Phantasy Star Joins the SEGA AGES Lineup on Nintendo Switch
IRVINE, Calif. - Dec. 13, 2018 - Phantasy Star launches today on Nintendo Switch™ for $7.99 as part of the expanding lineup of SEGA AGES titles. Like all SEGA AGES releases, Phantasy Star is developed by the highly acclaimed retro development studio M2 and originally from the mind of legendary designer Rieko Kodama!
SEGA Games History: Lesser-Known Phantasy Star Facts
- Director Kotaro Hayashida, pen name Ossale Kohta, makes a special NPC appearance in Phantasy Star as Alex Ossale, a reference to his work on Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
- Yuki Naka, creator of Sonic The Hedgehog, is the mastermind behind the highly innovative pseudo-3D dungeons.
- Enjoy all of the amazing music featured in the SEGA AGES release of Phantasy Star in the newly-added Sound Test feature.
- All of the flavor text in the Monster Compendium has been newly written for the SEGA AGES release of Phantasy Star.
About Phantasy Star
One of the most innovative games of its time, Phantasy Star is a groundbreaking sci-fi RPG that follows Alis in her planet-spanning quest to avenge the death of her brother and topple a tyrannical regime. Besides faithfully recreating the original experience, this version adds something for everyone, including a new map display to help novice adventurers and a compendium where longtime fans can view their favorite monsters.
Phantasy Star is now available on the Nintendo Switch eShop in the Americas and Europe for $7.99 with commensurate European pricing.
Out Run Takes to the Streets in 2019!
Out Run will be out January 10, 2019! New features for the SEGA AGES release of Out Run include:
- Feel the sensation of those long drifts with the all-new gyro motion controls that take full advantage of the Nintendo Switch™ Joy-Con controllers!
- New music tracks serve to enhance the iconic soundtrack fans already know and love!
- Think you have what it takes to put your racing skills to the test? Compete against other players through a brand new ranking system!
About SEGA AGES
SEGA AGES is a series of classic SEGA titles being released on the Nintendo Switch™. Developed by M2, the Japanese developer known for high-quality ports of classic games such as the popular SEGA 3D Classics series on the Nintendo 3DS™, SEGA AGES aims to bring prominent titles from SEGA's legacy catalog to fans around the world. From a selection of home console classics to a multitude of perfectly-emulated arcade games, SEGA AGES gives fans the ability to build their own unique retro SEGA collection.
SEGA AGES originally debuted as SEGA Ages Vol. 1 Shukudai ga Tant-R, a compilation of enhanced arcade ports of Puzzle & Action: Tant-R and Quiz Shukudai wo Wasuremashita, released on the Sega Saturn in 1996 in Japan. Over time, the SEGA Ages series grew to encompass enhanced ports of dozens of games across multiple systems. The series also made an appearance in the West with SEGA Ages: Volume 1, a collection of enhanced ports of Space Harrier, Out Run, and After Burner II, released in 1997 on the Sega Saturn. Now, SEGA AGES is being rebooted on the Nintendo Switch™, delivering the most faithful ports of Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, and arcade games for the current generation. As you would expect from the retro geniuses at M2, these games will stay true to their original forms while incorporating new features that bring a refreshing twist to these classic titles' gameplay. For more information, please visit segaages.sega.com.
About SEGA® of America, Inc.:
SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Games Co., Ltd., a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Interactive Entertainment. SEGA of America's website is located at www.sega.com