• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Should I watch Gundam SEED Destiny? Please help...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delpheno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay so the only "mecha" anime I've seen is probably Neon Genesis. I have an opportunity to see Gundam Seed Destiny. Is the mecha genre kind of an acquired taste? Something you have to get used to?

Is there anything I need to know before watching this? From the summary in ANN, it seems like it's a sequel to some other Gundam series.

I'm incredibly confused.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Gundam seed destiny is a sequel of Gundam seed.
The other Gundam are obviously the same franchise but not follow up or prequel.
I've watched this before watching Gundam seed, so in my opinion I'd say there's not much difference in which you watch first.

Delpheno wrote:
Is the mecha genre kind of an acquired taste? Something you have to get used to?

No. I'm pretty sure during the anime they give enough explanations about what Gundam is. But generally yes, it's something of an acquired taste but that doesn't mean you have to watch another mecha to like it.
Delpheno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Gundam seed destiny is a sequel of Gundam seed.
The other Gundam are obviously the same franchise but not follow up or prequel.
I've watched this before watching Gundam seed, so in my opinion I'd say there's not much difference in which you watch first.

I did some research and it seems like characters are carried over from SEED to SEED Destiny.

Can I watch these two as stand-alones?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
I did some research and it seems like characters are carried over from SEED to SEED Destiny.

It's exactly as you said, they are carried over characters. I watched destiny first and I didn't really feel the lack of a previous season. But gerenally speaking, Gundam seed was better than Gundam seed destiny.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Gundam SEED Destiny is a sequel to Gundam SEED. Watching SEED first is not absolutely essential, as Destiny has a lot of flashbacks to explain things, but is strongly recommended, as you'll have a much better idea about the crucial character relationships and essential background.

As for mecha in general: while I wouldn't quite say it's an "acquired taste," it does have its own set of distinctive style points. (Especially old-school Giant Robot versions.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wellness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Delpheno wrote:
Okay so the only "mecha" anime I've seen is probably Neon Genesis. I have an opportunity to see Gundam Seed Destiny. Is the mecha genre kind of an acquired taste? Something you have to get used to?

Is there anything I need to know before watching this? From the summary in ANN, it seems like it's a sequel to some other Gundam series.

I'm incredibly confused.

My own opinion there are better mecha shows to watch then SEED DESTINY, a lot better. Depending on your tastes, you may enjoy it, but it toward the end of the series, it leans heavily toward mainly appealing toward fans of previous Gundam shows, so it might not be the best place to start.

As for your confusion, just think of all Gundam shows and films as similar to the Final Fantasy game series, each numbered game (or show in this case) are usually a fresh start, with a few exceptions, such as the aforementioned SEED DESTINY.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
To put it bluntly, watch Gundam SEED, DO NOT watch Gundam SEED Destiny. While not the greatest thing in the world, SEED is at least entertaining, and it at least maintains basic story structure and plot. SEED Destiny's plot falls apart about halfway in under a wash of cheap fanservice in the writers' desperate grab for ratings and money, it completely mutilates the character development of the returning cast, and it's just generally a messy, messy, horrible product that is, frankly, so bad that it manages to reflect negatively on the first series and make it worse by association.

Unless you're really starved for entertainment, you will regret watching SEED Destiny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
...Well I don't. I don't get why people are so over-reactionary about this series. It's really not that bad. Confused

But watching later installments of franchise before previous ones is NEVER a good idea in my book. Watch Gundam Seed before you watch it. Then if you liked Seed watch it's sequel Seed Destiny.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Then if you liked Seed watch it's sequel Seed Destiny.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. If you liked SEED don't watch SEED Destiny, as you will likely end up hating the very characters you liked so much in SEED. Kira, Athrun, Lacus, Cagalli; all great characters who were utterly ruined by SEED Destiny.

No, 'tis much better just to be content with the first season and the first season only. Best not to be greedy in this case.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Then if you liked Seed watch it's sequel Seed Destiny.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. If you liked SEED don't watch SEED Destiny, as you will likely end up hating the very characters you liked so much in SEED. Kira, Athrun, Lacus, Cagalli; all great characters who were utterly ruined by SEED Destiny.

No, 'tis much better just to be content with the first season and the first season only. Best not to be greedy in this case.

Yeah, I entirely agree. I really liked SEED but I still thought Destiny was awful. In fact, having seen SEED first probably made Destiny even worse because I was aware just how much they were rebooting the characters and undoing all their development from SEED.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll side with Kruszer on this one. I watched SEED Destiny expecting it to be epically bad given what people have said about it but didn't find that to be the case. Granted, it's hardly great, but SEED wasn't, either. The exact same things which annoyed me about SEED - the godlike indomitability of the special Gundams, the sledgehammer-driven anti-war message, the indecisiveness of certain characters, the series' inherent hypocrisy, the dully repetitive battles - annoyed me about Destiny, with my only new peeve being how much of a total ass Shinn was allowed to be. I didn't notice an appreciable drop-off in the writing at any point. (But keep in mind that I wouldn't have given SEED higher than a C rating on writing, either, so from my view it didn't have much room to drop further.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'll side with Kruszer on this one. I watched SEED Destiny expecting it to be epically bad given what people have said about it but didn't find that to be the case. Granted, it's hardly great, but SEED wasn't, either. The exact same things which annoyed me about SEED - the godlike indomitability of the special Gundams, the sledgehammer-driven anti-war message, the indecisiveness of certain characters, the series' inherent hypocrisy, the dully repetitive battles - annoyed me about Destiny, with my only new peeve being how much of a total ass Shinn was allowed to be. I didn't notice an appreciable drop-off in the writing at any point. (But keep in mind that I wouldn't have given SEED higher than a C rating on writing, either, so from my view it didn't have much room to drop further.)

Well, if you didn't like SEED (and by what you've said you seem pretty ambivalent about it), then I'm not surprised that SEED Destiny didn't annoy you as much as it has done for so many people.

Me, I haven't had the pleasure of watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but I've watched Zeta and believe SEED to be much much MUCH better than it. Perhaps not in terms of writing (though I do believe that Zeta's plot is talked up quite a bit), but in terms of believability, atmosphere and characters, SEED beats Zeta hands down. As for the enjoyment and watchability factors, it isn't even close.

So basically, when my favourite Gundam show ever then spawns something as bad as SEED Destiny, a show which does nothing less than destroy my feelings for the old cast, I am going to feel something quite a bit stronger than what someone who is merely ambivalent about the whole thing.
apbt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Hello, Nagisa, I took your word about Gundam Seed Destiny as the truth, and I avoided it like the plague. My wife wanted to watch it, even though I told her it had received bad reviews. Nevertheless, I watched it with her and I enjoyed it.
I don't understand why you loathe this series so much. What fanservice are you talking about? You must be talking about some other fanservice besides pantie shots. spoiler[ The resurrection of Mu La Flaga was a little bit much, but no worse than Heero Yuy in Gundam Wing or even in Gundam Seed with Kira Yamato.]
Could you please expand on the character evolution that you didn't believe in?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
apbt wrote:
What fanservice are you talking about?

Fanservice is not merely sexual. It's any form of overt distraction from the main story for the sole purpose of pandering to viewers. Bringing spoiler[Mwu la Fllaga back from disintigration], arbitrarily writing Shinn off as a secondary character midway through the story after explicitly hyping him to be the new central hero, without even giving his character arc a chance to pan out, bringing Kira and Lacus back as the main heroes after initially promising their role would be little more than a cameo appearance, the fact that they completely scrapped Athrun's character development from SEED and shamelessly repeated it in SEED Destiny just so they could bring him back as a main character rather than sticking with the original scenario where he was a secondary character to guide Shinn, all of this is overt, story-damaging fanservice because the writer and director preferred to milk cheap short-term fan reactions instead of sticking to the planned production. Stories about the scriptwriter making these sort of last-minute changes, resulting in late and haphazardly-constructed scripts causing the entire series's production to suffer aren't exactly untrue or uncommon knowledge, at least among the Gundam fandom.

Maybe I'm just bitter because I followed every scrap of news Newtype and all those other magazines had to offer up about the show leading up to its debut, and actually got to see the interesting premise that was being presented devolve into the cheap, pandering mess it became. Maybe without that knowledge of what the show was supposed to be, it's marginally more tolerable, but all I see is a hollow, cheaply decorated husk of what should have been a good show, mutilated by the unprofessional conduct of the pair of morons at the helm of its production.

Last edited by Nagisa on Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder if people who loath Gundam Seed Destiny like Code Geass... that would be so ironic Smile

Honestly, the series arent that bad, in fact - its pretty good, unless you are obsessed Gundam fan and about to slit veins if Zaku is paointed in wrong colour...

And its difenetely along with Seed a GREAT show to START into Gundam universe. After that you can watch lots of better Gundam shows, but Destiny is probably the most undemanding and entertaining ones that are easy to get into, wich is for many one of its main criticism.

Kinda like, Naruto Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2