Forum - View topic
Adding subs in Ranma 1/2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333
He started itHe started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Hope this is the best place for this

I've noticed that there arent any subtitles for the signs in Japanese on the Ranma 1/2 streams. While so far it hasn't been so bad, as its usually easy to assume what stuff says, later on this is gonna be a problem since Genma-Panda communicates with signboards later on.

Since this is a Viz show, Neon Alley Moderator, if you see this, can you inquire on adding subtitles for signs?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I second this motion.

However, this has always been one of Viz's big issues. The old Ranma DVDs had the subs hard-encoded into the footage. They've never been big on including a separate sub track specifically for signs and on-screen text. For a lot of their shows (such as Bleach, Naruto, and Buso Renkin) you actually had to manually turn on the main subtitle track to see what a sign said while watching the dub.

It's an annoyance, for sure.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
They've never been big on including a separate sub track specifically for signs and on-screen text. For a lot of their shows (such as Bleach, Naruto, and Buso Renkin) you actually had to manually turn on the main subtitle track to see what a sign said while watching the dub.

Whoa, Really?

After reading that I looked at my shelf and realized the only Viz anime that I own is Tiger and Bunny, where that wasnt an issue if I remember right. Are all their releases like that?

I brought up the subs for Ramna on their facebook, and the moderator there said that he'd talk about it with the producers. I think our best bet would be for all of us to bring it up on their facebook since they check that the most
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned it to Charlene Ingram on her Twitter, and she said that she'd look into it. She's a big Ranma fan herself, so I think she'd want the viewers to have the best possible experience.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Cool. Hopefully someone can do something.

Neon Alley has gone through a lot of changes throughout the years, mostly for the better. Adding subs for on-screen text in ALL their shows would be another great addition if they fixed that. So hopefully that can happen soon.

I think they only way they would listen is if a lot of people start asking for it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well, from what I understand, they have no control over the Aniplex shows. Aniplex would have to add the subs themselves. People have already informed them about the problem, but in true Aniplex fashion.... they're just lazy. Confused

Hopefully we will start seeing more subs for on-screen text for the Viz shows, though. For the most part, the shows they've played haven't really needed them, and in a few cases like Tiger & Bunny and LaGrange, they've actually hardsubbed them directly onto the footage for the stream. However, there have been a few moments in shows like Nura, K, Accel World, and - you guessed it - Ranma that didn't have any translated text.

It's interesting to note that both Utena and HOTD had subs for not only on-screen text, but also for the opening and ending credit music. HOTD even had Sentai's black English credit scroll attached after every episode.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
However, this has always been one of Viz's big issues. The old Ranma DVDs had the subs hard-encoded into the footage. They've never been big on including a separate sub track specifically for signs and on-screen text. For a lot of their shows (such as Bleach, Naruto, and Buso Renkin) you actually had to manually turn on the main subtitle track to see what a sign said while watching the dub.

It's an annoyance, for sure.

Yup, it became a BIG problem for Death Note which is why they finally added a second sub track on the last few single volumes and also for the live-action movies...unfortunately they never fixed the issue on the previous volumes when re-releasing the anime in the two box sets that are out now (which I own). As for Buso Renkin, in addition to the lack of song/sign subs, they also didn't bother subbing the speech bubbles at the end of the last episode and it took until it was set to air on the FUNimation Channel for Viz to sub them via overlays.

publicenemy333 wrote:
After reading that I looked at my shelf and realized the only Viz anime that I own is Tiger and Bunny, where that wasnt an issue if I remember right.

I also own Tiger & Bunny on Blu-ray along with the first 2 Berserk movies and I just double-checked each of them on my PS3. The only subtitles on those discs are for the Japanese dialogue only and the "English with Subtitles" option is basically there to compare the sub & dub (who knows why) while there are no song/sign subs present at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1