• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Just me or the second half of the latest episode turned into an episode of Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night, at least until the religious leader joined the band instead of just being the song writer than it become of a typical band anime like Kon, but it was Jellyfish for awhile.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
I agree that the show seems to be just going from impulse to impulse with no real direction. If I weren't liking it alright, I'd say it was floundering or flailing. Instead, I'll say it's ambling since it all seems to be part of its...I'm going to say lackadaisical...charm. If I'd had to try to predict where the show would be in a couple of episodes after the pilot, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have guessed that the bodyguard would be trying to form a rock band with an obsessed cult leader.

I do have to wonder how Livia ever got a job as a bodyguard though. She might make a great meat shield, but she doesn't exactly seem like the streetwise, jaded, cautious to the point of paranoid type. What, you want me to step inside this contraption whose purpose is completely unknown to me? Sure, if I can't trust an obviously unstable stalker who makes a living deceiving people, who can I trust?
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think the most consistent part of this show that I like is the opening song. I think that's the best part, but yeah even as I jump into the second episode, there is just....something that isn't capturing me. It feels like an Otaku-made anime. Just something that's shoddily put together by whatever the creatives wanted to happen or for the show to be about this week.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:05 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the show because it is so out there in regards to what you can expect. Not only does it switch between main characters every few episodes but you never know what direction it is going. It started off with an isekai entrance and I fully expected them to be persued by otheworlders and having to fight them off. What we now have is a split between detective stories and Livia switching job classes dozens of times while meeting lots of weirdos.

The aspect that sells me on the whole thing is that the characters are fun to watch, without that the thing would crumble down.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
Some anime I like because they're intense, and some anime I like because they require no emotional energy to watch but are fairly diverting. This one isn't a bad place to park your brain for a bit IMHO.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Agreed. But I want to point out an aspect of the show which snagged my attention and being the erudite academician I am, I shall name it thusly: fantastical realism. The show has obvious fantastical elements like another world and magic but interestingly enough, it sometimes dabbles in being a little bit more realistic about those things than a lot of other shows. For example, a few episodes back, Sara demonstrated that her magic allowed her to render most of her body invisible but not her head. I can't remember the detail about it but I found it interesting the show would contrive to place such a specific limitation on magic. It did it again this past episode when Sara showed that she could magically dye her hair black (or any other color, no doubt) but the magic could only alter hair that can be seen. Once her hair grows, her blonde roots will show.

A lot of shows like this would have just had Sara be enrolled in a school easy peasy but Salad Bowl goes through the exercise of showing how an undocumented person has hurdles to overcome to make that happen. Another example was the explanation that the cult leader is savvy about embedding subliminal messages into music videos and that allowed her to create her organization.

Again, none of this is amazing stuff but I do get a kick out of it when it happens.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
I hear you. The show does the same thing with the P.I. aspect is you think about it. Most shows with a P.I. would be wading hip deep through some Maltese Falcon or shoot em up by now, but the investigating has been surprisingly down to earth and quasi-realistic for the most part. Even the succubi who makes her bread and butter out of getting men to do something that would provide divorce fodder went down that path because she had limitations in every other aspect of P.I. work instead of being the standard femme fetale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2