Aniplex USA Licenses Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Anime (Update)
posted on 2014-12-17 14:35 EST by Karen Ressler
Aniplex of America announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the upcoming anime Saenai Heroine no Sodate-kata as Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend and will simulcast the series on Aniplex Channel, Crunchyroll, and Hulu.
Fumiaki Maruto's original light novels with illustrations by Kurehito Misaki revolve around Tomoya Aki, an otaku who is working part-time to earn enough money to buy anime on Blu-ray, who meets a beautiful girl on his way home during spring vacation. He eventually models the heroine of his own dojin game after her. However, he finds out a month later that the girl is in fact his classmate, and he doesn't know her name. He learns that the girl — named Megumi — actually is hardly noticed by others. Tomoya also has no artistic ability or writing skills, so he asks ace of the art club Eriri Spencer Sawamura to provide the art, as well as the honor student Utaha Kasumigaoka to write the scenario. Can they produce a decent game for Comic Market?
The cast includes:
- Saori Ōnishi (Senki Zesshō Symphogear G 's Ayumi, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou's Shiho) as Eriri Spencer Sawamura
- Ai Kayano (anohana's Menma, Guilty Crown's Inori) as Utaha Kasumigaoka
- Sayuri Yahagi (To Love-Ru's Haruna Sairenji, Hayate the Combat Butler's Izumi Segawa) as Michiru Hyōdō
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Sword Art Online's Kirito, Buddy Complex's Aoba Watase) as Tomoya Aki
- Chinatsu Akasaki (Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!' Shinka) as Izumi Hashima
- Tetsuya Kakihara (Fairy Tail's Natsu) as Iori Hashima
Kanta Kamei (Bunny Drop, Nanana's Buried Treasure, Oreshura, Tales of Vesperia ~The First Strike~) is directing the anime at A-1 Pictures. Maruto! (White Album 2) is, himself, writing the scripts and Hajime Hyakkoku (K-ON!, GJ Club) of F.M.F is composing the music.
The anime will premiere on January 8 in Japan. Aniplex of America will announce its premiere times at a later date.
Update: Aniplex began streaming a subtitled announcement trailer:
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history