• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Multiple Anime Expo Staffers Resign in Board Dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superwoman12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/AXstaff/

It looks like the problem is much more serious showing the malpractices of the CEO.
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
More AX drama!? This is an epic mini-series that never seems to end. Lifetime and TNT should take notes.....NBC execs pay attention here.

So now AX has pissed off Sony?
Remember back when AX pissed off Pioneer?
It seems the AX higher ups find some new/creative way to purge themselves of experienced staff after a few lean years of developing staff into department leadership.
Sheeesh, some things never change.........

btw, for the CEO to complain that attendance hasn't significanty increased is an easy explanation. AX has reached its max saturation point given where they are and what they offer.
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's a little more complicated than just saturation.

It's support from the industry... and vice versa. Manga and anime fans are predominantly teens- not the typical spenders on manga (actually sit in stores and just read) and anime when they can DL it. And the older crowds do the same...

That leaves the industry reeling from decline in sales and revenue. Growth is stagnant, so do not invest in conventions. Without big industry giants like SONY and DISNEY promoting anime with great booths and displays at the con, it is hard for fans on the fringes to justify spending the money to come.

Comic Con is as large as it is because they have giant movie studios and stars year after year. People come to see the stars- even if they are not fans.
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Got to get me some popcorn Very Happy

Last edited by Mach5Motorsport on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:
It's a little more complicated than just saturation.

It's support from the industry... and vice versa. .

Of course it is complicated running (or ruining) a con takes a lot of factors. Wink

Well AX has pretty much in the past acted like they didn't need industry support. Just being the "biggest" anime con was their trump card to get companies on board. That only goes so far. It has been my experience that some of these companies "held their noise" and just attended AX to be there. These same companies support the smaller cons and would offer extras to them that AX would not get.

I really wonder where SPJA will come out on this mess.
Kamen Rider Black RX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote
If you ever wondered what the current AX CEO Michael Lattanzio looks like in person, (Since pictures of him are almost non-existent) here's some video footage of him from YouTube:

This footage was filmed on May 7, 2009, when he was the General Manager of the Santa Anita Westfield Shopping Center in Arcadia, California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI6BHxzNjpM

Here's an earlier video footage that was taken on December 14, 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOmG2-4TXBA
isamu99

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, where are most of these claims of the anime industry being in the doldrums and in disarray coming from? Can anyone provide a link to an article supporting these claims? From what I've heard from my associates, it's booming now more than ever in the US.

Azunyanko wrote:
I am waiting to see what kind of GoH results that this CEO will get because there are rumors that he has already failed in signing some very big names.

Can you post a link to these rumors?

Azunyanko wrote:

I can directly confirm that Lattanzio did state to a Japanese representative that he met Akira Kurosawa and when the representative stated to the CEO that Kurosawa had already passed on, he changed his story to meeting Kurosawa's brother.

Maybe he meant Akira Toriyama Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
holy necro! I thought there was some front page news I missed related to the recent drayage contract dispute Very Happy
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
SPJA just asked Lattanzio to step down.

http://spja.org/news/?p=79

Can't say I am sad to see him go. but FYI, I am doing the jig.

Let's just hope that AX and SPJA can recover from this fiasco.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
BladeBraver wrote:

Is it safe to assume that:
Quote:
The SPJA has announced that Michael Lattanzio, CEO of the organization for the past year, is leaving on good terms to pursue other projects.
translates as, "Neither side is suing."?
BladeBraver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
My translation to this as "SPJA pays Lattanzio more to leave than he would if he chose to stay."

AX staff seems to be very hush hush about the whole thing. The most anyone has said about it is, "wish him the best of luck in the future."
To me, that means that they really had no idea about it.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
no means he probably did some under handed dealings to not get fired which is what should of happend, because if he had no one would hire a man who left such a large debt, missing money for charity and lied.

It means good riddance to trash
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8