Forum - View topic
Neon Ally App freezing up issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've been using this app for a bit over a day and I'm having issues with the app freezing up during shows. It's not a flat out crash, IMO, because it is allowing me to push the PS button and exit and then come back in, verse the issues I had a few months back with Crunchyroll's app just rebooting the PS3. Anyway, I keep missing part of shows which is ticking me off!!! At first I thought the issue could be my PS3 having too much HD used up (probably has nothing to do with, but it was a thought) but after having watched almost two hours of today with no trouble, to THEN having it crashes twice, once during Tiger & Bunny and then again during Inuyasha: The Final Act last hour (7PM PST Thursday airing), I'm starting to think it's another issue entirely. T&B crashing real ticked me off - it's the first time I've been able to catch T&B and the app keeled over on me fifteen minutes in, making me miss part of the show. With IY:FA (also the first time I was able to catch it) it did it during the OP so I managed not to miss anything. I'm thinking the issue might be something else. My new theory is bandwidth on Neon Ally's end. I realized that all of my crashes are happening during the Pacific Time Zones prime time, 7PM to 9PM. Of course the issue could also be PSN having the same issue but the fact this keeps doing it during a specific time period but doesn't do it earlier is making me wonder. Of course, it could be something totally different like the app needs work Laughing

No matter what the issue really turns out to be, please Neon Ally, could you fix this please? I'm going to see if I can wake back up at 1AM CT (the next airing for T&B) but I have a feeling I'm going to have to try and catch it over the weekend or next week because I'm very tired and I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall asleep and not wake back until morning.

An a special Thank You to ANN for hosting this board. I've been hoping someone would set up a place for users to talk about Neon Alley and hopefully let us tell them we are having issues.
TigerC10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
I'm having a similar issue, though the freezes are only in the audio. I miss a lot of dialog because of it. Happens fairly reliably whenever the commercials start and end - but then also randomly at least 1 time during the actual show during each segment (that is, it happens once before the commercials and once after the commercials).

I believe that as the stress on their network increases due to more people tuning in within a few seconds of each other, it causes the stream server to hiccup. Only way I can think to improve that would be to utilize a CDN with multiple endpoints. Unfortunately that may not work out as well with a live broadcast as opposed to VOD, because the setup for VOD is super simple whereas the live broadcast would have to die each CDN server into the primary host anyway.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
TigerC10 wrote:
I believe that as the stress on their network increases due to more people tuning in within a few seconds of each other, it causes the stream server to hiccup. Only way I can think to improve that would be to utilize a CDN with multiple endpoints. Unfortunately that may not work out as well with a live broadcast as opposed to VOD, because the setup for VOD is super simple whereas the live broadcast would have to die each CDN server into the primary host anyway.

They probably are using some form of CDN - you can leverage a CDN for live streams, although you wouldn't benefit from caching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mandragoran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
I have been having the same issues with the freezes/lockups. It is video and audio that does it with mine. At first I figured it was because of it being so new and the bugs needed to be worked out. Later though I discovered it isn’t my end that is responsible. When new episodes premiere or during particular times more people are logged in streaming. This is when I start running into issues. To me this says that they are not dealing with the load balancing well for peek times. I have also run into when I go to shut the app off it causes my PS3 fat to reboot. It did that about 4 times since Neon alley launched. I asked them for help with the issue and they only directed me to their FAQ web site page. That was worthless.
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey Mandragoran,

Go ahead and PM me your info and I'll see if I can push it through. So you did everything in the FAQ and it still didn't work?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well the only FAQ I know about is the one on the main site and it doesn't say anything on how to troubleshoot problems. So is there another FAQ that you're sending people to? I'm still having issues as well, during peak times. That said, I don't know if my PS3 is rebooting or not when I leave the app. I leave the entire PS3 menu and comes back up like I just started it but Netflix does that as well so I thought that was normal. I do know that when the Neon Ally app freezes on me of late, my PS3 sounds like the fan is running harder on it than normal and I'm not sure why it does that Sad . Anyway, I'm hoping VIZ can get a update on this soon because I'm having a hard time catching a few shows during off peak hours and may have to give up on them. Nura: Rise of the Yoki Clan is one of them - I've yet to be able to catch the first two episodes totally through and I'm getting tired of trying to do it. With the episode one that aired a hour or so ago freezing up so bad I had to turn off the PS3 and turn it back to get the Neon Ally app to re-open for me, so maybe you can understand why I'm getting a bit fed up here (but I love Tiger & Bunny so as long as that's airing new episodes I'll probably stick around).
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
There should just be one FAQ, but I can double-check to make sure. The Neon Alley customer service team has a slightly different set of people than the core Neon Alley team.

Yesterday, I noticed that it would crash around the 3 hour mark. Mind you, I also live by a high school so that 3 hour mark was peak after school time too, but it got better as I got to Blue Exorcist and it was perfect for Tiger&Bunny. No lag or drop in sound or visual quality at all. But I do have a PS Fat that might be on its last legs.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Neon Alley hasn't been acting very good for me today. It keeps freezing briefly, then after it picks back up, it has a tendency to skip scenes for no reason.

It caused me to miss out on some important dialogue during the new episode of Nura, which is not cool. Mad

It acted that way during Tiger and Bunny as well, but I've already seen that one, so whatever. And on the plus side, it DID make one of the Chi Sui Maru videos shorter. Razz
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the freezing issue is REALLY getting out of hand now.

It got so bad that I had to quit right in the middle of the new Tiger & Bunny episode. It keeps constantly freezing, starting back up in crap quality, then randomly skipping scenes.

I'm not paying $6.97 a month for a service that doesn't work the way it should. This is NOT good service and it needs to get better, or I'm taking my money elsewhere. Evil or Very Mad
Demonshalo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I have tried to start the app in the past couple days it says to close the app because of technical difficulties. What's going on not going to pay for something that doesn't work.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Haven't had any freezing issues in ages myself. It's been pretty smooth here for a while now.

Demonshalo wrote:
Everytime I have tried to start the app in the past couple days it says to close the app because of technical difficulties. What's going on not going to pay for something that doesn't work.

That sounds like a rather weird error. Have you tried contacting their support?
Demonshalo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Haven't had any freezing issues in ages myself. It's been pretty smooth here for a while now.

Demonshalo wrote:

That sounds like a rather weird error. Have you tried contacting their support?

Sent two emails so far and have gotten no response. Missed the new episodes the past two days. The last time the app worked was last sunday. This is so annoying Evil or Very MadEvil or Very MadEvil or Very Mad
Demonshalo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Finally got a email today that said they are looking in to it. So the waiting continues
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Demonshalo wrote:
Finally got a email today that said they are looking in to it. So the waiting continues

I hope they can figure it out for you, I'd be tearing my hair out too over a frustrating error like that that doesn't seem to be fixable on our end as just viewers. That really does sound like such a specific error that hopefully they can replicate it and get you a solution. Smile
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
There's another update scheduled for this Tuesday so hopefully it helps a little more. We're scheduling it for early, morning to lessen the people who have to restart their PS3s. People who are tuning in later, won't have to reset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4