• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach English Dub Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
I agree, Bosch did very well with Ichigo. Honestly when seeing the preview for Bleach, and hearing Rukia's voice, it was hard hearing it and putting the two together. However after seeing the first episode, it's definitely going to grow on me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode. Color me impressed. Anybody who has been around here long enough and seen many of my rants on the subject knows my position. I generally prefer the original language - and watch 90% of my stuff with english subtitles.

This has the making of a very good dub. Actors and a director who truly care about the project they are working on. Speaking as both an anime fan and an actor, I really liked what I heard tonight. Johnny Yong Bosch slid right into the role for Ichigo. Just wait until the majority of the cast gets a full handle on their characters - I believe it will get even better.

Now while I do personally think the Naruto dub (as a whole) is kinda crappy (some individual work was solid), this may be the first dub associated with Viz that I've liked in recent years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
excel958

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like the dubbing. Here's why:

Quote:
I'm an actor, not an imitator

Reason why I'm not a fan of dubbing. Lets face it. Ichigo is a punk. He was a punk in episode one. And he is a punk now. Sure he's changed a bit. But the punkishness inside him still stays. Thus he should sound a little more punkish. I don't care of the dubbing is good. I'm not saying the Bleach dub is bad. Just it has some issues. I personally only like shows in the language which it was first recorded. I'm not going to watch a Hong Kong film with an english dub because I rather listen to it in Mandarin or Cantonese.
Quote:
and I want those familiar with the original to have a fresh satisfying experience. Almost like seeing a movie for the second time and discovering something new about it.

See I disagree with that. If I watch the english dub. I want to see Bleach. Not "Bleach v2.0". Compare Park Chan-Wook's film "Oldboy". In English it's horrendous. Because of that, the mood and emotions are not there. You get a whole different feel from watching it rather watching it in Korean. The same applies with Bleach. Yeah it's better than the English Dub in Oldboy. But I get a different experience when watching it. And that I don't like. I want the experience to be what the Director/Creator wanted it to be. Not a whole new one because of a different cast. Like I said. I want "Bleach in English" not "Bleach v2.0"

So in essence, I don't like dubbing period. Any show. Any movie. Any language.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Sweetmusic_01 wrote:
I agree, Bosch did very well with Ichigo.

QFT because Ichigo's voice was very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I also thought JYB's voice was a good fit for Ichigo, and I expect that the dub will only improve as the VAs get a better feel for their characters. Michelle Ruff as Rukia hasn't grown on me yet, but I think I'll get used to her after watching a few more episodes. Luckily, I have nothing to compare the dub to, as I haven't seen any fansubbed episodes or read the manga. Everyone criticizing the dub seems to dislike it only because "it's not like the original Japanese seiyuu".

I wonder what those people would think if they thought about the possibility of an english VA actually being better than the original? It's a matter of personal opinion, but I preferred many of the dub voices for FLCL and Super Gals over the originals. I'm sure there are cases of manga writers not liking a chosen seiyuu because he/she didn't fit the character well. New english voices have ruined many characters, for sure, but there are those that have improved because of the dubbing process.
shanni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote
gaah...i agree
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I think Bosch did a good job with Ichigo. It takes a little getting used to, but its good. Michelle Ruff is great as Rukia. I thought her voice was spot on for the character.

It's hard to judge too much regarding the other characters. Yuzu and Karin have good voices, but I'm iffy on Dad. I'll have to hear more before I judge his voice.
cablebob2002

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
the first episode of bleach in english was ok but i didn't like the fact that they made rukia say she was a soul reaper and not a death god like it is on tv tokyo,and there were some other parts they changed that just didn't vibe well with me
__larissa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
cablebob2002 wrote:
but i didn't like the fact that they made rukia say she was a soul reaper and not a death god like it is on tv tokyo

I think they did that because in our culture 'Death God' will make people think she's the absolute authority on who dies, when they die, and where they die. Soul Reaper is closer to what Rukia actually does than Death God is.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
__larissa wrote:
cablebob2002 wrote:
but i didn't like the fact that they made rukia say she was a soul reaper and not a death god like it is on tv tokyo

I think they did that because in our culture 'Death God' will make people think she's the absolute authority on who dies, when they die, and where they die. Soul Reaper is closer to what Rukia actually does than Death God is.
In the fewest words possible, I have to agree.

Death 'God', just is too much for many to understand, even those of us who do read.[/sarcasm]

It does make sense though. And I think it works. (the dub that is)

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
So I just read through this whole mess of a thread and have summarized it like so:

* "Good dub" more like "Naruto dub" amirite :V

* Dubbing is bad because it should retain the original Japanese language/translations are never that accurate/English is a horrible language despite the fact I speak it on a regular basis.

* Dubbing is awesome because it is in a language I am more receptive of/I am incapable of comprehending the Japanese language/I read at a 3rd grade level and subtitles are confusing. Also, this dub job sucks because (cliche remark #12) I am mad.

* "Great dub" more like "Naruto dub" amirite :V oh wait I did that joke already.

* Shinigami equals "death god" however official Japanese stuffs do write it out in Engrish as "soul reaper" yet English Japanese Anime Elitist Superpowers argue because "death god" sounds cooler or is more accurate or soul reaper is a kiddy term oh god make it stop insert Psyduck emotion icon here I have a headache.

Personally, I don't care for English dubs, however, there are those that do, and if there is a demand for it, more power to them. All I ask is that when the R1 DVD release comes out, I get a Japanese language track out of it. If I watch anime on TV, my expectations are pretty low, but I can somewhat enjoy it without going into nerdrage mode and denouncing the dub as being a bastardization of the original for whatever minor reason (short of being a Sailor Moon DiC dubbing or whatnot). For example, when Naruto started airing on Cartoon Network, I may catch it now and again, but the dub wasn't causing me to start randomly logging on to random blogs/forums and typing incoherently about how Viz is like DiC version 2.6 or whatever the hell people type on their computing machines via slamming their faces into the keyboard repeatedly.

I look at dubs from an extremely neutral standpoint, but only because of my preference of watching the show in Japanese (yes, even if the dub is superior to the original, I will do that). As long as I have that option available to me, I could care less about the dub quality. There are those that do care, though, and I would rather see those people find a more constructive critiquing method than "I M ON TEH INTERNETS I HAEV OPINIANS HERE IZ Y I M RITE" or as Zac put it, the machine that generates those wacky replies we hear all over the place.

On that note, I've yet to see the dub for this show, but I'll keep my ear out for it (though once Viz brings them on DVD, I know what I'll be buying it for).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Mercury Crusader wrote:
* Dubbing is awesome because it is in a language I am more receptive of/I am incapable of comprehending the Japanese language/I read at a 3rd grade level and subtitles are confusing.
Me like colors, werily red culors, its preity
Quote:
I look at dubs from an extremely neutral standpoint, but only because of my preference of watching the show in Japanese (yes, even if the dub is superior to the original, I will do that). As long as I have that option available to me, I could care less about the dub quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Mercury Crusader wrote:
* Dubbing is awesome because it is in a language I am more receptive of/I am incapable of comprehending the Japanese language/I read at a 3rd grade level and subtitles are confusing.
Me like colors, werily red culors, its preity

To be fair, the first part of my statement was serious, the second not so much, and the third being ultra-sarcastic. Also, my head hurts from re-reading my post. No wonder I seldom post on these forums.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote
I watched the dub on AS. I missed the first run and had to stay up until 2:30 AM to catch it. Crying or Very sad

I thought all the VAs did a good job. Even better was that it aired with a full OP and ED in Japanese. =D>

They even kept the Japanese on screen text in. Bleach looked great! Definitely, staying up for this one.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:55 am Reply with quote
cablebob2002 wrote:
the first episode of bleach in english was ok but i didn't like the fact that they made rukia say she was a soul reaper and not a death god like it is on tv tokyo,and there were some other parts they changed that just didn't vibe well with me
Where did TV Tokyo say that she was a "Death God"? Maybe the fansubs said "Death God," depending on what version you watched, but there's a 0% chance that a Japanese-language broadcast for Japanese viewers said that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9