News Live-Action Higurashi Show Reveals Story, NGT48 Theme Song, May 20 Debut
posted on 2016-04-13 12:19 EDT
The live-action television series based on Ryūkishi07 and 07th Expansion's popular When They Cry - Higurashi (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) horror software will feature a theme song by members of the AKB48 idols' sister group NGT48. The same members are also starring in the series itself, which will premiere on May 20 at 9:00 p.m.
The "Kimi wa Doko ni Iru?" (Where Are You?) theme song will ship in the theater version of AKB48's 44th single on June 1. AKB48 franchise founder Yasushi Akimoto created this new song for the live-action series.
07th Expansion's original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni visual novel software revolves around murders that coincide with an annual festival in a quiet rural village. The software reveals the underlying mysteries in a series of story arcs. The live-action series will cover three of the Question arcs from the software — Abducted by Demons, Cotton Drifting, and Curse Killing — with about two episodes per arc.
The main cast includes:
- Minami Katō as Rena Ryūgū
- Rika Nakai as Mion Sonozaki, Shion Sonozaki
- Reina Seiji as Satoko Hōjō
- Hinata Honma as Rika Furude
- Rie Kitahara as Miyo Takano
- Moeka Takakura as 'the mysterious girl'
- Yuuma Ishigaki (Black Jack: The Two Doctors Of Darkness's Rock, Azumi's Nagara) as the lead male role, Jirō Tomitake
- Yū Inaba (Kamen Rider Drive's Go Shijima) as Keiichi Maebara
- Tomohiro Kaku (The Case of Hana & Alice's Asanaga-sensei) as Kyōsuke Irie
- Tomohiro Waki (live-action Gokusen's Teruo "Kuma" Kumai) as Teppei Hōjō
- Shinobu Tsuruta as Kuraudo Ōishi
The television adaptation with eight one-hour episodes will premiere on the BS SkyPer! channel in May, and the first episode will be offered for free. The show will air every Friday at 9:00 p.m. Tōru Ōtsuka and Tarō Miyaoka are directing, and Toru Hasegawa is writing. MMJ (Media Mix Japan) is collaborating on the production with SkyPer!.
The original software inspired two television anime series, several video anime projects, two live-action films, and manga adaptations by several artists.