• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your OWN manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurashima

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jgreen]
I interviewed Gerard Jones, the US comics writer that wrote Maison Ikkoku's US adaptation, so this article is something cool to check out if you're interested in learning more about MI.[/quote]

I checked it out and I dont see the resemblance, My main characther doesnt have a choice about his room & he's not in love with the girls (he's constantly avoiding them), at least not now... Aside from the harem like girls, he's confronted by the IRS and some greedy uncles because the whole grandpa scam...

Dont get me wrong, MI seems cool and all. I'll try to see more of it to make a better comparison Anime hyper.

Oh and Shonen Bat, this new project seems great, keep up the good work!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I'm awfully late in responding. Gomen Nasai.

Kyuriko: That sounds like a good idea. Sasuke is often bullied at school(his school, not mine) because of this. In one of my chapters, when spoiler[He's knocked unconcius by Azure (formerly Otaku), he's having dreams of his past and how when two kids are chasing after him (allegedly for telling on them for something) Kenta jumped in and protected him]. Sasuke also has a "little brother complex". He feels he'll never be as strong as Kenta and in his dream, asks himself "Are little brothers supposed to be weak so their older brothers can protect them?" Of course his past is even worse spoiler[He and Kenta were abandoned by their parents. Kenta pretty much raised Sasuke since they were abadoned at such an early age.]

Kurashima Thanks a lot, bro. However, this doesn't really help move the plot along so it's pretty much fanon. I'm currently planning out how Dragon Kids 2 will go and I gotta say, I like the results right now.

Thanks, guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurashima

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well I posted my ideas in a manga contest held by a latin fansite. hope one of 'em gets preselected...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the thread in the anime forum about making your own series reminded my that I wanted to post an idea here. This is my manga idea. (Be gentle.)

Title: Catgirl Politics

In the late 1940's, just after the end of the second World War, a stunning event changed the world forever. A family celebrating the return of their father from overseas as well as the family cat's delivering a litter of kittens made the shocking discovery of a kitten sized baby among the litter. The baby, a girl, had kitten ears and a tiny tail. This phenomena repeated across the globe as common house cats and wild cats alike gave birth to such babies. Religious leaders and scientists alike struggled to explain it while politicians were placed in the position of having to decide what these new beings could even be called.

Fast forward to modern day: The world has mostly adapted to the changes. Catgirls are a regular part of society in many countries, especially Japan where hordes of otaku helped pass the most sweeping legislation protecting their rights. However, things aren't perfect.

The story would mainly focus on four characters (forgive me but I can't decide on their names.): One is a catgirl just starting highschool. Born into a litter of kittens owned by lonely widow, she was raised and loved like a daughter, though the old woman sometimes treats her like a cat too. This girl sees the widow as her grandmother and fully embraces the feline that birthed her as her real mother. Relatively well adjusted, she finds herself the target of an otherwise nice and popular classmate's cruelty and prejudice when she enters highschool, which rapidly erodes her self-confidence. Finding herself drawn to the dashing upperclassman captain of the kendo club, the catgirl highschooler struggles to find the courage to tell him her feelings. But how can she when his beloved little sister is her tormentor?

Another main character is a 37-year-old catgirl who has found herself alone in the world and without a job following the death of her adopted family in a plane crash. Dealing with the harsh realities of lingering prejudice against her for both her race and her gender, she decides to use her remaining inheritance to run for political office on a champaign of more civil-rights for catgirls and economic recovery.

Then there is a young catgirl maid who is employed by a rich otaku and his carrying out an affair with his widower father. Having escaped a hellish existence in decidedly not catgirl friendly France, has she found love or just another form of slavery? Is she merely a servant or something more?

Finally, a more comical character, is the long-suffering catboy punk whose entire life has been one long punch line. Forced to live with a yaoi-obsessed "sister" who keeps him fed and clothed, he's out to prove that catboys do exist! (Only 3 in 100 catperson births were male in the 1950's and the numbers are even lower in modern times with the average being less than 1 in 10000.)

Basically, the story would touch on all kinds of issues and very much a slice of life type story. It would tend toward the personal and the quiet, but with some comedy and fanservice elements as well, the funniest parts being the poor beleaguered catboy. Occasionally, the series would include short arcs from a variety of different countries showing the situation for catgirl's world wide. (Like the brutal wars for independence taking place in Africa and South America, the cruelty and brutal oppression of catgirls in France, the seemingly peaceful coexistence in the US, the rise to power of a catgirl religious leader in China, and so forth.)

Anyway, I can't draw to save my life, but I'd love to pitch this to someone with artistic skills. (Anyone want to help draw it?)
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Anyway, I can't draw to save my life, but I'd love to pitch this to someone with artistic skills. (Anyone want to help draw it?)

Try searching around Digital Webbing, PencilJack, or DeviantArt for an artist who specializes in catgirls....I can't imagine it'd take long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This thread is still around? Man, I thought this thing collapsed.

Anyway, with religion in a fiction story with magic and exorcism being an issue, I turned out a new story:

Parasol Samurai Sota

Basically, a samurai has devoted his life to protecting women and children from rogues and rogue samurai. Hence, his sheath/parasol serves as a symbol. But one year before the story, he was killed in a battle in which all three participants died. But with the arrival of three dark samurai who can slay armies with a single stroke, he is resurrected at a great price through an ancient, nearly-lost magic, and now he must fight these rogues. His blade is called "Lady of the Wind".
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually posted a few of my manga ideas on a very similar thread in the anime forum, so I think I'll post them here for good measure.

Quote:

I've actually came up with a few shonen storylines that, one day, if I can learn how to draw manga or get someone who can draw for me, I plan on trying to get published. Unfortunately, I still haven't come up with ideas for names of characters yet, but hopefully once I get a better understanding of the Japanise language I will eventually. Oh well. Here it goes:

This series is entitled Nephilum (refering to the term used for a half-human half-angel who was an abomination fathered by an actual angel)

EDIT: Yes, I know, this is WAY to long, and I apologize. I just couldn't figure out how to sum it all up in just a few lines.

The main character is a collage student who is a member of a small religion that worships the god Celestia (using the latin term for Celestial Being). It is an ancient religion that has existed since time was time, and in fact was the religion that inspired Christianity, Islam, and Hebrew, however not nearly as big and is not known by many people outside the religion. It's a religion that started when a race known as the devils, a race born when one of Celestia's angels fell from the heavens when he tried to rebel against Celestia's plan to create humankind and send them to earth. With him fell 5 other of Celestia's angels who became this rebel's followers. When they fell to earth, as punishment for their crimes against Celestia they were born as these devil creatures who can reproduce without a mate, and created the entire devil race. They became known as "The first 6," and are the 6 devil leaders who are the most powerful, terrible, and evil of the entire devil race.

Years went by as the human race multiplied to match the numbers of the devil race on earth and for that many years the two races were constantly at war over control of the earth. The war intensified so much to the point where Celestia decided to get his angel armies involved in order to save the human race. While there, 6 of his angels fathered these Nephilum abominations in their interactions with the humans, creating 6 family bloodlines to which there are modern day conections. 1 of these angels was struck by this cursing technique that one of The first 6 know, and was unable to return to the heavens because of it. This happened to him before he fathered his Nephilum child. But in the end it was him who used one of the greatest angel techniques ever created to create an alternate universe (hell) to which these devils were sent and sealed in by the 7 pentagram seals, which also work as a gateway to these alternate universe, but only for those who posses angelic powers rather than demonic powers (those the actual terms I use for what Naruto calls "Chakara.") Unfortunately this great battle took the lives of nearly the entire human race, and only a few who survived know the truth of what happened and where the first members of this religion while the rest wanderes around in ignorance. This event is identical to "The great flood of Noah."

Now jump ahead to present day. 6 members of the human race are within the Nephilum bloodlines and are in fact Nephilum themselves. These 6 are my main character and 5 other of his friends, of whom are the only friends my main character has, as he has had just that pathetic of a life. He grew up being picked on and inferior to everyone else, including his friends, and because of which he is (mostly starts out as) a dark, mysterious person with all kinds of issues. As only 3 of these 6 friends of his he actually grew up with, (actually, there is one other friend he has, but he's not a Nephilum, but he does come in latter in the series as a very important character) the others he met in late high school/collage. It is the friend he meets in collage that introduces this series, as she tries as hard as she can to find out about this mysterious person, as does the friend he met in latter high school years, who comes into play latter on in the series. It isn't until they turn 18 in which a Nephilum's powers start to awaken, and it is here that these 6 start to descovor who they are (the series starts out with him already having discovored these powers, then flashes back to when he did, and when the others did as well, then with some of the younger of the 6, they discover latter on in the series.) The main character, however, has discovered that he also possesses demonic powers as well........

Then there's the threat. First of all, it appears the devils, who can talk to anyone who goes near the pentagram symbols, have lured an army of humans into their fold by convincing them to willingly be given this cursing technique, giving them demonic powers. They formed an organization called "The Brotherhood of the Sixes (referring to the symbol of the devils, the sequence of Sixes, also known as the 666 symbol) which has branches all over the world, and each one devotes himself to a particular one of The first Six. Second of all, The Brotherhood of the Sixes are aperantly ushering in what is known as "The Day of Reckoning," in which the pentagram seals will allow the devils to pass through, and thus bring the world into chaos and war over the control of the earth once again, this time with the devils prevailing, with the newfound help of The Brotherhood of the Sixes! Thing is, they are only a few days away by the time this is found out!

But hope lies in the 6 Nephilum, who must train with the secret Vatican of this religion to learn how to use their angelic powers (the Vatican in this case is an army of those who are blessed with the powers of angels and train to learn how to use them for those who join, but since the Nephilum are actual angels, that means they could be of great use if they learn how to use their powers!) to aid the Vatican in this war against the devils and The Brotherhood of the Sixes.

Quote:

Kain

Kain actually takes place in america with american names and all, and was an Idea I came up with when in Senior year english class when we had to write our own Cantibury tail (as in those that Jeffry Chaucer wrote), so it's actualy one I've been working on for longer than Nephilum, although only by a few months. It's evolved since, but not nearly as much as Nephilum.

This series centers around a high school aged teenagere in Seattle, Washington who dropped out of school when he was 15. He knows absolutely nothing about his life before then, only that he has all these superhuman fighting abilities for some mysterious reason, and has become feared amongst the underground and street fighting abilities because of his awesome power. Know one knows, not even himself, what his real name is, but he is known only by the name Kain, which is a word engraved in his skin (the reason for which I still haven't revealed). After having killed off an entire branch of an organization who, kind of like the mafia, is an organization entirely devoted to doing wrong to others, which he did so in an attempt to rescue a girl from the local high school who is in the same grade as he would be who is a perfect 4.0 GPA student, you know, basically your typical goody goody, popular teenage girl, who has had run-ins with him on the street and has done nice things for him, Kain is hunted down by a secret millitary organization seeking to do war with this organization, and learns that when he was 15, he lost his whole family to the crime organization,and as revenge decided he would offer himself to the millitary organization to become subject to a genetic engineering project that gave him these fighting abilities. This was an attempt for this millitary organization to create the perfect, superhuman warrior to do battle against this organization, which has also used genetic engineering to create extremely vicious and hostile creatures who also posses these same superhuman abilities that Kain does.

mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I started a webcomic like four years ago and I kinda stopped working on it last year. Most of the characters were based on my friends, some I made up

Last edited by mistress_reebi on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
highteckdudu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I ve started my own manga. and i have some of my characters posted on another site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
highteckdudu wrote:
I ve started my own manga. and i have some of my characters posted on another site.

So why not share them here? That was the point of this thread, and for you to simply say "I have something I'm not going to show you" is tantamount to spam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fujiwara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Title: Catgirl Politics

I've always loved slice of life stories, you always walk away with something to think about. However, I'm not really a fan of kemonomimi. Still, not wanting anything to crash and burn, here's hoping.
heavenslione

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Hi there everyone! So this is the Your OWN manga forum... Wow lots of people are potential manga artists. Well anyway I'd like to be one of you guys. I'm only 16y.o. by the way so please be kind to me. Nyways, I'm trying to make my own manga too. I've started making the story and been experimenting on some possible character drafts. Rolling Eyes The manga I'm trying to create is a story about love, action, adventure, a little bit of drama, comedy well almost everything. I really don't know whether the story is going in a straight line to the ending or will be a criss-cross pattern since it's my first. Nyways here is the story...

>>>>STORY<<<<

The story is about a young man with an unclear past being a part of a long and never ending prophecy that was made by his ancestors. The story is set around the year of 2018 where the world is as it is today (with some anime style of improvement of course!). The young man dies early in the story but as part of the prophecy he will be reborn into the one I call "The Soul with the Eternal Sin". Although the catch is that he will never die once he is reborn thus suffering an eternal torture of life seeing his loved ones die and he can't. His past is also troubled by many things he forced himself to forget by being a mindless assassin. His free will though returns to him through a little girl. She brings forth the prophecy and makes his life harder. He has to find seven/7 persons with "glyphs" tattooed on their bodies. The 7 persons in a big spin of destiny are seven girls that in a way falls in love with him. He treats the girls like his little sisters and is afraid to fall in love with one because he fears that his past might repeat itself. The only way he will be able to rest his soul will be by finding the 7 girls and becoming the Eternal Soul through the seven glyphs although every good thing has a price... His soul will rest in exchange, his body will become a "Purifier of Worlds" just like his ancestors before him. And the word purifier meaning he will destroy everything in the world he's in and then he will finally rest. He will have to find a way around the prophecy so that he may avoid becoming a monster. The question is... "Is there a way for him not to become a monster?"

Also upon his rebirth he wants to hide from his former work being an assassin. He becomes a teacher in an all-girls school and also he studies at the school in exchange for a little salary and the chance to finish his studies thus making it harder for him to hide being always the center of attention for all the girls at school. Wink To make things worse, he is being hounded by the president of the school's student council (who turns out to be very homicidal and possessive of him), the student who works as a part timer at the school cafeteria (who seems to have a robot-like personality), his co-worker who is a very voluptous lady (who always try to seduce him) and many other girls as well. He also has the affection of his former official when he was still an assassin whom was the sister of his first love (an issue that he doesn't want to talk about), a samurai girl that was once his target to assassinate (but he wasn't able to do the job being in the middle of wavering between his two personalities, a mindless pawn and a calm, gentle, sweet person) and a girl he met when he was still an assassin that turns out to be a student at the school he is now working in.

He will also be caught in the middle of a war between two groups, One is the underground organization he worked for before and another is a revolutionary group led by his former comrade as an assassin (whom he despises through the bones) who wants to use his "Purifier of Worlds" power to eliminate his enemies. Twisted Evil

Many twists and encounter await the young man and many mishaps involving him being caught in the cross-fire of his female admirers.

>>>>END STORY PREVIEW<<<<

Well that's a summary. I'm open to reactions about the story. Anyways I'm not a perfect person so there are many things I'm not very perfect at doing. I'm trying my best though. If anyone wants to give some tips and if anyone wants to be involved in my creation just tell me okay. I'll be checking this forum once in a while. All help is appreciated. In the meantime "Dance Dance..." Wink
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I've got some random story ideas floating around my head, mostly for mini-series. One is a high-school romance: the twist is that the main girl has been raised by alligators. It's basically a story about her learning to move beyond her two-timing boyfriend (to whom she's been clinging for years) and still have hope that she'll find someone in the future... so it's a story about falling out of love rather than falling in love. It'd probably be a black-and-white one-shot (I think American one-shots are 26-32 pages, right?).

I started a watercolor webcomic called Adrift with a friend a year ago but never did very much with it. It's a sort of anthro comic about a frog named Boyette who's a adrift on a sea of lilypads with only a spoon and her dead mother's words to guide her to land. I had the first 7 pages scripted and would love to do more with it someday. First page is here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47560998/

For Spanish class, I did a 5-page black and white story about a thief boy name Sidney Monrove, who has to take care of his mother in his father's absence. It's definetly a more humorous story, with Sidney's sidekick being a miniature donkey named Isfrit. The pages (which have English translations on the bottom) are in here somewhere: http://dranxis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sorry for whoring off my deviantart stuff, just thought these mini-stories might be interesting to those who aspire to do all these long epics I see written here. Wink
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I once promised myself I would start working on a sports shonen after all of the action shonen I've come up with, and now I think I have at least a basic idea of what I want it to be. I'm a little worried about it being too cliche, though:

Half-Pipe Hojo

Hojo and his two other friends, a boy and a girl, all grew up with each other in the same neighborhood, where one of their neighbors had a jump-ramp that he always let them play on. All three of them grew up absolutely adoring the sport of Skateboarding, especially Hojo, who always religiously watched the X-Games' Half-Pipe competitions every year. He always idoled the likes of Tony Hawk and Ryan Seacrest, wanting to be just like them in every way, and used them as inspiration to achieve his life long dream of one day representing Japan in the X-Games. One day, however, around the same time Hojo and his friends were about to enter Jr. High school, a major act of crime in the neighborhood made Hojo's mother (his father is deiced) want her and Hojo to move to a different city, thus separating him from his lifelong friends. As a result, he became very dark, antisocial, and quiet, with a very angstful attitude. He never really liked school at all, in fact, he ditched classes a lot, and had some of the lowest grades in his class. But he didn't care, as he still had his dream to compete in the X-Games someday to concentrate on. So he spent most of his time doing nothing but Skateboarding at the local skate park, working on his Skateboarding skills. Because of this, his tallent level rose immensely, to the awe of everyone who ever skated at that park. Considering he did most of his impressive stuff on the Half-Pipe, he was given the nickname "Half-Pipe Hojo," and it stuck ever since. His mother did, however forcefully make him study for and pass the High School entrance exams, and even then, he only barely passed and made it into High School. They decided to move back to their old Neighborhood, thus reuniting him with his friends, who were shocked to see the kind of person he'd become. But Hojo still has a place in his heart for those friends of his, and stood up for them after the first day of school against a few jerks who were in a group that liked to skateboard after school on school grounds (even though it was against the rules), beating them at a skateboarding competition he challenged them to to get them to leave his friends alone. This is where we get to first see his tallent level. Also at the scene, one of the nicer after school skateboarders (of which Hojo's friends were trying to become apart of because of the skateboarding skills they themselves had developed over the years, as was Hojo himself) pointed out to his friends everything that had happened with him while he was gone, since he knew himself after having spent so much time at that park himself. Both Hojo's friends, as well as this new guy I just mentioned, all decide that they want to follow Hojo on his path to the X-Games themselves.
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
"Dragonseed" Teaser

Advent City is the pinnacle of human civilization in the 21st Century. Not only is it the largest population center in the world, with a growth rate of untold proportions, but it is the epicenter for soaring crime-rates, political corruption, and unsolved mysteries.

Matthew Moore (up for suggestions on the name), an eighteen year old boy gifted with supernatural abilities mysterious in origin, is struggling to find a life of what one would call normalcy. Everywhere he goes though, his powers foil his attempts. Worse yet though, it appears that he is being hunted for his abilities. People of power have their eyes on his astounding attributes and seek to utilize them for their own ends.[/b]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 22