Hideo Kojima, del Toro Plan to Collaborate on New Project
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
Video game news source IGN reported on Friday that game director Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear) and acclaimed film director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Mimic, Blade II, Pacific Rim) still plan to develop a new project together.
"I love working with Kojima-san," del Toro said in an interview with IGN. "We are still in touch. We are still friends and working into doing something together, but that's not going to be [Silent Hills]."
Del Toro also commented on the cancelled video game Silent Hills.
“We were in the planning stages, and it's a shame it's not going to happen,” del Toro said. “We were talking about really pushing the boundaries of the new consoles, and making the game really mess with your head. One of the great moments in Metal Gear [Solid] was Psycho Mantis. The idea that a game can actually interact with you, and stuff like that.”
Kojima and 7780s Studio's "P.T." (Playable Teaser) demo was removed from the PlayStation Network for United States users in May. The demo revealed the Silent Hills project last August as a game with "no direct relation to the main title."
The cancelled project featured Kojima, del Toro, and actor Norman Reedus (The Walking Dead, Mimic, Blade II, Iron Man: Rise of Technovore). The credits listed Kojima Productions (with its Fox Engine software) and Konami.
Voice actor Akio Ohtsuka, who has played Solid Snake and Big Boss in the Metal Gear Solid video game franchise, wrote on his personal Twitter account earlier this month that Kojima Productions had been dissolved.
During Konami's restructuring in March, there were unconfirmed rumors that Kojima would be leaving the company after completing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Konami has not yet addressed the rumors. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is slated to ship for multiple consoles worldwide on September 1.