• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I DON'T WANT spoiler[RAPE] IN MY CRAZY DUMB ROBOT SHOWS

IF YOU DO PUT IT IN MY CRAZY DUMB ROBOT SHOWS I AM GOING TO STOP WATCHING THEM AND CALL YOU LAZY [expletive] HACKS.

BECAUSE YOU ARE.

YOU DO NOT USE spoiler[RAPE] AS A CHEAP PLOT DEVICE.

Thank you.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it meant to be crazy dumb or is that just your reaction because you don't think it's good enough to take at face value? The impression I got was that it takes itself seriously.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
IF YOU DO PUT IT IN MY CRAZY DUMB ROBOT SHOWS I AM GOING TO STOP WATCHING THEM AND CALL YOU LAZY [expletive] HACKS.

Pssh. I could have told you the creators were hacks based on the first few episodes. Funny how you're so tolerant of production staff being hacks in some areas but not in others.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

On the other hand, I think Kaoshin might be pushing the so-called "anti-Sunrise bias" angle a little too hard, since despite my disagreements with numerous people in this thread I wouldn't automatically accuse them of only disliking the show -or its treatment of a controversial plot device- for that reason alone. Admittedly, those sorts of folks do exist, but it's not a good idea to make such accusations blindly.

Like I said I'm pointing to a general overriding factor in tone that I see as one of the most blatant and default in the current anime fanbase that I interact with online. Each person, each show and each case is different, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it was somewhat of a factor with a lot of people in this case.

Valvrave would be one of those shows that I like, but don't love yet I certainly don't get the hatred for it's staff espoused by some when the clear goal is to deliver an over the top super robot show with colorful characters ala King Gainer as opposed to a "deep philosophical anime". It has an interesting setup and world building but questionable YMMV execution on many fronts as it seems everything has to be depicted in media res and thus it leaves you hanging on a lot of plot points until it comes time to deal with them in the context of the story.

This creates a tense and frenetic atmosphere that resembles that of a blockbuster thriller, but it also limits the number of meaningful interactions the cast is able to have at any given time because things always have to keep developing since it's on the fly with the whole journey to the moon constant pursuit thing ala many Gundam storylines. I assume most plot points will ultimately be resolved, but will be in an asynchronous manner since this show doesn't really have arcs of specific focus so much as one unbroken chain of events that form a season.

Some characters are written better than others. I find the core cast of Haruto, Saki, Shoko and L-Elf to be fairly well explored (though the hanging plot point on the motivations with the princess is driving me nuts) so far while others like the busty student council member, the useless teacher and Thunder are mostly used as the butt of gags and fanservice material. Pure comic relief to date. Kyuuma has his reasons for fighting that go beyond just the desire to find a way to make a quick buck now, but hasn't been developed far beyond his desire for revenge much like Thunder. The split in the season threatens to leave the majority of the supporting cast hanging in the lurch a bit and their parts unfilled for now if the even all make it through.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Pssh. I could have told you the creators were hacks based on the first few episodes. Funny how you're so tolerant of production staff being hacks in some areas but not in others.

It was fun. Dumb, but fun.

Then it became dumb and not fun.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I DON'T WANT spoiler[RAPE] IN MY CRAZY DUMB ROBOT SHOWS

Which is fair enough.

I don't actively want that either, but this still doesn't anger me quite as much when it does happen.

If I suddenly started to care about the ethical merits of fiction or wasn't enjoying the rest of the show, both before and after the event in question, then perhaps I'd think differently.

jymmy wrote:
Is it meant to be crazy dumb or is that just your reaction because you don't think it's good enough to take at face value? The impression I got was that it takes itself seriously.

No, I think all the evidence supports that conclusion. Melodrama does not equal true seriousness.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

No, I think all the evidence supports that conclusion. Melodrama does not equal true seriousness.

Melodrama doesn't necessarily mean bad though which is what a lot of people don't seem to grasp when they are doing the whole armchair critic thing. I think Star Trek DS9 is incredibly melodramatic both in acting and in scripting, but I also think it's the best written Sci-Fi TV show I've ever seen because of the topics it explores, the interactions of the cast and how they all tie together. Similarly but to a significantly lesser degree I find Valvrave melodramatic as hell, but find it's plot and characters fascinating, amusing and always want to come back to see what happens next and I don't have to take it super seriously or find that it revolutionizes anime to do say. I also don't have to shut off my brain or feel like I should somehow feel some form of guilt or shame for enjoying the show either, funny that.

That is to say I find it good but not great and also a far cry from a masterpiece.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't know why a dumb, goofy-ass show like Valvrave would have something like that in it in the first place. Christ, come up with something better if you want to be controversial.

Yet violence and people dying slides by without controversy, because we are used to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Zac wrote:
I don't know why a dumb, goofy-ass show like Valvrave would have something like that in it in the first place. Christ, come up with something better if you want to be controversial.

Yet violence and people dying slides by without controversy, because we are used to it.

This is such a great argument and everyone who uses it always sounds like the smartest guy in the room.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I am officially ceasing any attempt to moderate or follow this thread, since it's become primarily a discussion about the last couple of episodes instead of the first six (isn't that what the series thread is for?) and it's quite clear that there's no way to follow it without being drawn into spoilers for content that happens well beyond the scope of the linked review. Even when people aren't outright saying what the big event is a few episodes down the road, they're making it blatantly clear by the comments what the event is.

Last point I'm making or reading in this thread. Congrats, guys n' gals, on ruining for me the "what stunt is it going to pull next" factor, which IMO is the best thing the series has going for it. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Was going to let it go earlier, but since you came back and made a point of it....

Key wrote:

Last point I'm making or reading in this thread. Congrats, guys n' gals, on ruining for me the "what stunt is it going to pull next" factor, which IMO is the best thing the series has going for it. Evil or Very Mad

That was the best thing Another had going for it, but that didn't stop you from providing information that the TV series had deliberately obscured in the discussion thread. You largely ruined the mystery of that series for me, so my sympathy for you here is rather lacking.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Well v1cious and Fencedude5609, I hope you're happy now. Especially you v1cious; deliberately spoiling things because "people might want to know" is pretty low, especially for a series that thrives on plot twists.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
blame game time?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And you never reviewed Horizon because you willfully refused to even try and pay attention to it. So pardon me for not giving a shit.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:

And you never reviewed Horizon because you willfully refused to even try and pay attention to it. So pardon me for not giving a shit.

Fence do everyone a favor and f*** off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11