Odex Reveals Demon Slayer Film's Southeast Asian Opening Dates
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Odex announced its tentative opening dates for its screening of the Demon Slayer – Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie: Mugen Train anime film in various Southeast Asian territories last Friday. The release schedule is as follows:
- Singapore (Golden Village exclusive): Uncut NC16 fan screening on November 7, PG13 fan screening on November 14, NC16 general screening starts on November 19, PG13 general screening starts on December 3, NC16 fan screening with merchandise, PG13 fan screening with merchandise on December 26.
- Malaysia and Brunei (GSC & Mall Cineplex exclusive, no fan screening planned for Brunei): fan screening on December 5, fan screening with merchandise on December 19, general screening starts on February 4
- Vietnam (Galaxy Cinema exclusive): fan screening on December 19, fan screening with merchandise on December 26, general screening starts on January 9
- Indonesia (CGV Cinemas exclusive): fan screening with merchandise in January, general screening starts in February
- Philippines (SM Cinemas exclusive): fan screening with merchandise in January, general screening starts in February
- Myanmar (Mega Ace, jCGV exclusive): fan screening with merchandise in January, general screening starts in February
The film opened in Japan last Friday in 403 theaters, and it also began screening in all 38 IMAX theaters in Japan on the same day. The film sold 3,424,930 tickets and earned 4,623,117,450 yen (about US$43.85 million) in Japan in its first three days. The film sold 910,507 tickets and earned over 1,268,724,700 yen (about US$12.03 million) in its opening day alone, making it the highest weekday opening day for in Japan ever.
Aniplex of America describes the television anime's story:
It is the Taisho Period in Japan. Tanjiro, a kindhearted boy who sells charcoal for a living, finds his family slaughtered by a demon. To make matters worse, his younger sister Nezuko, the sole survivor, has been transformed into a demon herself.
Though devastated by this grim reality, Tanjiro resolves to become a “demon slayer” so that he can turn his sister back into a human, and kill the demon that massacred his family.