'your name.', In This Corner of the World Anime Films Win at 71st Mainichi Film Awards
posted on 2017-01-20 01:30 EST by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The Mainichi Shimbun and Sports Nippon Shimbun newspapers announced the winners for the 71st Annual Mainichi Film Awards on Thursday. Makoto Shinkai's your name. film won this year's Best Animation Film award. The film also won the TSUTAYAxFilmarks Movie Fan Award in the Japanese Film category, which is voted on by movie fans.
In addition, Sunao Katabuchi's In This Corner of the World film won the Japanese Movie Award of Excellence, as well as the Noburou Oofuji Award, which honors animated works that offer new forms of creative expression. kotringo's soundtrack for the film also won the Best Music award.
Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi's Shin Godzilla won the Best Japanese Movie award, and Yuji Hayashida and Eri Sakushima also won the Best Art Design award for the film. Mikako Ichikawa won the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance for the film.
Ayami Nakajō also received the Sponichi Grand Prix Rookie of the Year award for her role in the live-action Setoutsumi film, based on Kazuya Konomoto's manga of the same name.
This year's awards ceremony will be held on February 15 at the Muza Kawasaki Symphony Hall in Kawasaki city.
Mainichi Shimbun launched the Noburou Oofuji Award in 1962, and it is Japan's oldest ongoing animation award. The newspaper then launched the Animation Film Award in 1989.
Previous winners of the Animation Film Award include:
- 2016 - Miss Hokusai
- 2015 - Giovanni's Island
- 2014 - The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
- 2013 - Wolf Children
- 2012 - Hotarubi no Mori e
- 2011 - Colorful
- 2010 - Summer Wars
- 2009 - Sky Crawlers
Previous winners of the Noburou Oofuji Award include:
- 2016 - Ryo Orikasa's "Suijun Genten" clay-animated short
- 2015 - Onohana's "Yodomi no Sawagi" ("Crazy Little Thing") anime short
- 2014 - Akira Oda's "Umi ni Ochita Tsuki no Hanashi" ("The moon that fell into the sea") anime short
- 2013 - Katsuhiro Otomo's "Combustible" animated short
- 2012 - Isamu Hirabayashi's "663114" anime short
- 2011 - No award given
- 2010 - Hideto Nakata and Sovat Theater's "Denshin-Bashira Elemi no Koi" stop-motion animation film
- 2009 - Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's Ponyo anime film
The Japan Academy Prize Association also nominated your name. and In This Corner of the World for Animation of the Year earlier this week. Shin Godzilla is also nominated as Picture of the Year.