• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Update: Yes, the end of the arc made him cry, he is using his Ben 10 shirt to blow his nose, episode 10 is definetly powerful.

Fifth B wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
. . .rewatch of Kanon 2006 . . . one of my favourites . . . My plan is to make my 10 year old brother cry . . . Really love this series.

I like they way your mind works, sir or madam.

I've seen that show about . . . holy hell, ten times now, and Makoto, Mai, Sayuri, and Nayuki's arcs all still give me a case of temporary strep-throat. Glad to see people still like that show. Not to sound pushy or anything, but I'm curios, what do you think of the dub? I ask because I consider it one of my favorites, and I find that it's really the only way I can enjoy the show, so I'm interested in the perspective of one who is more drawn towards the Japanese track.

Hmm well the I find that the Japanese track is cuter, and Yuichi's seiyu is one of my favourites (he also voiced my current avatar). As an Australian the American accents can come off somewhat strong, I have found no major problems, it is good to enjoy both tracks.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
For Kanon 2006, spoiler[the Makoto arc didn't really hit me that hard. I thought it was sad and I shed a few tears, but that's it. The Mai arc is the one sent me off. The first time I saw Mai stab herself, my mouth gaped and my tear ducts exploded - I couldn't stop it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
For Kanon 2006, spoiler[the Makoto arc didn't really hit me that hard. I thought it was sad and I shed a few tears, but that's it. The Mai arc is the one sent me off. The first time I saw Mai stab herself, my mouth gaped and my tear ducts exploded - I couldn't stop it.]

Well I think it beautiful how different bits resonate with people differently. By the way he finished and said the Makoto arc was the sadest, he liked it which makes me happy.

He wanted to watch something else, but it was too soon to show him Clannad or Angel Beats (yes I plan on showing him those), looking through my collection I could not find much to choose from. My 19 year old younger brother said Hellsing but hell no, settled on Baka Test, wonder if that is a bad choice, a bit ecchi but at least not sad.
Norbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
Since there has been so much talk about the 80's I thought I might revisit a favourite - GUNBUSTER.

Who knew you could deflect alien rays with nothing more than a cloak! Shocked

Love the BD Very Happy

But no subs Crying or Very sad

Be nice.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
Catching up on Madoka Magica (for real this time Laughing).

This really is a great show. I've been enjoying it all along but episodes 7-8 truly sold me on it. The show has had a really great atmosphere of mystery surrounding Kyube and Homura which was always intriguing but now that we're actually getting some real meat to chew on in this regard I'm completely hooked. Also,spoiler[ Sayaka's meltdown], while a definitely kinda rushed, is really fascinating to watch. We also get some really strong character development for Sakura (whom I initially disliked).

Also watched an episode of OZMA

Meh. It's nice to see something, anything, in the vein of really old school anime sci-fi with not even a hint of any of the annoying modern tropes. The thing is though, while this show doesn't do anything particularly bad, it doesn't really do much especially well either. It was a reasonably kinetic adventure (especially the latter half). The show suffers a bit from too many characters though. Nobody really gets enough screen time in ep 1 to make much of an impression. The supposed main characters are pretty much non-existent so far. I did like the Captain though. The characters look kinda nice (if also identical) although they kinda offset that with some nice, unique costumes. I'm also a sucker for anything with a desert motif. Mind you, ep 1 didn't really show it off all that much. So...you know...fine I guess. There are plenty of worse shows out there.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
So I finished Angel Beats!, and loved it. From the first few episodes it looked that it would not be all that great, but starting from episode 5, I really got into the story. There were some really funny scenes, the interactions between characters were nicely done, I sat through the last few episodes straight, I really wanted to know how it would all finish. Which does not happen very often, since recently I was mainly dragging myself through the series hoping they will end eventually.

I started Dennou Coil, and I am loving it! Although it seems that all the kids have the same hair colour and with glasses on they look confusingly alike as well, but the premises are promising, and it looks like it might be lots of fun to watch.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Now that Chihayafuru is over, I've started watching Ano Natsu de Matteru on Crunchyroll. This is a series that I just had to watch, and for the sole reason: Taraku Uon. Besides it looks cute, interesting and fun and I think it did grab my interest before I realized who the character designer was. And I think Taraku Uon is a good reason. Remember Please Teacher, R.O.D. and Kamichu!? I just adore that uber-moe style that makes every anime based on his designs so wonderful to watch.

That was an amazing first episode. I wish I watched this series sooner I would have nominated it for the Best First Episode Tournament.
Kanon0_0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
This is great.... I'm also re-watching the kanon series, as well as clannad, air, and angel beats; all the works by Key... I was in the mood for something heartbreaking Anime hyper
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Let's see...lately I showed my boyfriend the first three episodes of Mushishi, as I am extremely fond of that show and he, more of an old-school anime fan, had never seen it. He liked it, although he did question my proclaiming it a "soothing" show in the middle of episode 2 spoiler[once all those eye-eating mushi started streaming out of the blind girl's eye sockets in the moonlight.] It's weird that I would still stick to that statement, even at the points when that show gets kind of spooky spoiler[(particularly when it starts breaking out the eye trauma).] I think it's the pacing and the lovely score that keep things from getting too jarring.

Also, one of his roommates popped in the first volume of Madoka Magica, and the both of us ended up getting roped into watching it. I have not seen this show before at all, although I've heard all the hype, and the only SHAFT show I had seen before this was Pani Poni Dash. My eyes were not ready for the witches' realm visuals on a big screen in Blu-ray. Holy crap, that was awesome! It also convinced me to move that PMMM Vol. 1 that's been sitting on my RightStuf wishlist for a while a bit higher up on the mental "must buy" list. As soon as I get some steady employment again, that sucker is MINE.

Oh, I've also been working my way through Vol. 4 and 5 of Cardcaptor Sakura. It's still as cute and well-animated as ever, and now I'm up to the point where Meilin enters the show.
kaydub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
I finished Panty and Stocking this morning (Easter morning, how fitting...) and I'm pleasantly scarred for life. Finished up Mushi-Shi earlier in the week too, that was pretty much on the complete opposite end of the spectrum Laughing

Gonna start Ano Natsu de Matteru, since I didn't get around to watching it earlier in the season and I've heard great things. And Kids on the Slope starts this week, so I suppose I'll be watching that as well.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
anime racket wrote:
Even though I like Haruhi's character, I think allowing the cast to mostly shine without her did something wonderful to the story. Kyon's english dubbed performance has to be heard to be believed. He is now my favorite character in the series.

I've only seen The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya with subtitles. Crispin Freeman is brilliant as Kyon in the two TV seasons so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie dubbed.

(Apologies for the late reply - I was camping over the Easter weekend and without internet access.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
karinasesshinuyasha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Right now ? I'm watching a couple at the same time: Re-watching Inuyasha: The final act, Watching Ranma 1/2, I'm on episode 71, Watching Fairy Tail, episode 6, Bleach, episode 67 and on television the Studio Ghibli film Ponyo as It's kinda cute :3 Unfortunately, I'm struggling to watch other animes other than Inuyasha, because once I find an anime I really like, I'm hooked. Immediately acting as a fangirl, squealing, buying cute things, going on anime shopping sprees. I'm also obsessed with Ranma 1/2, but what can I do.. Confused

By the way, any new suggestions ?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Inspired by the new series and facing a Detective Conan withdrawal I wanted a fun little crime story, so I watched Lupin III: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid, the special they made last year. If it weren't for a couple small things I'd rate it "Very Good" but those small things annoyed me and made for an unsatisfying final act of the special.

Once again, generic bad guy ruins a lot, and this guy's evil plot was a really poorly thought out stinker.

Then there was the fact that a lot of the story involved figuring out a way to get through the "many traps" located at a hidden cave. A set of traps so heinous that no one that has ever attempted to get there has survived (with one notable exception that only Lupin is aware of and doesn't know the details of), but it turns out that the trap that NO ONE has ever survived.... was a spoiler[mechanically fired spear barrage (with an apparent infinite suply of spears)- that's it. Lupin dodges it and jams it. I guess there was a second room with a locked room that needed three things to open a stone door.] Quite a disappointment. There are a dozen ways to get past the trap and about as many for a n unscrupulous treasur hunter to bust their way through the other obstacle, and did I mention?spoiler[ You can also get in by going through a separate tunnel that has no traps.] And there are numerous other small problems with the end, but I don't want to bag on it too bad, I'm still giving it a generous good.

And it is true that the first 2/3 was a fantastic adventure. Daring chases, mysterious happenings, surprising deaths and surprising survivals, a cute kid sidekick, the usual Fujiko double dealings, and all that is hinders this initial section is one's inability to suspend his belief in physics and that usual hitch about Goemon's swords.

In the end I recommend it because it's Lupin. Failures in logic be damned, these movies are always fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I've only seen The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya with subtitles. Crispin Freeman is brilliant as Kyon in the two TV seasons so I'm looking forward to seeing the movie dubbed.

(Apologies for the late reply - I was camping over the Easter weekend and without internet access.)

No worries.

If you liked him in the first two seasons you'll love him in the movie;
he practically carries the whole story on his own and does a
brilliant job imho.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Been rewatching Angel Beats to go along with what I mentioned in my recent posts, this time in English, TK stand out a little less when he is speaking the same language as everyone else. My brother seemed to be especially effected by the main characters past, I get a certain joy seeing him actually able to follow the story and have the right reactions.

Also looked online for a few anime shorts to go with Kid Icarus: Uprising, been having a lot of fun with the game lately, strangely fond of the anime styled characters, for a game its dialogue is practically a show in itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 679 of 1062