• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Just watched the japanese and english back to back, and back and forth... Looks (sounds?) like the music is more or less the same, and about half the lyrics are very, very similar, with the rest echoing similar sentiments.

I guess I'm even more mystified as to how that constitutes a 'slap in the face' to every Beck fan in the world.

As for lip flap sync, the Japanese version of the song has gaping holes where Koyuki's mouth is moving, but no new syllables are on the audio track. I don't see how anyone could blame the english cast for doing a worse job than the japanese cast, at least for these episodes. Perhaps this is another symptom of a rushed ending? Does anyone have any information about how long the series was planned to last?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Couple of questions for anyone who has a clue. The song is still on the japanese track, right? Did Japan get a license for the song? If so, how? And if not, how are they able to use it and also leave it on the US release disc?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I met Greg Ayres at NDK back in September and we had a really nice chat about BECK, both of us being huge fans of it. At one point he mentioned that FUNi was unable to obtain the rights to use the Beatles song. To give FUNi a chance, Greg and several other actors on the show, I think Johnny Yong Bosch was another, offered to work on the latter half for free. Alas, it didn't work but they tried so it's not like the change was done willingly. And when you think about it for a minute, it's the Beatles, there's no way obtaining the rights to use one of their songs is easy.
I've heard basically the same thing at BECK convention panels from Greg Ayres, Chris Ayres, and Talessin Jaffe, and it seems perfectly believable to me. Consider that even big Hollywood studios haven't secured rights to use Beatles songs on movie soundtracks. Struggling anime industry aside, there's no way that Funimation could've afforded the rights.

From what I've heard, "I've got a feeling" isn't even on the Japanese DVD release, much like Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" wasn't on the Japanese or the Funi DVD release of Speed Grapher. Someone summed it up in a quoted post on these forums by saying, "[The song's inclusion in the TV broadcast] wasn't so much a miracle as it was illegal."
KairuRoukan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
That's a little disappointing to hear, but it's not like they can really do anything about it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
Copyright on those songs should be expired by now IMO, the fact it isn't.. saddens me. Is it really right for people to earn a return on something they did so many decades ago? What happened to the public domain. And it's not even the same people who are earning that money, wasn't it Michael Jackson who at one time owned the Beatles music? I'm sure he sold it in his crisis to yet someone else.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Copyright duration is perhaps a topic for another thread, but the idea is that even if it was years ago that a song/story/picture was created, the creator should be the one to benefit from it. This thought is one of the main ideas behind the current writer's strike, which also considers the results of studios forcing writers to surrender all rights in return for one-time payment. Copyright used to be a set number of years, then it was extended to the length of the author's life (with variations). What happens when a corporation claims to be the legal author is a subject for debate, since corporations are essentially immortal.

Michael Jackson did own the Beatles catalog for a while, buying it in the mid-80's out from under Paul McCartney, ending the Paul/Michael friendship. I remember hearing a couple years ago that Jackson was looking to sell the catalog, but I don't recall hearing who bought it.

I'm not familiar with "I've Got a Feeling" in either the Beatles or the as-broadcast Koyuki version... perhaps the song on the Japanese dub track of the US DVDs isn't even that song to begin with? Did the Japanese replace the song in between the TV broadcast and the DVD, so that they didn't have to license "Feeling"? I don't download, so I don't know what it might have been originally in the show, and I don't have a copy of "Feeling" here to compare to.

If the Japanese did replace the song, and Funimation translated the second one, we're back around to the first post, and my response to it... Funimation hasn't 'given every Beck fan a slap in the face', they've done their level best with a challenging, rewarding series.

[One side effect of watching the Japanese track was clearing up why the manga calls Ryuske's guitar "Lucille", and the english dub calls it "Prudence" - "Lucille" is the name used in the Japanese dub. The english directors must have wanted to move away from confusing Ryuske's guitar with BB King's, and gave it a different name. Which just leaves confusion between Sonny Boy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson Smile ]
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Copyright on those songs should be expired by now IMO, the fact it isn't.. saddens me. Is it really right for people to earn a return on something they did so many decades ago?

Ummm, yes; especially considering that 2 of the original Beatles are still alive today. Secondly, copyright does expire but, according to US law, the duration is 70 years after the original author dies (120 years if it's a "corporate authorship") OR 95 years after initial publication; whichever comes first.

Quote:
One side effect of watching the Japanese track was clearing up why the manga calls Ryuske's guitar "Lucille", and the english dub calls it "Prudence" - "Lucille" is the name used in the Japanese dub. The english directors must have wanted to move away from confusing Ryuske's guitar with BB King's, and gave it a different name.

Again, Greg Ayres talked to me about this. Lucille is a copyrighted name that BB King owns and it had to be renamed to Prudence because they couldn't reach an agreement on the use of Lucille. Yes I know, it's really kind of dumb but that's they way it is.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
leafborn wrote:
Funimation has just slapped every BECK fan across the face. One of the best songs in the series, "I've got a Feeling" has been torn from the episode and been replaced. I don't know the name of the song, but whether you're watching it in Japanese or English "I've got a Feeling" no longer exists. The song doesn't remotely come close to maching Koyoki's lips moving.

-Extremely pissed off

Did you bother to watch the commentary track? The song is “50c Wisdom” performed by the Beat Crusaders on the KEITH soundtrack. The song plays a pivotal role in the series as this is the song played in episode 8 when Koyuki meets Saku. This is the song Koyoki broadcasts over the intercom at school and is one of his favorite songs by The Dying Breed.

I am disappointed they had to change it but it couldn’t be helped. The Japanese subtitle track plays the same song (I think). I’m actually more disappointed at the defective copy rightstuf sent me…it keeps skipping during episode 24 and 25.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafborn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I guess I over reacted a little there. No, I didn't bother to watch the commentary. I was just taken back when I was watching the DVD and "I've got a Feeling" was replaced by something else. I immediately got online and searching here and other places to see if anyone else had mentioned the same occuring. (Was desperately hoping the DVD I got was just defective.) I couldn't find anything, so I made that angry post.

I still think if Funimation wanted to be true to the series, and to the original director, that they should have made the effort to aquire the license. Needless to say, it was terrible awkward watching the Japanese track and hearing Koyuki's voice suddenly change . . . .
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
leafborn wrote:
I still think if Funimation wanted to be true to the series, and to the original director, that they should have made the effort to aquire the license. Needless to say, it was terrible awkward watching the Japanese track and hearing Koyuki's voice suddenly change . . . .

Did you not read what I said? What do you call several actors offering to work for free in order to get the song?

And for the record, I've heard the Japanese didn't use the song legally; a bit strange considering that Sony owns most of the Beatles' catalog right now.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Went out and bought a copy of "Let It Be", the Beatles album "I've got a feeling" appears on... the Beatles song is quite close in sound and lyric to what Koyuki sings. Although not an exact match (obviously), there's not a large amount of difference between them.

Listened again to the commentary track, and about the first five minutes is all about the 'mystery song', and how getting the rights to the Beatles tune didn't pan out, so they went with the replacement song. They do mention that the song is not based on '50c wisdom', but that they kind of overlaid '50c' on top of the japanese version of the song, tying it back to other uses of '50c' in the show (the Shawshank bit, plus a few other uses).

Regarding copyright... just found this chartfor those who are curious. Current durations are indeed longer than I was remembering.

Lucille - If BB King has copyrighted the name, now I'm wondering how the manga publishers worked around it.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lucille - If BB King has copyrighted the name, now I'm wondering how the manga publishers worked around it.

It would be a trademark-infringement issue rather than a copyright issue. Gibson makes a signature-line model called the B.B. King Lucille and the Lucille in BECK rather obviously is not one. The B.B. King Lucille (or ES-345/ES-355) looks completely different from Ryusuke's Les Paul, which also has no Lucille script on the head. If asked if it was OK to call the guitar Lucille, Gibson probably just said "no, that's not a Lucille".

As for the manga... it remains Lucille. Presumably no one thought to ask (or care).
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Question: If it was illegal to air "I've got a feeling" on TV, how the heck were they able to put it on the OST and not get sued?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I didn't even remember about the "I've Got a Feeling" change, despite the fact I saw the dub months ago(Thanks MuchMusic). I remembered the Lucille change though.

I'm fairly certain this probably has been discussed before in this thread, but for the sake of curiosity(part Lazy-ines on my part) does the dub have the Japanese text when everyone is speaking English in the sub, like the broadcast version did?
Kriz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
question for those who already have the sixth volume: which song do they include as a music video?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10