• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh,, I like the stylized style. It really does feel like PPG+Dead Leaves+FLCL, and the background reminds me of Re: Cutey Honey. I hope I can expect some nice wild and crazy fun while watching it.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Not only are the characters under the age of 18, but the series seems to very stereotypical and doesn't look original in the least.

When I watch anime, I might notice a couple of flaws, which is generally okay. But, if it's flaw, after flaw, after flaw and even after that flaw, not only is watching the episode aggravating, I feel like I doing work instead of relaxing and watching a show.

There is a limit on how many flaws a series can have, but continuous flaws make me either not watch the show or discontinue to watch any more of that series. I am a very patient person, but that doesn't mean my patience is infinite.

If you throw away a show based on a single scan and a tiny summary of it's content, then you not being the least bit patient. Just thought I should let you know.

We have no idea what the show's flaws will be just yet because the show has yet to even start airing. That said, originality =/= always good, just like unoriginality =/= always bad. If you base base the quality of any entertainment on those terms then you are in for a long LONG road of disappointment. Just sit back, enjoy a ride or two, and stop trying to think about whether or not you've seen this sign before.

About the under 18 thing, at least the panty girl on the right has the semblance of a womanly figure. We could have done worse in a time where lolicon seems to be a still very popular trend. That much I'm thankful for.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
Scans are out:

http://i44.tinypic.com/1z6qijp.jpg

I love you, Gainax.

Laughing

Geez, man! Heard of thumbnails? Confused

So, Gainax's version of Powerpuff Girls? That could work! Shocked

Just don't expect it on Cartoon Network anytime soon....... unless they change the title.......... I mean, if WhoopAss Girls was a problem........ Laughing
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Well when I heard they set the story in 1900 england, and they were asking for new staff members to work on backrounds, I got excited, but when I heard Imaishi was directing, I thought it would most likely be silly, and this proves it... Imaishi is a fun animator, so it will still be fun but....I really wanted somthing serious, not many shows take advantage of that time setting, but when their style is this, whats the point of getting details right? oh and about what you guys said and will say that new gainax sucks because they made this and kindergarden setting, and manga adaptations, REMEMBER they had that stuff back then to, we just dont talk about thoughs nor can we find them, I still think they will set the trends again one day
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story centers around a teen-celebrity-like blond-haired girl named Panty and a black-haired Goth Loli girl named Stocking. The two are angels sent from the heavens to battle the "Ghosts" on Earth.

This sounds exactly like the sort of thing that would be in Anime News Nina as a parody.

On the other hand, 1900-era England is a pretty interesting setting, so maybe it ill be worth checking out for that. I am never going to refer to the series by that title, however.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
I rather like the ridiculous concept. Shows like this are likely to seem like parodies whether they intend to be or not. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GARlock

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
Whoa, I am seriously loving those designs. The PPG style sets it apart from most other anime and with simpler designs I'm sure we'll get some insanely awesome animation. I'm not quite sold on the plot, but it definitely seems like it's going to be a visual feast more than anything else, so I won't be too picky.

It certainly seems like it won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it definitely has the potential to be a hit. With the combination of the cutesy designs and what I'm sure will be crazy kinetic action, it could definitely appeal to a wide range of people. I'm so totally pumped. Cool
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
GARlock wrote:
I'm so totally pumped. Cool

On that note, any chance of a female detective named, "C. F. M. Pumps?"
bendomolena

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ha, my theory was partially right. It was moe girls fighting (facepalm)
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
A quick translation of the Japanese text in the scan tells me that the show is going to be primarily action and that it is going to be full of violence so brutal that will make people wonder how Gainax is going to get away with showing it in TV.

And apparently, Garterbelt is Panty and Stocking's boss, God.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ok, now that looks wicked. i'm definitely interested now.

EDIT: are you guys allowed to post scans in the news article like that? that doesn't seem legal.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:
Ha, my theory was partially right. It was moe girls fighting (facepalm)

Then is everything with cute girls considered moe? Good grief...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Well this should be interesting Wink .

NO kidding. However THIS IS GANIAX after all , And if it's antics are as similar to FLCL & Gurren Lagan or if possibly surpass FLCL , then it's a series I am definately keeping an eye on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Imaishi's introduction strip for Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt has been scanned:

Summary: Panty is a bitchy girl that loves booze and having sex with men, Stocking is a shy girl that loves sweets and blood and Garterbelt, their boss, is a black priest with an afro.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Looks like something one would see on MAD magazine, except maybe with a young girl sleeping with men. Laughing
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
And this has to do with 1900s Britain... what exactly?

Also, is it just me or are they really trying too hard?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10