Complex x Complex, Lu Over the Wall Anime Win at 72nd Mainichi Film Awards
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
The Mainichi Shimbun and Sports Nippon Shimbun newspapers announced the winners for the 72nd Annual Mainichi Film Awards on Thursday. Miyuki Fukuda's Complex x Complex 25-minute short film won this year's Best Animation Film award.
This year's awards ceremony will be held on February 15 at the Muza Kawasaki Symphony Hall in Kawasaki, Kanagawa.
The Mainichi Shimbun launched the Noburou Oofuji Award in 1962, and it is Japan's oldest ongoing animation award. The newspaper then launched the Animation Film Award in 1989.
Previous winners of the Animation Film Award include:
- 2017 - your name.
- 2016 - Miss Hokusai
- 2015 - Giovanni's Island
- 2014 - The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
- 2013 - Wolf Children
- 2012 - Hotarubi no Mori e
- 2011 - Colorful
- 2010 - Summer Wars
- 2009 - Sky Crawlers
Previous winners of the Noburou Oofuji Award include:
- 2017 - Sunao Katabuchi's In This Corner of the World
- 2016 - Ryo Orikasa's "Suijun Genten" clay-animated short
- 2015 - Onohana's "Yodomi no Sawagi" ("Crazy Little Thing") anime short
- 2014 - Akira Oda's "Umi ni Ochita Tsuki no Hanashi" ("The moon that fell into the sea") anime short
- 2013 - Katsuhiro Otomo's "Combustible" animated short
- 2012 - Isamu Hirabayashi's "663114" anime short
- 2011 - No award given
- 2010 - Hideto Nakata and Sovat Theater's "Denshin-Bashira Elemi no Koi" stop-motion animation film
- 2009 - Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's Ponyo anime film
Source: The Mainichi Shimbun
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history