• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kanye West Makes Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
If Kanye says he's a businessman first, it seems to me he's taking the advice that people like Chuck D and Ice-T have been giving musicians for years. Talent is something you have whether you're in the industry or not. But once you get into the industry, you're getting into a business, and therefore you should be a businessman in order to make it work best for you.

Manga, I believe, is also a business first and an art form second. The most important thing about manga isn't its individual artists, but the successful business model it presents for comics (Japanese themselves use the words "komikksu" and "manga" fairly interchangably) that allows artists to reach a much larger audience, and to be more financially successful, than comics have been in the West.

There is no lack of writing and artistic talent in Western comics; I don't believe they are fundamentally inferior to manga in a creative sense. But whereas the American system is happy these days if 20,000 people read a title each month, the Japanese system allows 2,000,000 to read a title each week. Of course you have to judge how an individual work comes out (just as you do with manga) but I applaud non-Japanese who are taking inspiration from manga to develop alternate publication models for comics.
ponlork

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
repeating yourself like Mike Jones there haha but yeah I can dig what you're sprinkling but I think the majority of rappers today, are in the bidness for money and fame. though that doesn't mean they're all money hungry industry whores and gold diggers who will do anything to get the skrilla even if it means selling themselves out. Hip Hop is a business, that's all these commercial rappers talk about these days is makin money being on tha grind hu$tlin pushin weight gettin they money straight on the curve servin slangin rocks making cheese chin chilla dolla dolla bills bling iced out from head to toe 25 wit da izzo got no where to gizzle i know it's all about the Benjamin’s baby. But just like any other profession they need that money so I can't hate on Kanye for being a businessman, I just don't think everything he does is based solely on making money but i wouldn't know, I don't know dude like that. In my opinion, I thought his comments on Hurricane Katrina was sincere even though some folks out there thought it was for publicity. But yeah I he sometimes come accross as sounding a bit egotistical and whiney.
FuuH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
ack! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post three times...my computer was acting weird when I posted originally. ^^;

I can understand that some people do things for profit. It's natural. I suppose it's just the way he comes off. It's as if his first intention is the money, then the fame, and finally the heart of it all. Also, I know many function like that - but it's also how open he can be about it. A lot of people have gripes about his openness to being an egomaniac and all - it really is a turn off.

I do agree about the American manga bit, tho. ^_^ I find it cool that anyone can be inspired and have their own manga made. I don't think it has to originate in Japan to be at least be influenced by the idea (we've all dreamt of the perfect anime/manga that maybe ourselves could make)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grimmstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kayne is a d*ck that makes controversial statements to get press (i.e. white people shouldn't use black slang until it's a year old, the white man created AIDS, etc.), and the Katrina thing might have been sincere, but it also could have been another way for him to generate more controversy surrounding himself. It's all a business for him...and so is this "manga" project.

If he doesn't try to convey these statements in the forthcoming issues and gives the writers and illustrators some autonomy to draw on the positives of his music rather than the negatives of the man, it might have a chance.

What people really need to be afraid of is 50 Cent making a manga-style serial. We've seen how well his crap translates to visual media. Rolling Eyes
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well, maybe we could use a good ghetto based "comic" once in a while.

Which Tokyo Tribes has failed to provide it seems.

WARNING WARNING Politically Incorrect rant ahead

spoiler[I think the problem here it seems is that Black People have assimilated alot of pop culture, and their only in it to make a profit out of it, or corrupt it in their own form (just from observation). I've known a few people in the automotive world that laud the DUB's and "Spinners" that seem prevalent today, and I know of some of the more refined and classic car buffs that absolutely HATE the modifications done by some rappers to Luxury cars and Classic American Iron. (which ironiclly had it's roots in Lowrider Culture, done by Mexican Americans!!)

In this case, I think it's more of this: Kanye West has alot of baggage coming in (Katrine remarks, comparing himself to god, etc.), and once he announced that "Hey, I wanna Make a Manga!!" all this baggage just came out and immediately derided any clout Kanye had. ]
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'd say we shouldn't judge right now. We should judge when he actually releases the manga (or comic to others) and see whether he has the potential in this market. He certainly isn't cashing in the increasing popular culture. I mean, if he wants to make millions, he could have easily released a new album and quaranteed a million sellers. What I see in this is, this is an honest attempt to create something out of his hobby/interest. So far, his music have been good and I listened to his latest album and it sounded pretty nice. He's a great rapper. I don't know why someone I read a few pages earlier claimed that he glorifies evil "stuff" etc. Maybe you're confusing Kanye to 50 cent?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I agree, he is a good rapper. But when you make smart-ass remarks then people will start to question your views and they think that's the real you. He just didn't think of the consequences.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I have never seen so much crap in a forum. (insert: 'you must not read a lot of forums then' joke here) Lots of people are judging a manga based off the person and not the content. We don't have content yet, but thats even more of a reason not to fly off the handle and start attacking what doesn't yet exist.

For the Katrina record- a lot of what he said was true. I agreed with him when he said that because it was true and not because it was a black person speaking to another black person.

I can understand where a lot of these people are coming from- even though I'm black I never really had much intrest in black culture or music for that matter. Kanye changed that- his lyrics weren't talking about the hoes he had or how much sex he had with every other girl- or how many people he shot in the streets. And I can even go so far to say that the image non-black people have of us is granted. Its the image we put out there. To see someone say- "yeah that's gonna be ghetto" I can see where you'd get that.

But as with all things keep in mind that they aren't the same. Not every manga is the same- so just because a black person is making on its not going to have to be ghetto. So hey everyone- just wait until the manga comes out and then pass judgement.

~Brit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

For the Katrina record- a lot of what he said was true. I agreed with him when he said that because it was true and not because it was a black person speaking to another black person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina#Aftermath

Let's just leave that point at that, 'kay?

Quote:
I can understand where a lot of these people are coming from- even though I'm black I never really had much intrest in black culture or music for that matter. Kanye changed that- his lyrics weren't talking about the hoes he had or how much sex he had with every other girl- or how many people he shot in the streets. And I can even go so far to say that the image non-black people have of us is granted. Its the image we put out there. To see someone say- "yeah that's gonna be ghetto" I can see where you'd get that.

Well duh. Unfortunately, when someone points out to black people about images that make them look bad, all they can yell out is "RACIST!!"

Quote:
But as with all things keep in mind that they aren't the same. Not every manga is the same- so just because a black person is making on its not going to have to be ghetto. So hey everyone- just wait until the manga comes out and then pass judgement.

~Brit

Please quit saying it's a manga. Kayne is not Japanese, ergo, it's an OEL or an American comic that is influenced by manga.

Manga is to Japan as Manhwa is to Korean. Get that right!!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
There are lots of questionable things in that very article.

Why decline any type of help? If you don't have the resources on your own (which in the Red Cross case may have been true but government no) why decline any type of help? The people need to be saved and need that money and nothing should have stood in the way of that.

For the looting statements- it's believed it covered up a racial comment. Like everything esle its arguable, so either of us could be correct.

If they knew about the leeve damage then they should have said- hey these leeves may break. Get out righ tnow you don't have a choice.

It just seems very odd. We can spend billions on countries that aren't even our own but when we need the money ourseleves it suddenly disappers? The only thing that made this big besides the actual event was it happened to be minorities and everything went wrong. We didn't seem to have any problems when he sent troops and supplies to other counturies that shared our "intrests".

Kayne simply said what had been on the minds of people for years. As for going so far to say Bush hates black people no...I wouldn't say that. He just seems to prefer black people with money.

Sorry- I just typed based on what the ANN headline was...i'll refer to it as manga-style from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:44 am Reply with quote
I think it's kind of a cool idea myself actually. I'm by no means of a fan of Bill Plympton's artwork and Kanye could have done a helluva lot better in the art department....just look at the flat out GORGEOUS artwork in Image Comics' "Nine Rings of Wu-Tang". That should be an indication of where he should have gone. Hell, get Michael Turner or Ed Mcguinness or someone with some decent style. Bill Plympton though? Yech. Anyway, if it turns out anything like Wu-Tang's comic from Image from a few years back, it may be pretty cool. I'm not overly familiar with Kanye's stuff as I'm not into newer music almost at all, but what the hell right? Artistic Expression is a wonderful thing. If he thinks it's a cool idea, I hope he goes for it and it actually comes to pass unlike so much else that gets promised these days and never sees the light of day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Doubt it, his name has become a staple. When people talk about the production of a song, they say it's "Kanye-esque." Not just in mainstream, but underground, too.

Slang comes and goes, too. Saying something's "Kanye-esque" will probably go the way of "Git-R-Done" and calling homosexual things "brokeback" when they pass into the absence of memory, as well. Having a buzzword named after you at the pinnacle of your popularity does not earn you "irreplaceable staple" status; let's wait and see if that term weathers the test of time first.

Yeah, probably, but it shows his merits go beyond lyrics and that dumbass Bush pajoritive. I just think it's a little too soon to say he's in his "last 15 minutes of fame".
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I just think it's a little too soon to say he's in his "last 15 minutes of fame".

It's also way to soon to say he's not, which makes the fact that half the people here want to jump the gun and call him Holy Jesuit Saviour of All that is Music right here and now (and then get all elitist and snipe that anyone that disagrees is "ignorant") utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.

If he's good, he's good. If he's not, he's not. But none of us have any place yet to call him a has-been or the next great milestone in the history of all things musical. And far too many people here on both sides of that argument like to claim that they do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:39 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
RezSav wrote:
I just think it's a little too soon to say he's in his "last 15 minutes of fame".

It's also way to soon to say he's not, which makes the fact that half the people here want to jump the gun and call him Holy Jesuit Saviour of All that is Music right here and now (and then get all elitist and snipe that anyone that disagrees is "ignorant") utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.

If he's good, he's good. If he's not, he's not. But none of us have any place yet to call him a has-been or the next great milestone in the history of all things musical. And far too many people here on both sides of that argument like to claim that they do.

Excellent this is what I said in an earlier post. If it is meant to be, it will sell. I, am a flirt with micro markets so this is simple to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kanye West cannot make manga. He's not Japanese. Thus, that makes him completely unqualified to create manga.

Under the popular definition, manga includes "Japanese comics". Twisted Evil
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8