Level-5's Snack World Video Reveals TV Anime's April Premiere
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Level-5 unveiled a new CG anime video for The Snack World cross-media project during its "Level-5 Vision 2016 -New Heroes-" presentation on Wednesday. The video shows more CG footage, while also featuring scenes from the previous pilot film, and also reveals that the television anime will premiere at prime time on TV Tokyo in April 2017.
Level-5 revealed via press release on Wednesday that Level-5's subsidiary Level-5 abby will handle the franchise's overseas expansion, although the press release added that the "rollout schedule is yet to be determined."
The "hyper casual fantasy" is set in Snack World, a seemingly traditional fantasy world — except it has convenience stores, smartphones, and other elements of the modern world. Level-5 previously streamed the project's pilot film in both Japanese and English audio.
The pilot film's cast included, from top left to bottom right:
- Sachiko Hara/Ayana Taketatsu as Mayone (wordplay on mayonaise)
- Emily Reams/Megumi Han as Chup (ketchup)
- David Shaufele/Kenji Sugimura as Pepperon (pepperoni)
- Laurier Tiernan/Megumi Okada as Francene/Butako (pig/buta and tatsunoko/sea horse/dragon's child)
- Dwayne Lawler/Tadashi Miyazawa as Gobson (goblin and hobson)
- Nick/Yoshiyuki Kaneko as King Majesty/Ōsama (king)
- Jenny Skidmore/Ryoka Yuzuki as Princess Melora (melon)
- Brett Coleman/Tanuki Sugino as Vinegarr (vinegar, not pictured)
- Charles Glover/Takeshi Maruyama as Minister Gastank (not pictured)
- Laurier Tiernan/Yū Seki as Crouton (not pictured)
The project will have "Jara," a line of small items with embedded chips that Takara Tomy will sell with a "TreJara Box" (a pun on "treasure" and "Jara"). The Jara will interact with the game; touching the lower screen of the 3DS with the Jara will let the player obtain the same item within the game, and activate new quests. The items will have various effects such as increasing spell recipes. Within the story of the franchise, the Jara exist as items made by manufacturers. Takara Tomy unveiled four fictional ads for the in-franchise companies during the presentation.
The Snack World is Level-5's fourth cross-media project after Inazuma Eleven, Little Battlers eXperience, and Yo-kai Watch. The project's CG anime film opened alongside the second Yo-Kai Watch film last December. The project will feature a Nintendo 3DS/Android/iOS game by Level-5 and a manga series running in Shogakukan's Monthly Coro coro Comics magazine. The game is slated for April 2017 for iOS and Android devices, and July 2017 for the Nintendo 3DS. The manga will launch this winter.
Level-5 head Akihiro Hino is serving as the project's chief director, and he also penned the original story concept, script, and the lyrics for the theme song "Mugen the World" sung by Micca.