Level-5's Snack World CG Film Opens With Yo-kai Watch on December 19
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official website of the Eiga Yo-kai Watch: Enma Daioh to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan! (Film Yo-kai Watch: Great King Enma and the 5 Stories, Meow!) anime film announced on Tuesday that TOHO will open the 3D CG anime film of game developer Level-5's new The Snack World cross-media project in Japanese theaters on December 19. The Snack World film will play with screeeings of Yo-kai Watch film, which opens on the same day.
The "hyper casual fantasy" is set in Snack World, a seemingly traditional fantasy world — except it has convenience stores, smartphones, and other elements of the modern world.
Level-5 previously streamed the project's pilot film in both Japanese and English audio.
The cast includes, from top left to bottom right:
- Sachiko Hara/Ayana Taketatsu as Mayone (wordplay on mayonaise)
- Emily Reams/Megumi Han as Chup (ketchup)
- David Shaufele/Kenji Sugimura as Pepperon (pepperoni)
- Laurier Tiernan/Megumi Okada as Francene/Butako (pig/buta and tatsunoko/sea horse/dragon's child)
- Dwayne Lawler/Tadashi Miyazawa as Gobson (goblin and hobson)
- Nick/Yoshiyuki Kaneko as King Majesty/Ōsama (king)
- Jenny Skidmore/Ryoka Yuzuki as Princess Melora (melon)
- Brett Coleman/Tanuki Sugino as Vinegarr (vinegar, not pictured)
- Charles Glover/Takeshi Maruyama as Minister Gastank (not pictured)
- Laurier Tiernan/Yū Seki as Crouton (not pictured)
The Snack World is Level-5's fourth cross-media project after Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers eXperience, and Yo-kai Watch. Aside from the 3D CG anime film, the project will feature a Nintendo 3DS/Android/iOS game by Level-5, a full-CG television animation airing on TV Tokyo, a manga series running in Shogakukan's Monthly CoroCoro Comic magazine, and a toy line from Takara Tomy.
The project will have "Jara," a line of small items with embedded chips that will be sold with a "TreJara Box" (a pun on "treasure" and "Jara"). The Jara will interact with the game; touching the lower screen of the 3DS with the Jara will let the player obtain the same item within the game. The items will have various effects such as increasing spell recipes.
Level-5 head Akihiro Hino is serving as the project's chief director, and he also penned the original story concept, script, and the lyrics for the theme song "Mugen the World" sung by micca. Takeshi Mori (Otaku no Video, Gunsmith Cats, Chain Chronicle) is directing the film. Takuzō Nagano (Inazuma Eleven, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE, Professor Layton, Yo-kai Watch franchises) designed the characters. Rei Kondoh (LBX franchise) scored the music.