The List 7 Couples Who Make Love and War
by Lynzee Loveridge,
Relying on one another in life or death situations can bring a whole new element of closeness. Duos who start out as simply war buddies grow into inseparable fighting pairs. Hurt one and you're sure to feel the wrath of the other. Lovers who fight together, stay together!
Beware! Spoilers abound for Fate/stay night and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.
7. Kenichi and Miu (KenIchi the Mightiest Disciple) Both Kenichi and Miu are accomplished martial artists. Both started out as friends with Kenichi developing feelings towards the more skilled Miu. She inspired him to better his own fighting abilities and the two are able to take on foes together with a natural sort of rhythm thanks to their experience of sparring together.
6. Yūji and Shana (Shakugan no Shana) Yuji begins his battles alongside Shana as an unwilling participate when he discovers he's basically already dead but also more or less immortal thanks to the "treasure tool" residing inside him. He eventually finds a way to supply his regenerated energy to Shana to help her fight other Denizens. He upgrades from merely an energy source to full-on fighter when he makes a contract with a Crimson God and gains the ability to create practically anything he wants.
5. Kirito and Asuna (Sword Art Online) The second arc of the first season aside, Kirito and Asuna begin working together to clear dungeon levels in hopes of escaping Aincrad. Asuna is initially a high ranking member of a guild, best known for her quick sword techniques. Kirito is the "Black Swordsman" and is also known for his battle prowess thanks to experience beta-testing the game. Love blossoms on the virtual battlefield and the two wed before taking on the game's creator together.
4. Sailor Uranus and Neptune (Sailor Moon) The two guardians first appear as shadows and later as anti-heroes to Sailor Moon's band of besties. What they really are is a pair of snarky badasses. Uranus is able to throw down earthquakes and cut enemies left and right while Neptune drowns them in giant waves. They rarely appear without one another or a quib for Inner Guardians lack of experience.
3. Kurogane and Fai (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicler) One extremely serious, the other the "genki" counterpart, Kurogane and Fai are nigh inseparable despite their seemingly opposite personalities. Both are most in tune with one another's fighting abilities, with Fai being an adept spellcaster, and Kurogane a ninja. What starts out as an inconvenient relationship becomes much deeper, especially when Fai's life is in Kurogane's hands and he literally sacrifices a limb on his behalf.
2. Guts and Casca (Berserk) An adept swordsman and Griffith's most trusted soldier, Casca is initially abrasive when Guts joins The Band of the Hawk. After proving time and again that he can actually wield his ridiculously-sized sword on the battlefield, the couple's apprehensions ease into romance. The both work together successfully in the Battle of Doldrey and later to rescue Griffith when he is imprisoned by the King of Midland (MISTAKE!).
1. Saber and Shiro Emiya (Fate/Stay night) Initially Emiya seems like a weak fighting partner to the more than capable Saber. His mage abilities are limited to repairing objects and he can't produce enough Mana to keep Saber going. As the two face more battles against other servants together, Emiya's own capabilities strengthen with some help from a truly legendary magical object and he's able to back Saber up by improving her weapon and tracing others.
The new poll: With examples like the Berserk movies, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Sailor Moon Crystal, what anime series would you most want to get a reboot?
The old poll: Last week we had two polls to wrap up the best Pretty Cures to bring into battle. Specifically, I asked which was your favorite Yellow PreCure and your favorite "Left-Over" for those less regular colors like purple and red. Here's the results!
- Cure Sunshine 31.6%
- Cure Rosetta 13.0%
- Cure Honey 12.1%
- Shiny Luminous 11.6%
- Cure Peace 11.6%
- Cure Lemonade 9.8%
- Cure Muse 5.6%
- Cure Pine 4.7%
- Cure Moonlight 39.8%
- Cure Ace 12.6%
- Cure Sword 11.0%
- Cure Passion 9.4%
- Cure Fortune 8.9%
- Cure Rouge 5.8%
- Cure March 4.7%
- Cure Mint 3.7%
- Cure Sunny 3.1%
- Cure Rhythm 1.0%
These last two polls mark the end of our ultimate PreCure team. Based on user responses, the PreCures most likely to win in a battle to the death are: Cure Black, Cure Diamond, Cure Sunshine, and Cure Moonlight.
When she isn't compiling lists of tropes, topics, and characters, Lynzee works as Associate Editor for Anime News Network, blogs about women and LBGT topics in anime and manga on her blog Engendered Dilemma, and posts pictures of her son on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee.
discuss this in the forum (79 posts) |