Live-Action Tokyo Ghoul Film Reveals English-Subtitled Trailer, Theme Song (Updated)
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
Cinema Today's livestream presentation of the live-action Tokyo Ghoul film's kickoff event revealed a new English-subtitled trailer on Friday. The video previews Kaneki's transformation into a half-ghoul.
The presentation, which included live English interpretation, also announced that the RADWIMPS band songwriter and guitarist Yōjirō Noda's is performing the film's theme song "Banka" as his solo project illion.
The presentation took place on Friday at 5:30 a.m. EDT and featured director Kentaro Hagiwara, actor Masataka Kubota, and original creator Sui Ishida (Ishida's appearance was by text through the internet). The presentation featured a discussion with the guests and live questions from fans around the world.
Funimation announced on Wednesday that it has licensed the film. The company plans to release the film theatrically in North America in Japanese with English subtitles. The film's official website also revealed a new visual and stills on Wednesday.
The film will open in Japan on July 29. The cast includes:
- Masataka Kubota (live-action Death Note, Mars, Photo Braver 7 television series) as Ken Kaneki
- Fumika Shimizu as Tōka Kirishima
- Yuu Aoi (live-action Rurouni Kenshin's Megumi) as Rize Kamishiro
- EXILE's Nobuyuki Suzuki as Kōtarō Amon
- Yo Oizumi (voice of Layton in the Professor Layton series) as Kureo Mado
- Kunio Murai (live-action Nobunaga Concerto) as Kuzen Yoshimura
- Kenta Hamano (live-action Moteki) as Enji Koma
- Nozomi Sasaki (One Piece Film Z) as Kaya Irimi
- Shuntarō Yanagi (live-action Crows Explode) as Renji Yomo
- Hiyori Sakurada (live-action Nigakute Amai) as Hinami Fueguchi
- Shōko Aida (The Case of Hana & Alice) as Ryōko Fueguchi
- Kai Ogasawara as Hideyoshi "Hide" Nagachika
- Kabuki actor Minosuke Bandō as Uta
- Shunya Shiraishi as Nishio Nishiki
- Seika Furuhata as Yoriko Kosaka
- Tomoya Maeno as Ippei Kusaba
- Dankan as Hisashi Ogura
- Ryō Iwamatsu as Akihiro Kanō
Kentarō Hagiwara ("Super Star" short) is directing the film, and the production shot principal photography from last July to September. Masanori Morikawa, a Christian Dada designer and a fan of the original manga, designed the masks and costumes of the ghouls in the film. Don Davis (The Matrix film trilogy) is composing the film's music, and Nicholas Becker (Arrival, Zero Gravity, Batman Begins) is in charge of sound special effects.
Source: Comic Natalie
Update: The livestream also announced that the film will premiere on July 3 at Anime Expo in Los Angeles, July 7 in Berlin, and July 10 at the Marunouchi Piccadilly theater in Chiyoda, Japan. The livestream also confirmed that the film will get a release in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand, Philippines, Germany, Autstria, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada, Korea, China, Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history