Ring Horror Franchise Reveals Sadako Film With May Opening
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The teaser site for the new installment in the Ring horror franchise revealed on Monday that the franchise is receiving a new film titled Sadako on May 24. The site also revealed the cast and story, as well as Hideo Nakata's return to the franchise as director.
Elaiza Ikeda will play the protagonist, a psychiatrist named Mayu Akikawa. The story will show the origins of the franchise's iconic antagonist Sadako. The other cast includes (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Takashi Tsukamoto as Yūsuke Ishida, a man who gets involved in the incident alongside Mayu
- Hiroya Shimizu as Kazuma, a YouTuber and Mayu's younger brother who is cursed by Sadako
- Rie Tomosaka as Hatsuko Sofue, the mother of an amnesiac girl
- Renn Kiriyama as Minoru Fujii, Mayu's colleage and fellow psychiatrist
- Himeka Himejima as a patient of Mayu who has lost her memory, and is currently hospitalized
The film is based on Koji Suzuki's novel Tide, the sixth and latest installment in the Ring novel series that has inspired the film franchise.
The franchise has received five films, as well as two Sadako 3D films. The first main film received a Hollywood remake in 2002, and had two sequels. A new Hollywood film titled Rings opened in February 2017.
The latest film in the Japanese franchise was a crossover film with the Ju-on horror franchise titled Sadako vs. Kayako. The film debuted in January 2017.