Live-Action Alita: Battle Angel Film's Comic-Con Trailer Streamed
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
20th Century Fox began streaming a new trailer on Monday for Alita: Battle Angel, Robert Rodriguez's live-action film of Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita (GUNNM) manga. The trailer was first shown along with 18 minutes of other footage at a panel at the Comic-Con International: San Diego event on Friday.
IGN also posted a video on Friday previewing a figure that was on display on the Comic Con show floor.
The film will open in Japan with the Alita: Battle Angel title, and not with the manga's original GUNNM (銃夢) title. The protagonist's name in the film is also Alita in Japanese, not Gally as in the original Japanese version of the manga. The film will open in Japan this summer.
- Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, Spectre, The Legend of Tarzan) as Doctor Dyson Ido, "the cybersurgeon who finds the cyborg [protagonist] and becomes her mentor."
- Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen, A Nightmare on Elm Street remake, Preacher, The Dark Tower, The Birth of a Nation) as "a monstrous cyborg in a villain role that will call for plenty of CG and greenscreen."
- Ed Skrein (The Transporter Refueled, Deadpool) as Zapan, "a villainous cyborg who is in possession of a weapon called the Damascus blade."
- Keean Johnson (Nashville, Spooksville) as Hugo, the "love interest" and "a young man who teaches Alita how to play a gladiator-style game called Motorball but who also has a secret side job stealing robot parts."
- Elza González (From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series)
- Jorge Lendeborg Jr. (Spider-Man: Homecoming,The Land) as the "cunning and sly friend" of Keean Johnson's character.
- Lana Condor (X-Men: Apocalypse) as Koyomi, an orphaned teenage photographer in the manga.
- Leonard Wu (Marco Polo) as Kinuba, a cyborg character in the manga.
- Marko Zaror (Machete Kills) as Ajakutty, a Motorball player who also appears in the original manga.
- Jennifer Connelly (American Pastoral, Hulk, Dark Water) as one of the film's villains.
- Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and the Furious) as Gelda.
- Mahershala Ali (Moonlight, Hidden Figures) as two unspecified roles
The Hollywood Reporter described the film:
Set in the 26th century, Alita: Battle Angel tells of a female cyborg that is discovered in a trash yard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.
The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.
Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sin City, Spy Kids) is directing the film. James Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau are producing the project, and Shutter Island's Laeta Kalogridis penned a script.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rodriguez said that the film is a self-contained story but "it tunes up a world and a character that could go on and on." Cameron originally planned for a film trilogy.
Thanks to Daniel Zelter for the news tip.