Laughing Under the Clouds Gaiden Anime Film Trilogy Reveals Visual, More Staff
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
The official website for the anime trilogy film adaptation of Kemuri Karakara's Donten ni Warau Gaiden (Laughing Under the Clouds - Side Story) manga revealed a new visual for the project on Thursday, as well as the trilogy's staff.
Tetsuya Wakano (episode director for Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, The Rolling Girls, Danbōru Senki Wars) is directing the trilogy at Wit Studio. Eiji Umehara (Grimoire of Zero, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne) is handling the series composition, and Kii Tanaka (M3 the dark metal, KONOSUBA - God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2) is the character designer and chief animation director. Hitomi Ezoe (episode director for new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise, My Hero Academia season 2) is the assistant director, and Yutaka Yamada (Tokyo Ghoul, Tokyo Ghoul √A) is composing the music. Other staff members include:
- Action Animation Director: Koichi Usami
- Animation Directors: Kenji Fujisaki, Shinichi Nozaki, Takuma Ebisu, Natsuko Suzuki
- Prop Design: Kenji Fujisaki, Shinya Asanuma
- Color Design: Miyuki Kibata
- Director of Photography: Hideki Imaizumi
- Music Production: Shochiku Music Publishing
- Sound Director: Shoji Hata
- Sound Production: Sound Team Don Juan
The project will feature three 60-minute installments. The first film, titled Donten ni Warau Gaiden - Ketsubetsu, Yamainu no Chikai (Laughing Under the Clouds Gaiden - Parting, The Oath of the Yamainu), will open in Japan on December 2.
All of the film's cast return from the anime, except for Toru Ohkawa and Fumiko Orikasa, who play Taiko Kumo and Koyuki Kumo respectively. The returning cast includes:
- Yūichi Nakamura as Tenka Kumo
- Yuuki Kaji as Soramaru Kumo
- Tsubasa Yonaga as Chūtarō Kumo
- Kousuke Toriumi as Abe no Sōsei
- Hiroki Yasumoto as Seiichirō Takamine
- Sayaka Ohara as Kiiko Sasaki
- Yuuki Fujiwara as Mutsuki Ashiya
- Takahiro Fujiwara as Zenzō Inukai
- Hiroshi Iwasaki as Chenran Shi
- Hiro Shimono as Rakuchō Takeda
- Kenichi Suzumura as Hirari
- Rina Satou as Botan
- Mamiko Noto as Nishiki
- Takahiro Sakurai as Shirasu Kenjō
The manga includes stories not told in the original manga, including some from the past and some from the future. The original manga's story takes place in the 11th year of the Meiji era, when the number of people in Japan who feel dissatisfaction toward the government are increasing due to the increasing speed of Westernization and the ban on samurai. In order to curb the increased rate of crime, the government opens a new prison. The three brothers of the Kumo family are entrusted with the duty of transporting these criminals to the new prison, but adventures await them on the way.
Karakara launched Donten ni Warau Gaiden on Mag Garden's "Beat's" manga site in 2014 after publishing the original Donten ni Warau manga in Mag Garden's Monthly Comic Avarus magazine from 2011-2013. Donten ni Warau Gaiden ended on February 3. The original manga is also inspiring a live-action film that will open on March 21.
Source: Comic Natalie