Live-Action Chiwawa-chan Film's Video Previews Bar Scene
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
The official website for the live-action film adaptation of Kyoko Okazaki's Chiwawa-chan manga began streaming a promotional video on Wednesday. The video features the song "Bokura no Jidai" (Our Time) performed by Have a Nice Day!
In the video, a bartender (played by Songha) tells Chiwawa (played by Shiori Yoshida) and her friends that the person sitting in the VIP section of the bar has 6 million yen (about US$54,000) in her bag. The friends discuss the situation. Chiwawa takes a shot of tequila and decides to snatch the bag.
The film will open in Japan in January 18.
The cast includes (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Mugi Kadowaki as Miki, the protagonist
- Ryō Narita as Yoshida, Chiwawa's ex-boyfriend
- Kanichirō as Katsuo, Yoshida's friend
- Tina Tamashiro as Yumi, Chiwawa's friend
- Tadanobu Asano as Sakata, a cameraman and Chiwawa's new boyfriend
- Chiaki Kuriyama as Yūko, a writer
- Nijirō Murakami as Nagai, a man who loved Chiwawa
- Shiori Yoshida as Chiwawa
Ken Ninomiya is directing the film and penning the script, and the film began shooting on March 23. Pale Waves is performing the insert song "Television Romance."
The manga is a collection of short stories that all center on a single group of friends. The story begins when a girl nicknamed Chiwawa, who always stood out among her friends, is discovered murdered and hacked to pieces. When her friends come together to remember her and offer condolences, they realize that none of them truly knew her past or her personality.
Kadokawa published the manga in 1996, and a new edition shipped in 2004.