Ikki Tousen Western Wolves Anime Previews 1st Episode in Video
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
The three-episode OVA will ship on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on February 27. The anime will also air on AT-X, with the first episode airing on January 3 and the second and third episodes airing in the beginning of February and the beginning of March, respectively.
The anime stars:
(Note: The last five characters listed below are new to the anime franchise)
- Masumi Asano as Hakufu Sonsaku
- Kei Shindou as Gentoku Ryūbi
- Hitomi Nabatame as Unchou Kan'u
- Minori Chihara as Ekitoku Chōhi
- Chiaki Takahashi as Himiko
- Ami Koshimizu as Shin-men Takezō
- Satoshi Hino as Kōkin Shūyū
- Yuko Kaida as Shimei Ryomō
- Mai Kadowaki as Kōmei Shokatsuryō
- Yuu Asakawa as Shiryū Chō'un
- Susumu Akagi as Mōtoku Sōsō
- Shuuhei Sakaguchi as Genjō Kakōton
- Hana Takeda as Chūkō Kyocho
- Chiwa Saito as Shikō Sōjin
- Rui Tanabe as Mitsuyoshi Yagyū
- Yuiko Tatsumi as Yoshitsune Minamotonokurō
- Ayaka Ohashi as Chūbō Sonken (replacing Yui Horie)
- Hiromi Igarashi as Ashiya Dōman
- Hisao Egawa as Shikyo Shōnin
- Honoka Inoue as Ekisai
- Minami Takahashi as Nansai
- Shizuka Itou as Kotetsu
The anime is a sequel to the 2014 OVA Ikki Tousen: Extravaganza Epoch, which aired on TV in December 2014 and shipped in Japan in February 2015.
Takashi Watanabe, who directed the original Ikki Tousen television anime, is returning as chief director at studio Arms (Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny, Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians, Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor). Mitsutoshi Satō (episode director for Venus Versus Virus, all three series of Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma) is directing the anime. Masaya Honda (Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor, Soul Buster) is in charge of series scripts, and Rin-Sin is returning from Dragon Destiny, Great Guardians, and Xtreme Xecutor as character designer. GENCO is producing the series.
Yuji Shiozaki's original Ikki Tousen (Battle Vixens) manga centers around Hakufu Sonsaku, a high school student who possesses a magatama that allows her to channel the spirit of the warrior Sun Ce from China's Three Kingdoms era. She fights students from other high schools, each bearing their own magatama and embodying a different hero from the era.
Shiozaki launched the manga in Wani Books' Monthly Comic Gum magazine in 2000, and serialized it in the magazine until it suspended publication in May 2015. Shiozaki then continued to serialize the manga on the Monthly Comic Gum website, which was renamed WEB Comic Gum, until August 2015.
Shiozaki launched the Shin Ikki Tousen manga in Shonengahosha's Young King Ours magazine in 2015, and the third compiled book volume shipped on April 23. A spinoff, Ikki Tousen Gaiden, launched in Shonengahosha's new Young King BULL magazine this year.
The manga has inspired four previous television anime and four previous OVAs.