• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatchaman Crowds (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
So i picked this up again after it got so much praise on The Stream and i'm glad i did. Instead of a generic superhero anime with an annoying female lead i got a show with a pretty refreshing take on the superhero genre and a very unique female lead. I liked the entire cast but Hajime really grew on me with her eccentric personality and why not just look at things from a different angle for once? attitude.

I agree that the final episode wasn't entirely satisfying, especially when it comes tospoiler[ the fate of OD and Katze], but overall it was a fairly enjoyable show. And i'm glad i marathoned it this since it had some fairly evil cliffhangers.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
Can we all at least agree that it had a clearer and more satisfying ending than Neon Genesis Evangelion? Wink
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching this about an hour ago and I really liked it.

I'm not quite sure what kind of show to think that this is. It's not the costumed hero show that the title might make you think. I really liked that it was stingy with its action sequences and had characters who accomplished the most when not transformed. It didn't just roll over and give us the heroes transforming to knock a monster around every week and I dug that.

I'm too cynical about social media to really go along with the idealistic premise, but it had ambitions and thought them through some, which I admired. I greatly appreciated that the series didn't just cheaply slag off on the established political system, but treated it rather sympathetically. I was afraid for a moment that Prime Minister was going to be made into a hopelessly intransigent regressive who behaved in all defiance of reason and reality, but it flinched back refreshingly from making him this show's equivalent to the police captain in Die Hard.

Hajime Ichinose was a terrific character. She looked at the surface like the kind of bumbling, too-energetic ditz archetype, but instead it made her smart and farsighted. It didn't feel like it was deliberate obfuscation or an affectation, but a really genuine, implacable character. All of that made her a really distinct, appealing character. I do wish, however, that she had been forced to confront more emotionally challenging situations to see how her demeanor adapted or if it would persist if faced with a horrible personal loss, crushing defeat or something else psychologically traumatic.

Berg-Katze was an entertaining villain and inspired the kind of agitated reaction that a good villain should. I was a little frustrated, however, that its motivation seemed to just be 'because I'm evil'. It might be a little more sophisticated than that, but for a series with such ambitious themes and clever characterization of its lead, having such a familiar kind of malevolent cackler for its big bad was a little dissatisfying.

I didn't entirely understand the finale or certain things about the series. What exactly were the MESS? Hajime's final scene was a little baffling. I'm personally inclined to think that spoiler[OD is dead], but I feel like that deserved some sort of emotional consequence. I think that Gatchaman Crowds' high-energy style might have impeded its ability to deal properly with certain parts of the human emotional spectrum.

Summer of 2013 was a season of surprises, this being one of them. I'm glad that enough people stumped for it that I noticed. My satisfaction with Gatchman Crowds certainly redoubles my confidence that I should watch Tsuritama, which is an earlier work by the same director.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
^I'd say tsuritama was one of the weaker Nakamura's series. IMO, Kuuchuu Buranko will always remain his best one (Fukuicchi had me laughing every time he showed up on screen), so I recommend you to check that one out if you want to watch something by the same director. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
I still think that Nakamura's "Bakeneko" arc in Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales, and its sequel, the unlicensed Mononoke, are the best shows of his that I've seen, and I've seen them all. Despite their supernatural setting, the evil forces depicted are all the result of human agency. On top of that, Sakurai Takahiro delivers one of his most powerful voice acting performances in the lead role.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I’ve finally watched the whole series, and in my opinion it was great! I love how the heroes use non-violent ways to solve problems, an idea that I hold very dear and the show presented this both through the character of Hajime Ichinose, who tries to communicating instead of fighting with MESS and Katze, and also through the whole idea behind Crowds and Galax. Generally I’ve always been interested in how social media could be applied to solve practical problems, and it was cool to see an anime basically based on this concept. Concerning Hajime herself I liked the idea of character that’s positive and full of emotions that at first glance seems to fit the stereotypical tropes involved with such hero, as in being irrational and generally silly, but actually turns out to be the most clear-thinking and rational of the cast. This makes her quite distinct in my opinion and puts her on my “favorite characters in anime list” Wink.

The ending satisfied me quite a bit, with its presentation of what people can do when they are free to cooperate with each other and choose how to help others based on their skills. It was really quite satisfying to see Katze being proven wrong while people ignore him, and we see the Crowds being used to bring order to Tachikawa and fighting the neo-hundred. One thing I thought was lacking was some kind of closure to the main cast’s stories. We don’t really know anything about what happened to anyone except for OD and Hajime.

In general I ended the last episode with a huge smile on my face and would highly recommend it to anyone.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
One thing I thought was lacking was some kind of closure to the main cast’s stories. We don’t really know anything about what happened to anyone except for OD and Hajime.

Rumour has it that there were serious problems in the studio during the production stage and that's why half of the penultimate episode is a recap and the last episode seems somehow incomplete as if something is omitted due to lack of time.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the series myself and really liked it. Around the net, I see so many people say that they dropped it because of Hajime which is a shame since she's such a great character.
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I just finished watching the series myself and really liked it. Around the net, I see so many people say that they dropped it because of Hajime which is a shame since she's such a great character.

+1. She made the series very enjoyable with a big thanks to Berg Katze

The voice acting on Berg Katze was just superb, lol. Mamoru Miyano's voice definitely fits the role.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Maybe they've only seen the first episode. I'd understand that some people could expect that a protagonist with such an outgoing personality would be irrational or dumb, but it's in the second episode we find out she's actually really smart and that she can think outside the box.
Quote:
Rumour has it that there were serious problems in the studio during the production stage and that's why half of the penultimate episode is a recap and the last episode seems somehow incomplete as if something is omitted due to lack of time.
On tvtropes people have written that they're actually supposed to release something like an OVA or an additional episode.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Pacal II wrote:
One thing I thought was lacking was some kind of closure to the main cast’s stories. We don’t really know anything about what happened to anyone except for OD and Hajime.

Hope it is something like that, and not some production decision that this was a great idea.

After all, spoiler[why are the Messy there at the end, the missing footage of the battle/conflict/capture of Berg Katze by Hajime (did the rest of the Gatchaman help?), and what happened to the missing Gatchaman at the end. Figured OD is probably dead, but they didn't finalize that detail or show the Gatchaman crew dealing with it.]

Not looking for answers, cause I already heard the answer is to visit the Japanese website.

Loved the series, liked the resolution of the CROWDS problem, but the last two episodes have serious problems.

Its would be like watching Return of the Jedi. You finish watching the victory of the Ewoks over the Empire's forces on the planet Endor, then it cuts to the evening victory party on Endor. Completely omitting the final battle between the Emperor, Darth Vader, and Luke Skywalker. Leaving you to assume that Luke Skywalker somehow won, since the Death Star is a vaporized star in the night sky and Luke is walking among the living.

spoiler[That is what the final episode of Gatchaman Crowds did. Along with recapping the entire series in the next to final episode.]

Loved the series, but it really needs an OVA to complete this story.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
Quote:
On tvtropes people have written that they're actually supposed to release something like an OVA or an additional episode.

I have just watched this fixed version of the last episode. It contains the missing showdown between Hajime and Katze and the fate of OD is made clear. Highly recommended for those who felt unsatisfied with the ending.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Pacal II wrote:
Quote:

I have just watched this fixed version of the last episode. It contains the missing showdown between Hajime and Katze and the fate of OD is made clear. Highly recommended for those who felt unsatisfied with the ending.

ASDFLDKASDFKLSDLKFASDFLSADFKASDF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't just say that and leave! ASDFASDGASD

*Goes looking online for information*

Spoiler for the fate of one character: spoiler[O.D. LIVES! *cries tears of happiness* Now I just need to watching the phmugging episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
What Aylinn said... pleases me, as does willag's spoiler.

That episode was pretty disjointed, as I recall.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Sentai's release will include the director's cut of episode 12? It looks like it came out in January. Their release on Rightstuf's website only shows 300 minutes for 12 episodes, so that would make me think not. I really, really, really want that episode. I would gladly wait for a delay of the release in order to have that episode included.

I should e-mail Sentai and find out if they have any plans on getting it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12