• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation news from Katsucon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So no real hope from Japan about a second season of "Fruits Basket" at this point?
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
So why couldn't they have spent alittle extra and picked up Air?

I don't know - maybe FUNi is waiting until the summer conventions to announce it, or maybe they're still in the negotiating phase with Air's owners (I don't know who owns Air), or maybe some other licensor beat FUNi in acquiring Air and are waiting for the "right moment" to announce it.
ultimanga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
I couldn't get very far into until I just had to stop and delete whatever episodes I had.

You did see past episode 2, right? If you didn't, you haven't seen Kiminozo.

Was the Japanese Region 2 DVD Version censored? because from what I've heard is that this has sex scenes in it (So I'm assuming anything below the line will be censored/mosaiced), I ain't seen it yet, I'll probably wait for the FUNi Version, just hope it's based on the DVD Version and not TV Version, as I heard the TV Version was Edited...

No, there wasn't anything to be censored to begin with. The only thing different from the original TV broadcast and the DVD is that they added nipples to them but that's it. There's nothing graphic from what I remember since I got the R2 Japan DVDs already for Kiminozo. Also, the ending is extended a bit in the DVD version vs. TV airing and there's text and stuff for the book. It's a pity though that it'll only be 3 DVDs, but *shrugs* it really doesn't matter Very Happy The extras and the LE DVD cover art for the R2 were worth it anyways hehe I'm more than likely not going to rebuy (or at least any time soon unless there's extras and stuff not present in the R2 release) Kiminozo when it comes R2, but kuddos to Funimation to finally licensing it Smile Now I'm waiting for a R1 company to license Air and Yamibou hehe

Last edited by ultimanga on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess any post like this brings the lovers and the haters out of the woodwork. . .I think that whatever your opinion about KgNE, this is still a big licensing announcement, since the series has been done for a couple years and most people weren't expecting it to be licensed ever. To contrast, I'm sure announcements of the various popular action shows will be "bigger" announcements and bigger sellers; take FMP! TSR, I'm sure that it'll be announced by ADV sometime this year, and everyone will be all "Shocked This is so awesome FMP is great!!" or the same way with Bandai and the inevitable Mai Otome announcement. But, those kinds of announcements won't carry much surprise or "significance," since unlike KgNE, they're shows from genres and franchises where licensing is a forgone conclusion. Let's just hope the lovers who promised to buy DVDs to replace their fansubs will come through and provide some good sales. (Perhaps Funimation, through its business position, is in a better state to take risks on high-cost but not extremely marketable properties Question)

Now, I know I'm a KgNE fanboy, and I know it's fruitless to argue people into changing their opinions. Sure, KgNE shares some of the flaws native to its genre, but you have to admit that it's a romance/drama show where things actually get accomplished (no matter how stupid they are), as opposed to the average series where it's "Let's drag out this 'will they or won't they?' situation for 26/49/167 episodes and never resolve it!" Evil or Very Mad That's the advantage of dating-sim based anime over manga-based anime--you have better odds of getting a complete plot instead of "we animated 3 volumes' worth, so go buy the rest of the manga, suckers!"

Besides, I'm sure that these still-unlicensed "awesome series" from the past couple of years will be picked up eventually--why blame Funi for trying to put a little chronological order into these things?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Though I heard there's a considerable amount of improvements and touch-ups from the broadcast version in the DVD version, right? That'll be enough of a incentive for me to trash the old fansubs and buy the DVDs.

EDIT: Oh wait, ultimanga just confirmed it. Never mind! Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
ultimanga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yup, this is true. Though, if you haven't seen Kiminozo when it was originally broadcasted on TV, you wouldn't notice the difference lol Plus, surely fans could shell out money for 3 DVDs vs. the 7 volume R2 release hehe
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
ultimanga wrote:
Surely fans could shell out money for 3 DVDs vs. the 7 volume R2 release hehe

Speaking of which, I wonder if FUNi acquired the Mayaru no Okurimono storybook that plays a part in the show. I know that it was an extra item along with the R2 release of Volume 1 (although consumers had to shell out an additional 800 yen over the regular edition), so maybe the storybook was part of the deal.

Last edited by biliano on Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Riza|Hawkeye wrote:
this is my #2 favorite series.... its bad enough funi got it, but if they F&$k it up, i'll never forgive them

i think i can accept the fact its called Rumbling Hearts, but....

The Japanese licensor created the English name "Rumbling Hearts" for the English speakiing territories. We are adding a sub-title "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" to the logo and full name to avoid any confusion.

Lance Heiskell
FUNimation Guy
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I've been waiting for Desert Punk ever since I heard asbout it on the release schedule here on the site but I had notiuced before that it was being listed as Sunabozu. I'm curious as to what the name of the title actually is. Is it Desert Punk or is it Sunabozu?

GONZO created the name "Desert Punk" for English territory use. People think that US companies make up these names, but that is not true. The correct name is Desert Punk.

Lance Heiskell
FUNimation Guy
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sure, KgNE shares some of the flaws native to its genre, but you have to admit that it's a romance/drama show where things actually get accomplished (no matter how stupid they are), as opposed to the average series where it's "Let's drag out this 'will they or won't they?' situation for 26/49/167 episodes and never resolve it!" Evil or Very Mad

Exactly. Kiminozo is certainly not my favorite series by a longshot, but it's a definite improvement over the many, many romance series that the characters just do nothing. Yes, in Kiminozo the various characters make some very stupid decisions/actions, but they did something in the first place. That, at least, I can respect in a character. except the doctor, who is an idiot
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

The Japanese licensor created the English name "Rumbling Hearts" for the English speakiing territories. We are adding a sub-title "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" to the logo and full name to avoid any confusion.

Lance Heiskell
FUNimation Guy

Thank you for clearing that up. I had suspected that may have been the case. Making such a drastic change for no apparent reason just didn't make sense.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

Bleach is in fantastic hands. Glad to see that Funimation got another long running series that isn't Dragon Ball.

FUNIMATION

DID

NOT

LICENSE

BLEACH

And they aren't going to, so please stop with this.

Chill out. I thought they read they did.
Karala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For? Was there something so wrong with that title? It was good enough for the Japanese, but they don't want that title for North America? Rolling Eyes I mean, I never liked KgNE and think it's the most over rated thing I've ever laid eyes on, but they could've tried a more direct translation on the series name.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Besides, I'm sure that these still-unlicensed "awesome series" from the past couple of years will be picked up eventually--why blame Funi for trying to put a little chronological order into these things?

There are no absolutes that any title will get licensed. Chronololgical order is no excuse for passing up on Air.

While KgNE is a good title, Air TV is the superior title in the romantic drama and tragedy category with a more intricate plot, amazing artwork and an unresolved ending. It also appeals to a wider audience imo. It had a theatrical movie and an OVA. The soundtrack is awesome! It also has the advantage of being a more recent title.

All aspects of its TV release were just stellar. Lia's (singer for OP and ED songs) concert for this title was also amazing.

Anyway that's why I'm disappointed that Air got passed over for KgNE.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
Rumbling Hearts?! What? What kind of name is that? Why would the Japanese pick that over something about An Eternity That You've Wished For? Was there something so wrong with that title? It was good enough for the Japanese, but they don't want that title for North America? Rolling Eyes I mean, I never liked KgNE and think it's the most over rated thing I've ever laid eyes on, but they could've tried a more direct translation on the series name.

....did you even READ the thread? Lane Heiskel of Funimation just posted on the same page you posted that Rumbling Hearts was the English name chosen by the Japanese company. It wasn't Funi's idea, blame the Japanese company if you don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8