• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

RIP spoiler[Mitty. This was not surprising to me at all though considering the death flags in episode 6. He died a hero imo with his words and actions. There would of been a chance for him to escape too I believe. Anyways, he'll be missed for sure for his actions]

NEVER FORGET.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
This ep actually held 2 unexpected twists for me. Let's face it, we all knew somebody spoiler[was going to die this ep and it was pretty clear who from the foreshadowing and episode title. But I was actually expecting both of them to die. Additionally, I was expecting them to loose the flare gun and end up lighting up the enemy carrier by literally lighting up the enemy carrier. Like, crashing into it. So bonus points for not killing both of the people I liked.]

The second surprise is spoiler[Incognito being Claire's bodyguard. I was actually expecting him to be a secret adoptive relative or related to what's-his-face who started the coup. Actually, I don't really know what I was expecting. Just not a bodyguard.]

So kudos to them. I also got a good laugh out of the spoiler[rockets punching through the decoy ships and exploding] on the other side.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Kal-el: "spoiler[Lets all get back here safely.]"
Stop spoiler[raising death flags]!

And spoiler[Mitty]. I want to punch the jackass commander, it was kind of ignorant to not see the obvious trick, and he clearly does not spoiler[care about their lives].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 7

Kal-el: "spoiler[Lets all get back here safely.]"
Stop spoiler[raising death flags]!

Not to mention
Chiharu: "spoiler[But will we really be alright..." Lazy man's foreshadowing, I guess. :/]

Later spoiler[I thought she was going to die a gruesome death when he nearly pushed her into the prop blades!]
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
spoiler[But I was actually expecting both of them to die. ]

That wasn't surprising at all. spoiler[You can't have both parts of a happy couple die after all, one of them must survive and be unhappy forever~. Otherwiese it wouldn't be tragic enough...]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Later spoiler[I thought she was going to die a gruesome death when he nearly pushed her into the prop blades!]

Yeah. I was pretty concerned spoiler[for her] at that moment. ^^;
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Poor guy spoiler[got don't die!-ed.] This show seems to be determined to use spoiler[every death flag chiché available.] I bet next week somebody will talk about spoiler[what they gonna do after "this is all over"... Rolling Eyes]

In other news, judging from the preview spoiler[Kal will finally discover Claire's secret identity.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Wow, that was sad. I knew there would be spoiler[deaths but didn't count Wolf and even Fausto to be one of them. That's a bit....wow. I was actually expecting an episode where he and Karl would get along better since I do consider Fausto to be one of the more prominent supporting characters.]

Anyways, I'm glad that spoiler[Airi survived that attack. It was a cute moment too! Ignaco was pretty awesome too with his gun when he fought in the forest.]

I think one of the most important of the episode involved that spoiler[mysterious blue jet fighter. Could it possibly be the same pilot from the movie Question]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Those must be spoiler[some ammunition those rifles are using if they're taking out planes in just a few shots. Well, that and the fact that the enemy pilots seem so to be pretty lousy shots!]

I was expecting spoiler[some deaths, but not as many as we had in this episode. While a lot of unrealistic things happened this episode, it at least didn't reply on plot armor to keep a lot of characters alive.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

And then a spoiler[huge amount of characters died], really only lucky that spoiler[so few of the lower society people died as I think pretty much the entire upper society trainees were taken out]. Including the spoiler[guy who had been a jerk and we were expecting to see them make up].

Just looking at their planes as being scrap things that required a rifle on top spoiler[compared to what the enemy were using looked like an obvious defeat]. Although for some reason their spoiler[personal rifles are strong enough to take out enemy fighters pretty easily].

I was thinking that the ones that attacked had a kind of German look to them.
Helociraptor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I was thinking that the ones that attacked had a kind of German look to them.

Indeed. The divebombers in the very beginning looked like Ju 87. The attacking single-engine fighters seem to be fantasy-planes, but have a strong resemblance to Bf 109E1 (E1 variant has 4x MG17 7.92mm machineguns, two in the cowling and one in each wing, which seems to correspond to the armament of the attackers in the episode).

Also, the markings of the attackers (blue roundel with white saltire) look a lot like Nationalist Spain/Condor Legion markings during the Spanish Civil War (black roundel/white saltire).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
This continues to be a very mixed bag. In one sense the action scenes were quite well done. Very sleek and exciting. And yet at the same time I had trouble getting past how dumb it was that the good guys are basically just sitting there, totally still, as the enemies take repeated runs at them and open up with their machine guns. And yet somehow, they actually come out ahead on average just by taking pot shots at them with non-automatic, handheld rifles. And the drama was very mixed too. The spoiler[death of Wolf] was so obviously foreshadowed. The scene between Kal and Ari was good, although they kinda ruined it by having her spoiler[suddenly snap back up and bullseye an enemy plane]. That felt like something out of a B grade 80s action flick. And Claire...god. I know these people struggled with noodles so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. But how bloody hard is it to start a car? I don't know, I'm glad this show has decided to do something finally, as opposed to the whole lot of nothing it had been doing recently before this little arc. But it's really all over the place.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Lol that was a joke. Hovercrafts with rifles taking down superior planes with machine guns. Why didn't the enemy attack them from the bottom when they were all foolishly grouped up in a circle?

I seen some people mentioning that the blue plane spoiler[is the same one from the movie. Probably not the same character since I think the movie is set in the future.]

I think the best part of this episode was the sibling interaction in end. See Japan non-incestuous relationships can look good for the viewers too.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episode #7:

Those petty stupid "No one will die, right?" talks by redhead and bubbling by pair of the reconnaissance plane are ridiculous. No one in real behaves this way, if you check memoires of people who were in combats and witnessed heroism. People do not waste critical time of petty jabber, risking lives of their comrades, they just do whatever is necessary.

So this drama that authors embellished is repulsively artificial and fake, it is insult to viewers, and it shows that the class of this project is lower than it could have been if the storytelling avoided such cheap tricks to pull emotions from viewers.

spoiler[Besides, if the rescue way was to jump off from the plane, then both from the pair should have used parachute much earlier, and not wait until one of them will be have wounded by gun fire just to "heroically" die few seconds later. In real combat, this is exactly what has happened; all pilots catapulted/jumped off, and that is it. Of course, there was always chance that you would be fire at while jumping, but it is much better than guaranteed death when you are single plane against several attacking pursuers.

Plus, how the girl has believed that the guy is going to jump off, too, if by instructions and just common sense the guy/gunman has to jump off first, and the pilot has to jump off immediately after? There was no sense in moving from one cabin to another for the guy.]

Thus here we go with ignorant stupidity of the scenario again.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
right, I'm sure every single person in history who has ever been to war has never been terrified and hasn't made some sort of wish that everything will be ok.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12