Teekyū Anime Renewed for Season 8 in October
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official website for the television anime of Piyo and Roots' Teekyū manga revealed on Wednesday that an eighth anime season has been green-lit. The new season will premiere in October on the Tokyo MX and Sun TV stations.
The returning cast members include (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Kana Hanazawa as Marimo Bandō
- Yui Watanabe as Yuri Oshimoto
- Kyōko Narumi as Nasuno Takamiya
- Ryota Ohsaka as Yōta Oshimoto
- Eri Kitamura as Anenkofu Kondō
- Kaori Ishihara as Udonko Kondō
- Yui Ogura as Tomarin
- Suzuko Mimori as Kanae Shinjō
Yuki Nakashima is also returning as Kinako Tanaka. Other cast members in previous seasons include:
- Shinya Takahashi as Nasuno's father
- Hirokazu Machida as Cake shop manager/Tenchio Keikiya
- Izumi Araida as Ayako Suzuki
- Hikaru Koide as Kurumi Satō
- Maria Tanijiri as Nishi Nishiaraidaishi
The original manga and the anime both follow the everyday lives of four girls in a high school tennis club — although they hardly play any tennis.
Piyo and Roots launched the original Teekyū manga in Comic Earth Star in early 2012, and the first anime season was announced just months later on the manga's first book volume. Earth Star Entertainment claims that this is the fastest television anime adaptation ever. A second and third season followed. Crunchyroll streamed the previous seven seasons of the show, as well as the Takamiya Nasuno Desu! and Usakame spinoffs, as they aired in Japan.
The show's seventh season premiered on January 11, after the sixth season premiered last October, and the fifth season premiered in July 2015. The spinoff series Takamiya Nasuno Desu! (I am Nasuno Takamiya) also premiered in April 2015. Piyo and Roots' spinoff manga Usakame also received a television anime, which premiered on April 11. Starting from the fourth season of Teekyū, production switched from MAPPA to Millepensee, and the studio also produced the Takamiya Nasuno Desu! and Usakame spinoffs.
Source: Anime! Anime!