Death Stranding Game's 'Briefing' Trailer Outlines Sam's Mission
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official YouTube channel for Hideo Kojima's Kojima Productions game studio began streaming a new trailer on Thursday for its Death Stranding PlayStation 4 game. The trailer highlights protagonist Sam's mission to connect disparate cities in the former United Cities of America. The official PlayStation Japan YouTube channel is also streaming the Japanese version of the trailer.
Hideo Kojima unveiled a new visual for the game by artist Pablo Uchida.
The game will ship on November 8. The Collector's Edition of the game will include special cases, a BB Pod, a Ludens keychain, a digital soundtrack with behind-the-scenes video, 10 PSN character avatars, and four in-game items. The Digital Deluxe Edition will include the soundtrack, avatars, and in-game items. The Special Edition will include the Steelbook case, soundtrack, and in-game Ludens Mask item. The Japanese version of the game will include both English and Japanese audio tracks, but Kojima Productions has not yet revealed if the North American version of the game will also have the Japanese audio track.
The game's cast in both English and Japanese includes:
- Norman Reedus / Kenjiro Tsuda as Sam Bridges (character modeled on Norman Reedus)
- Lindsay Wagner / Kikuko Inoue as Amelie (character modeled on Lindsay Wagner)
- Léa Seydoux / Nana Mizuki as Fragile (character modeled on Léa Seydoux)
- Jesse Corti / Akihiko Ishizumi as Deadman (character modeled on director Guillermo del Toro)
- Troy Baker / Satoshi Mikami as Higgs
- Tommie Earl Jenkins / Akio Ohtsuka as Die-Hardman
- Mads Mikkelsen / Kazuhiro Yamaji as Cliff
- Maaya Sakamoto as Mama (model based on actress Margaret Qualley, English voice actor unknown)
- Darren Jacobs / Houchu Ohtsuka as Heartman (model based on filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn)
Kojima Productions describes the game:
Besieged by death's tide at every turn, Sam Bridges must brave a world utterly transformed by the Death Stranding. Carrying the stranded remnants of the future in his hands, Sam embarks on a journey to reunite the shattered world one step at a time. What is the mystery of the Death Stranding? What will Sam discover on the road ahead? A genre defining gameplay experience holds these answers and more.
Kojima Productions is developing the game using Guerilla Games' Decima Engine. The game will be an action game, and will have open-world elements with "some degree of freedom." Kojima stated the game's name originates from the phenomenon of cetacean stranding, where dolphins and whales wash up on land and die. While other games offer elements analogous to "sticks" for gameplay, Death Stranding will also offer "ropes" to tie and link players together.