The Pokémon Company, Toei Animation, Viz Media Rank in Top 150 Global Licensors of 2016
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
UBM's License! Global publication released its list of the Top 150 Global Licensors in 2016 on Thursday. The report "ranks owners of intellectual property by annual retail sales of licensed products."
The report lists the following companies in the top 150 with a retail sales amount for 2016:
- Hasbro at #6 with retail sales of US$6.2 billion
- Sanrio at #12 with retail sales of US$4.4 billion
- The Pokémon Company International at #19 with retail sales of US$3.3 billion
- Toei Animation at #28 with retail sales of US$2.5 billion
- Cartoon Network Enterprises at #31 with retail sales of US$2.1 billion
- Saban Brands at #57 with retail sales of US$900 million
- 4K Media at #107 with retail sales of US$200 million
- Viz Media North America at #150 with retail sales of US$60 million
The report attributes the success of The Pokémon Company in 2016 to the Pokémon GO, Pokémon Sun, and Pokémon Moon games, and the Pokémon trading card game. The magazine stated that the trading card game has 21.5 billion cards shipped globally as of 2016. The report also stated Pokémon GO has been downloaded more than 650 million times, and that the Pokémon video game franchise has sold 280 million copies before Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon went on sale in November.
License! Global stated that The Pokémon Company earned US$2.1 billion in 2015, ranking it at #29 on the 2015 list. The Pokémon Company marked its first year earning at least US$2 billion in 2014, a 33% increase from its US$1.5-billion revenue in 2013.
The Walt Disney Company topped the 2016 list with retail sales of US$56.6 billion in 2016.
Regarding Viz Media, the report stated that "Naruto Shippūden continues to be one of the top properties for the company, as well as One-Punch Man." The report added that the Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm video game series has shipped more than 15 million copies worldwide, and the Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 game, which shipped last year, sold more units than any previous Naruto Shippūden game in North America and South America. Additionally, Funko has sold "close to 300,000 units" of Naruto Shippūden-related Pop! Vinyl figures and Pop!-related products.