• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Got the Lain release despite the banding because....well.... Evangelion 2.0 BD had banding....FLCL BD.... Trigun Badlands BD had banding...Ghost in the Shell 2.0 BD had banding..High School of the Dead BD had banding....Paprika BD had banding.... Black Lagoon 1 & 2 BD had banding... Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood BD had banding...Eden of the East BD had banding..... And on and on and on.

If I decided not to buy a product due to banding I wouldn't have many anime shows on Blu-ray discs to enjoy.

Just sayin'

Smile be nice Smile
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
This depends on how the anime was produced. If the Japanese received the series in HD, that could be 720, which would be in line with the original resolution. If it was 1080, then the reason for our upscale is obvious. I can't find info on the original production resolution.

Virtually nothing is animated at 1080p. You know that, I know that, odds are we all know that. When anyone worth listening to says "upscale" in regards to an anime release, they mean "upscaled from a Digibeta SD master".

Not only has FUNimation claimed some titles were HD Native when they were clearly upscaled - hell, they did it a few weeks ago on HELLSING ULTIMATE VOL. 1 - but they've also released a handful of titles upscaled when HD masters do exist. FUNimation didn't even point out what titles were upscaled for the first stretch of releases, but even now they stumble at figuring out what is and isn't "HD". Happens to everyone occasionally, I know, but it remains a sticking point they need to figure the f*** out if they want people to take them seriously.

Quote:
As for "even better", can't answer that. As I said, it's "what I hear", meaning if I were to leave it to the internet to educate me, then the comment was as facetious as those taking 10 second clips and criticizing the entire series for it.

ie: You're taking what Justin said in this very thread and then throwing it back in everyone's face as a counter argument? Lovely. I'd rather you listen to him than 90% of the arseholes out there, certainly, but it doesn't by default make you calling opinions you don't agree with any less valid.

I'll give FUNi that their 1080p upscale of STRIKE WITCHES has certain advantages over the Japanese 1080i release, but those advantages completely ignore the fact that some of the scene transitions and effects shots were animated/edited at 30fps, meaning the FUNi release has jerkiness the Japanese release doesn't.

The word "Better" is a subjective term. The words "Upscale" and "banding" are not; either they are, or they aren't.

Quote:
But I will say this: the same situation happens in Japan, too. When Kadokawa announced the bluray of Lucky Star, with the original English dub, the comments I read about it said it was horrible. Well, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder because if anyone tells me the bluray sucks compared to the DVD, I'm going to tell them to get their eyes checked.

Is it horrible for a Blu-ray in general, based on 1:1 lossless screencaps? Arguably, yes. The show was animated in SD, low-pass filtered at the mastering stage, and is full of ugly aliasing artifacts and mixed-framerates leading to a 1080i upscale as the only valid option, which can cause even more problems depending on your hardware. In short, Lucky Star looks pretty bad on Blu-ray even when compared to other titles from the same time frame, upscaled or not.

However, you're not asking the right questions if your only question was "Does this look good?" The right question is closer to "Is that as good as Lucky Star is ever going to look?" The answer is "yes", and the problems are no fault of the upscale itself. Lucky Star is a product of its time and budget, and asking for it to look any better on Blu-ray than it does now is asking them to create an entirely new show in High Definition from the ground up.

Quote:
And yes, it's an upscale and its filter process had me, for the first time ever on an anime bluray, adjust my television settings to tone down the brightness from "Dynamic" to "Standard".

Usually, it's the other way around for me, simply because I find many blurays too dark, regardless if they're movies or anime.

...so... You're debating specific metrics of video quality and you have your TV set to torch mode? What I'm going to say is going to sound harsh, but assuming you're serious, listen to what I have to say, because it absolutely matters:

You don't know what ANYTHING is supposed to look like if you haven't made even a basic attempt to calibrate whatever screen you're watching content on.

If you have your contrast cranked to 11, are interpolating frames that don't exist, and are simultaneously removing noise and sharpening edges you're introducing a TON of visual problems that the materials themselves don't have. People do it all the time, and any supposed "expert" who's talking about a problematic transfer without at least having fixed the basic settings on their display with something like AVS HD 709 is basically describing a rainbow while wearing a pair of novelty rose-colored sunglasses.

If you want to take this stuff seriously, buying an expensive TV and leaving is set to "Dynamic" doesn't mean squat. I watch everything on a consumer level LCD monitor, but one that does absolutely zero post-processing, and one that's as close to reference levels as far as brightness, contrast, color temperature and gamma can get using tools that don't jump into the $1,000+ range. A $200 monitor that's been properly calibrated will tell you more about the actual source than a $1,000 monitor left to a generic preset.

When I say something is wrong, I'm saying it with certainty because I'm looking at it on a monitor that accurately reflects what's on the source. When you say something's right or wrong, you're looking at an overblown exaggeration of whatever's actually on the disc. I might not always know how it got there, but I know it's there.

Norbie: I agree with you, if only to a point.

Banding is a common problem on anime releases, and it's arguably not a deal breaker for everyone. The difference between [insert any title mentioned here] and Lain is that the banding is baked into the master on the former; on the latter, it's a flaw that was introduced on the US release, not the original master itself.

Had the JP release looked the same I'd just have signed, said "Oh well, nothing we can do here..." and that'd have been the end of it.

Last edited by Kakugo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Got the Lain release despite the banding because....well.... Evangelion 2.0 BD had banding....FLCL BD.... Trigun Badlands BD had banding...Ghost in the Shell 2.0 BD had banding..High School of the Dead BD had banding....Paprika BD had banding.... Black Lagoon 1 & 2 BD had banding... Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood BD had banding...Eden of the East BD had banding..... And on and on and on.

If I decided not to buy a product due to banding I wouldn't have many anime shows on Blu-ray discs to enjoy.

Just sayin'

Smile be nice Smile

You know those expensive Bakemonogatari bluray discs?

They have banding too. Wink
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Norbie wrote:

Just sayin'

Smile be nice Smile

You know those expensive Bakemonogatari bluray discs?

They have banding too. Wink

Well, they do because the Japanese release had banding and the US release is using the same exact video authored for the Japanese release.

This is much different from Lain where Funi authored their own BDs from the masters they were given.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8