• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Visual Novel Invasion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Clannad is one of my favorites of all time, however it has been released 'unofficially' in English before though, but this is the first "official" release.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
it says the speak about type moon... did i skip it?
margibso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Sekai needs to drop Yohjo Simulator not because of any offensive material, but because the game is cash grab trash. The developers didn't put in even 1/20th the effort that went into making Goat Simulator; the comparison isn't valid.
As a localizer they are used to working with games that already have a pedigree. They need to do some quality control work on new titles, especially ones outside their VN wheelhouse, if they don't want to tarnish their name as a publisher.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I recall from old pictures I've seen that Doukyuusei 2 had a huge advertising blitz, which would fit with the idea that elf games were a big deal in the 90's. Fun podcast. Was interesting to hear a bit more from some Sekai Project staff. Certainly looking forward to replaying Clannad when the physical rewards are ready to ship. I've heard that the new translation is much more fluid than the prior which should make for an even better experience.

Also, if there was a Kickstarter for a Planetarian OVA I would pony up a considerable amount, just saying. First there was Kowarekake no Orgol, then recently there was Plastic Memories. None of those could come close to the emotional bond I felt for the Junker and Yumemi.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
While VN fan translation isn't quite completely nonexistent in the same way anime fan subbing seems to be, many VN fan translators are now working as freelancers for JAST, Mangagamer, Sekai Project, and some have outright joined the companies. In the end though, there are some niches of VN's where fan translators will always be necessary due to legal, societal, or business reasons, such as loli-focused titles, and perhaps some companies will always refuse official translation.

Probably the only name I can think of that could outshine Clannad and Muv Luv is Fate Stay Night. If there was a crowdfunding for by Type MOON, it would be huge, more so if it was handled half as competently as Muv Luv's. There are some other big names out there like Leaf (Utawarerumono and White Album) who are sort of working with Atlus USA nowadays anyways, and Eushully (Kamidori and Ikusa Megami Zero), but they aren't as big as Key and their Clannad.

margibso wrote:
Sekai needs to drop Yohjo Simulator not because of any offensive material, but because the game is cash grab trash. The developers didn't put in even 1/20th the effort that went into making Goat Simulator; the comparison isn't valid.
As a localizer they are used to working with games that already have a pedigree. They need to do some quality control work on new titles, especially ones outside their VN wheelhouse, if they don't want to tarnish their name as a publisher.

I agree, though honestly, Sekai outright stating that the loli scene being offensive was a reason for the takedown is a PR disaster. A lot VN fans really hate values based censorship, even if it seems minor. At the very least, a company that would do that bothers me even if I had 0 interest in the game at all. It makes me distrust them for future games.

Oh, and there are other origins for censorship besides the government. People get mad whenever videogame translators censor games, like what NISA did for Criminal Girls.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the podcast. It was really enjoyable and informative. It's really awesome seeing KEY works finally officially released after all these years. Thank you Sekai Project.

Zac, your Rightstuff commercial was amazing. Laughed so hard.

I'm excited to hear there are more KEY works in the future. I can only hope for Rewrite and Angel Beats. We know about Harmonia already. I doubt they'd step back for older titles, but who knows. Even though there wasn't a clear answer on Tomoyo After and Little Busters, I'm still excited for them.

Now I really hope someone can pull the strings and kickstarter Planetarian OVA Very Happy
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I'm excited to hear there are more KEY works in the future. I can only hope for Rewrite and Angel Beats. We know about Harmonia already. I doubt they'd step back for older titles, but who knows. Even though there wasn't a clear answer on Tomoyo After and Little Busters, I'm still excited for them.

Even if they are fan translated, it'll be a shame if Kanon and Air weren't officially released. If Clannad is spring, then Kanon and Air are winter and summer. While they were originally 18+ games, they also have all ages versions they could release instead.

I've heard that One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ is autumn (it was made before Key was formed, but Maeda Jun was involved), but I think Rewrite works better as autumn even if Jun didn't actually do much in the VN.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
grooven wrote:

Even if they are fan translated, it'll be a shame if Kanon and Air weren't officially released. If Clannad is spring, then Kanon and Air are winter and summer. While they were originally 18+ games, they also have all ages versions they could release instead.

I've heard that One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ is autumn (it was made before Key was formed, but Maeda Jun was involved), but I think Rewrite works better as autumn even if Jun didn't actually do much in the VN.

I would love to see Kanon and AIR too. I guess we'll see what they have planned. I love them both too. Clannad isn't really just spring, but takes place mostly there.

One is not autumn. It takes place all over. Maeda was involved but only on a some of the routes. He only did the quality control and music for Rewrite. Still waiting for a true autumn themed one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

of course their gonna speak about type moon. considering that the fate is a more popular VN series than clannad. that series definitely have stood the test of time,though only cause of its three different routes and none of them having an true ending towards its sequel hollow ataraxia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

of course their gonna speak about type moon. considering that the fate is a more popular VN series than clannad. that series definitely have stood the test of time,though only cause of its three different routes and none of them having an true ending towards its sequel hollow ataraxia.

It's near the end with the twitter questions.

That has nothing to do with what they asked. Also, Fate VN is on equal levels of popularity as Clannad. Both stories can stand the test of time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
not exactly. don't get me wrong. clannad is a popular VN within the otaku community ,but not compared towards other VN like kanon and air. and all three are inferior to the VN juggernaut that is FSN.

why'd you think type moon is milking the franchise for so many years now and as much as they can to this point with the non 18+ versions of the VN as well as teaming with uftoable to do the UBW route and the upcoming heaven's feel route movie.

they wouldn't waste so much money and resources if the franchise on non 18+ VN versions and anime series if it wasn't so ridiculously over popular even after it was released so many years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:

I'd definitely be interested in playing Air if it ever gets released. The anime was a mess, but I still liked the story, so I'm curious to experience it in its original form. Also (not a Key title but) A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd was another anime that left me unsatisfied but very curious about the original VN. Shepherd was also 18+ originally, but it got a PS Vita port that I assume was less explicit, so maybe that version could be used as the basis for a "Safe for Steam" release?

Kanon, OTOH, is one of my favorite anime, and I've never really wanted to play the VN for that one. I'm satisfied with the story as KyoAni adapted it, and have no burning desire to "rewrite" the ending. I do think it deserves a release at some point, though, so other fans (and fans of the other girls) can play it. I just won't be one of them.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Just a dumb Question is a visual novel a cross between a video game and comic-manga. And do you stream it on a computer or e-book reader that was not made clear on the podcast. Interesting show anyway I am old school visual novel is a graphic novel to me I like hard copy reading material you can always back track and read what you missed reading the first time. Confused
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
@Marcos a visual novel is a subset of the adventure game genre. they tend to be extremely text heavy and story/character/comedy focused.

I felt really bad for jast because of how zac just totally dismissed their release of stiens; gate as very important actually. I know he is not a VN person but VN fans it is roughly as popular/important. Clannad was the first one for a lot of people and a lot of anime fans feel very strongly about it but now a days it tends to be less popular then steins; gate. part of the reason is that most people who actually follow key prefer the little busters or rewrite visual novels generally (in the west).

The reason why fruit bat factory probably got Tomoyo after, and little busters instead of sekai is most likely because they already have finished their (previously fan) translation for both games and offered them a higher price for the games.

As for the whole yohujo simulator thing, the reason they are removing the scene is because A)it's supposed to be an all ages game, B)it implies that a 3 grade girl got raped and killed, C)they never would have let it be in there in the first place if they properly QC their games. I would normally not be so harsh on sekai project if not for the fact that they have a reputation for really bad qc upon release and have said that they would correct it....over a year ago.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
not exactly. don't get me wrong. clannad is a popular VN within the otaku community ,but not compared towards other VN like kanon and air. and all three are inferior to the VN juggernaut that is FSN.

It's great to like things, but your favorite thing isn't everybody else's favorite thing. Ranking visual novels by user rating on VNDB (English) and Erogamescape (Japanese), Fate/Stay Night is a top-10 title on both, but it trails Clannad on VNDB, and several titles (such as Muv-Luv Alternative and White Album 2) on both.

So let's cool it with the talk of "inferiority" and "juggernauts". You don't have to put down other good, popular VNs to advocate F/SN. Actually, it's that kind of behavior that drives some of us away from the Type-Moon fandom, frankly.

Quote:
why'd you think type moon is milking the franchise for so many years now and as much as they can to this point with the non 18+ versions of the VN as well as teaming with uftoable to do the UBW route and the upcoming heaven's feel route movie.

To be blunt, some people would call that a sign of being out of ideas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2