• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Here's the series I'm following as of now:

Kanon 2006: As expected from KyoAni, beautiful animation complements a beautiful story, it's been a really enjoyable ride way beyond anything you could expect from the 2002 series, and perhaps even the original game. They're able to really insert impact into the storyline, and I am nothing short of impressed. Am definitely going to follow this all the way to the bitter and sorrowful end.

Death Note: Don't think I need to elaborate much on this; it's a fan favorite show, a good show, nice visuals, impressive storyline, twists and turns, Hirano Aya...

Code Geass: Mecha + Sunrise + CLAMP character designs + Well-panned out characters + exciting plot + Pizza Hut = awesomeness. One show I'm bound to not drop unless it becomes absolutely horrendous. Like, SEED Destiny horrendous.

Tokimeki Memorial: Nothing special, but Tsukasa and her genki-ness is enough motivation for me to continue this to the end. Plus it's a series that just leaves you with an all-around good feeling, so it's nice to watch an episode every week.

Soukou no Strain: From the very beginning it didn't clown around and got straight to the main plot of the show, with happy interludes in-between but still leaving an all-around gloomy and lonely atmosphere, perfect for the show. As of Episode 10, it has gotten really exciting, so another series I am currently watching and will be following to the finish.

Saint October: Eh, lolis referring to themselves as lolis, 'nuff said. Plot is less than impressive, but it's cute and fun to watch so I'll be continuing this in spite of cliches and really...weird transformation sequences.

Nodame Cantabile: JC Staff, Honey and Clover, music, romance, Nodame, Cantabile, Dolce, Stringendo, Allargando, Con moto, and I think I've thrown out enough random musical terms. By the way, did anyone know that "anime" is also a musical term?

Manabi Straight: Cute, cute, super-cute, hyperactive craziness, random cute insanity, STRAIGHT AHEAD!!!~ It also boasts a VERY strong seiyuu cast, including Aya and Yui, so I'm planning to continue this one.
mooseguy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Death Note, Naruto, Bleach and Fate Stay Night. The reason listed are just the top ones.

Death Note I am watching because of the darkness in it and the question of what happens if control of death is in a humans hand. Twisted Evil

Naruto, for the action and underdog story. Cool

Bleach, for the action.

Fate Stay Night so far seen only one episode and the artwork/anime was beautiful.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well now that I finished up Berserk (the second greatest shounen ever Anime hyper ) I went ahead and decided to rewatch Outlaw Star which is my all time favorite anime of all time and one of the fitst I saw. It really is an anime with replay value, now that it has been a year and a half I am ready to rewatch it again. Very Happy
isitfriday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the trailer for Shinobi: Heart Under Blade almost religiously for the past couple of weeks:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

I was never able to import it, but there's finally a U.S. dvd coming out on Feb. 6th with an extra disc of goodies and all that. and I'm freaking out, because I think it looks absolutely incredible. I really liked the "Kouja Ninja Scroll" novel that it's based on, and even the little snippets of fights on the trailer blow my mind. I'm seriously counting the days.
DKong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
I'm watching 6 series currently, and most are on TV....<_< But NO NARUTO for me! Generally, I watch the shows I watch because I like them....but still, I'll see if I can give decent reasons.

Death Note- dark story, interesting, fairly deep

Ouran High School Host Club- REALLY funny

Gunslinger Girl- interesting, cool action, takes place in italy (and I'm taking italian, so it's cool knowing what all the signs mean)

Twelve Kingdoms- I got the vol 1 DVD for Christmas, so I'm watching it. So far, it's sorta boring me....but I'll probably watch all 26 eps.

Bleach- just watchin' it weekly on Adult Swim

Samurai Champloo - 2nd time watching this series. I love the art, the characters, the story, the music (not a big rap fan, but it fits the show)
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
Twelve Kingdoms- I got the vol 1 DVD for Christmas, so I'm watching it. So far, it's sorta boring me....but I'll probably watch all 26 eps.
There are a lot more than 26 episodes; I''m currently at episode 36. If you think the first disc is boring, then you're not likely to find the rest of the show that interesting either. But I have to ask, why do you think it's boring? I hope it isn't simply the plethora of terminology, because you get use to that after awhile.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
DKong wrote:
There are a lot more than 26 episodes; I''m currently at episode 36. If you think the first disc is boring, then you're not likely to find the rest of the show that interesting either. But I have to ask, why do you think it's boring? I hope it isn't simply the plethora of terminology, because you get use to that after awhile.

Actually, I'd definitely give it to the second disc, or preferrably third disc if you have that much patience. I know I didn't like the show much, and probably would have dropped it if I had only owned one disc and then had to go out and buy the rest. However, the first arc doesn't really get going until the second disc or so, and the world is so very different that it takes a long time to be fully comfortable with the terminology and everything that is going on. I don't know of anyone who finished the first arc and didn't at least like the show... but those people probably just aren't vocal about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Twelve Kingdoms...

selenta wrote:
Actually, I'd definitely give it to the second disc, or preferrably third disc if you have that much patience. I know I didn't like the show much, and probably would have dropped it if I had only owned one disc and then had to go out and buy the rest. However, the first arc doesn't really get going until the second disc or so, and the world is so very different that it takes a long time to be fully comfortable with the terminology and everything that is going on. I don't know of anyone who finished the first arc and didn't at least like the show... but those people probably just aren't vocal about it.

I have the DVDs, but I'm not sure which episodes are on which DVDs. Anyway, I agree that giving it at least a 2nd DVD is worthwhile (or to whichever DVD has episode 10ish). I was dragging as I watched it the first time, and planned to give up after 10 episodes, given how much I disliked it. However, episode 10 (or maybe 11?) really turned things around for me. First off, it finally explained what was going on. Second, the plot started moving forward in a more understandable way. I still haven't seen past episode 20 (I've got the 2 boxsets on my shelf waiting to be watched), but I was truly enjoying it after I got through the really thick stuff at the beginning. I'm going to have to rewatch what I've seen to pick back up on the story and terminology again, but knowing where the show is heading will really help me enjoy the show as I go back through again.

It really might be worth your while to give it a few more episodes, it has a very involving plot.
DKong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, yeah, I know it has 45 eps. At 2am my brain starts to go (and that's when I posted it).

Anyways, I don't really mind the terminology. So far it's really not losing me. I just don't really like the art style (ep 1 was horrible, but ep 2 seemed a lot better...in terms of art), and the plot is just...ok. Nothing special yet.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I'm watching Get Backers season 1 right now and I just finished the episode where Kazuki spoiler[fights Juubei in the virtual reality Grand Canyon. Childhood friends should never have to fight like that! Crying or Very sad ]

Isn't Kazuki-chan a cutie?

I'm watching Captain Tsubasa again (the local channel brought it back), but it's back in the beginning of the Junior High School tournament... spoiler[I WANNA SEE THE END OF THE NANKATSU-HIRADO MATCH!!! I need to record it ¬¬]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
I just don't really like the art style (ep 1 was horrible, but ep 2 seemed a lot better...in terms of art), and the plot is just...ok. Nothing special yet.
The artstyle for "our" world, particularly the characters, is different, but the majority of the show takes place in the other world. And, the show gets a little better in the technical department, or at least it seemed to do so to me, as it goes along as well.

As for the story--though it varies in quality from arc to arc, it is usually extremely good. The third arc that I'm on now is very complex, weaving three separate stories together and then joining them at different points. I agree with Mylene and selenta, give it till episode 10--through the 2nd disc, before you make up your mind.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I don't know of anyone who finished the first arc and didn't at least like the show... but those people probably just aren't vocal about it.

After the first four episodes, I was actually kind of bored with Twelve Kingdoms. I didn't see where it could possibly go, how it could be interesting, and could envision another 41 episodes of episodic plotlines. However, it got rave reviews, so I kept watching. After the first arc (14 eps) I was interested but I wasn't completely impressed (it was like, "meh I've got nothing to do so I'll keep watching, this is pretty good"). After the second arc (next...9 or so eps?) I was beginning to get really interested, as the world slowly built and built. Three episodes into the third arc I was so hooked that I finished the rest of the series in one day. The artwork you also slowly adjust to as well, so by the end of the first arc it doesn't seem like anything odd.

The series gets exponentially better with each episode. Firstly because the plot gets exponentially better, secondly because the world gradually grows on you and sucks you in. It didn't start kicking in for me until after the first arc (which now that I look back was necessary preparation), but the second arc slowly sucked me into the world and was so powerful that I almost felt like I was part of it, and when I took breaks in between all I could think about were Kirin and the beautiful worlds of the kingdoms.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm rewatching Loveless on guba simply because I have become really addicted to the series. I am waiting for my volume 4 of the manga and my dvds that I ordered online to arrive. I love Yun Kouga's art style so much. The cat ears are a huge plus for me. Also the story in Loveless leaves me asking alot of questions. I cant wait to find out what happens next in the manga. I just really hope the anime gets a season 2.

I'm also watching Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge. It's really funny. Those pretty boys always manage to make me laugh. They act so silly and Sunako always manages to freak them out. When the anime gets licensed I'll buy the dvds. For now I only have the manga volumes 1-10.
pingieking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Excel Saga yesterday. WOW.....

My brain is quite incapable of handling so much... nonsense (?) and randomness in such a short period of time. It is however, very entertaining. It's a little too bad that I've watched very few anime that are older than Excel Saga and don't get some of the "deeper" jokes in it, but I have seen power rangers and those parts alone is worth it.

Still slowly chewing through Haibane Renmei, at a pace of about an episode every week. Just got past the spoiler[Day of Flight for Kuu.] The sadness kind of slammed into me like a hammer, even though I saw the event coming I didn't expect it to hit me that hard. Very well done and deep show, a good change from the somewhat mindless entertainment that a lot of anime provides.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Starting back on my quest to rid myself of the Geneon backlog, I've tapped into a bit of Moldiver. From what I've seen so far, I think it'll be a nice way to spend three hours without having to think too deeply. Then again, I could be wrong, as I was in the case of...

Berserk: Just finished it, and I have three things to say about it. One, I was completely wrong about the events of the first episode spoiler[where Guts went to town on that snake servant, whom I mistook for Griffith initially]. The next is that people are right, and the ending is downright evil Evil or Very Mad, I mean, open ended. Lastly, my comment on the allegorical meanings to Guts' and Griffith's names, I believe, turned out to be fairly accurate. Indeed, Guts, as his name implies, eventually finds the necessary strength to do the right thing, and make up for past mistakes spoiler[(poor Adonis)]. As for Griffith, yeah, I think his final form in the series satisfies the description of the mythological Greek monster that was half-beast, half-bird. All in all, I found it to be a pretty good show in the end (except for that ending...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 1062