News Funimation Licenses Live-Action Tokyo Ghoul Film
posted on 2017-05-31 18:52 EDT
Funimation Entertainment announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the live-action Tokyo Ghoul film. The company plans to release the film theatrically in Japanese with English subtitles.
Funimation also confirmed that Cinema Today's livestream presentation about the film will be English-subtitled. The presentation will take place on Friday at 5:30 a.m. EDT and will feature director Kentaro Hagiwara, actor Masataka Kubota, and original creator Sui Ishida (Ishida's appearance will be by text through the internet). The presentation will also have a "special announcement."
The film will open in Japan on July 29. The cast includes:
- Masataka Kubota (live-action Death Note, Mars, Photo Braver 7 television series) as Ken Kaneki
- Fumika Shimizu as Tōka Kirishima
- Yuu Aoi (live-action Rurouni Kenshin's Megumi) as Rize Kamishiro
- EXILE's Nobuyuki Suzuki as Kōtarō Amon
- Yo Oizumi (voice of Layton in the Professor Layton series) as Kureo Mado
- Kunio Murai (live-action Nobunaga Concerto) as Kuzen Yoshimura
- Kenta Hamano (live-action Moteki) as Enji Koma
- Nozomi Sasaki (One Piece Film Z) as Kaya Irimi
- Shuntarō Yanagi (live-action Crows Explode) as Renji Yomo
- Hiyori Sakurada (live-action Nigakute Amai) as Hinami Fueguchi
- Shōko Aida (The Case of Hana & Alice) as Ryōko Fueguchi
- Kai Ogasawara as Hideyoshi "Hide" Nagachika
- Kabuki actor Minosuke Bandō as Uta
- Shunya Shiraishi as Nishio Nishiki
- Seika Furuhata as Yoriko Kosaka
- Tomoya Maeno as Ippei Kusaba
- Dankan as Hisashi Ogura
- Ryō Iwamatsu as Akihiro Kanō
Kentarō Hagiwara ("Super Star" short) is directing the film, and the production shot principal photography from last July to September. Masanori Morikawa, a Christian Dada designer and a fan of the original manga, designed the masks and costumes of the ghouls in the film.