Sadako Horror Film's Trailer Previews Ziyoou-vachi Theme Song
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Kadokawa began streaming a trailer on Monday for Sadako, the Ring horror franchise's new film. The video reveals and previews the film's theme song "Seisen" (Crusade) by Ziyoou-vachi. The film's staff also revealed a new visual for the film.
The film will open in Japan on May 24. Hideo Nakata is returning to the franchise as director.
Elaiza Ikeda will play the protagonist, a psychiatrist named Mayu Akikawa. The story will show the origins of the franchise's iconic antagonist Sadako. The other cast includes (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Takashi Tsukamoto as Yūsuke Ishida, a man who gets involved in the incident alongside Mayu
- Hiroya Shimizu as Kazuma, a YouTuber and Mayu's younger brother who is cursed by Sadako
- Rie Tomosaka as Hatsuko Sofue, the mother of an amnesiac girl
- Renn Kiriyama as Minoru Fujii, Mayu's colleage and fellow psychiatrist
- HIMEKA Himejima as a patient of Mayu who has lost her memory, and is currently hospitalized
The film is based on Koji Suzuki's novel Tide, the sixth and latest installment in the Ring novel series that has inspired the film franchise.
The franchise has received five previous regular Japanese films, as well as two Sadako 3D films. (A television movie of the original novel predated the theatrical film franchise, followed by two later television series.) The first theatrical film received a 1999 Korean remake and a 2002 Hollywood remake, which in turn had its own sequel and spinoff short. A new Hollywood film titled Rings opened in February 2017.
The latest film in the Japanese franchise was a crossover film with the Ju-on horror franchise titled Sadako vs. Kayako. The film debuted in January 2017.