Banjou Ginga, Rina Hidaka Join Food Wars: Shokugeki no Sōma Cast
posted on by Karen Ressler
This year's 16th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump will announce four new cast members for the upcoming Food Wars: Shokugeki no Sōma television anime. The new cast includes:
- Ai Kakuma as Mayumi Kurasu
- Banjou Ginga as Senzaemon Nakiri
- Rina Hidaka as Urara Kawashima
- Rikiya Koyama as Jōichirō Yukihira
The magazine also announced that the series will premiere on TBS' "Animeism" block at night on April 3 (morning of April 4) at 2:25 a.m., and also air on MBS, CBS, BS-TBS, and Animax.
Yoshitsugu Matsuoka will play the titular character Sōma Yukihira. Other previously announced cast members include:
- Risa Taneda as Erina Nakiri
- Minami Takahashi as Megumi Tadokoro
- Shizuka Ishigami as Ikumi Mito
- Natsuki Hanae as Takumi Aldini
- Yuuki Ono as Isami Aldini
- Saori Ōnishi as Hisako Arato
- Takahiro Sakurai as Satoshi Isshiki
- Ai Kayano as Ryōko Sakaki
- Maaya Uchida as Yūki Yoshino
- Taishi Murata as Shun Ibusaki
- Yūsuke Kobayashi as Zenji Marui
Yūto Tsukuda and Shun Saeki's original Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma comedy manga centers on Sōma, who works with his dad at his family's restaurant. His dad is a culinary master, and he often hosts cooking battles with his father. His father then enrolls him in an elite culinary school that is very difficult to enter, and the graduation rate is only about 10 percent.
Yoshitomo Yonetani (GaoGaiGar, Betterman) is directing the anime at J.C. Staff. Shogo Yasukawa (Terraformars, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Invaders of the Rokujyōma!?) is in charge of the series scripts, and Tomoyuki Shitaya (Bakuman., BlazBlue Alter Memory, Hatsukoi Limited) is designing the characters. Jin Aketagawa is the sound director, and Tatsuya Katou (Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Medaka Box) is composing the soundtrack.
The rock band Tokyo Karan Koron will perform the ending theme song, and the rock band ULTRATOWER will perform the opening theme song "Kibō no Uta."
Saeki and Tsukuda launched the manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in November 2012, and Shueisha will ship the 12th compiled volume on April 3. Yuki Morisaki, a cosplay chef and model, also contributes to the manga, and each volume of the manga features recipes. Viz Media is releasing the manga in North America.