• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime Gets Sloppy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Galap wrote:

The thing that kind of surprises me is how so few anime fans are really animation fans. I see so many people only really thinking about animation in terms of some kind of 'objective quality' (and arriving at irritating-as-hell descriptors such as "QUALITY"), on a sliding scale from good to bad, where they really only seem to like things that look 'neat' and 'consistent', rather than really giving the visual art much thought.

In my head those responses always play out like this:

"absolutely perfect this is how a painting is *supposed* to look"

"LOL 'QUALITY' "

"LOL GARBAGE LOOK HOW BAD THE PAINTING IS"

I'm not saying animation mistakes are just different 'kinds' of animation and should be appreciated but when it comes down to actually talking about visual art and aesthetic style in anime the above basically represents 99% of the attitude I see from a whoooooole lot of fans.

That's basically what I was saying when I was criticizing Theron Martin's reviews, and you said I was just refusing to accept that he has a different opinion:

And you've also called people out on simply being 'wrong' in the past (like when someone said old Disney films look 'dated')
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
The thing that kind of surprises me is how so few anime fans are really animation fans.

Why is it weird that fewer people than you thought are animation fans? The animation process is tricky, complicated, tedious, and often classed as behind-the-scenes wizardry that most audiences don't want or need to know about. It is no different than film-goers knowing little if anything about a live-action movie is made; they appreciate great cinematography without knowing anything of how that effect was achieved or what sort of effort would have gone into to making it.

Galap wrote:
I see so many people only really thinking about animation in terms of some kind of 'objective quality' (and arriving at irritating-as-hell descriptors such as "QUALITY"), on a sliding scale from good to bad...

You can't honestly tell me that Gundoh Musashi's infamous animation is not of poor quality, or that PMMM's trippy Witch sequences aren't breathtaking in their design.

Galap wrote:
...where they really only seem to like things that look 'neat' and 'consistent', rather than really giving the visual art much thought.

Wrong. Given your quotes and choice of words this is obviously aimed at me and you're wrong wrong wrong. I already stated that I liked Windy Tales' style, and there is no way that it could ever be called "neat". The Tatami Galaxy has quite stylised characters that look weird but at the same time are really interesting. I also liked Wandering Son's propensity to dispense with backgrounds and have very softly-drawn characters. Bunny Drop also has a flat watercolour look that many strongly dislike (including Theron and Carl) but that I love.

I already stated to uguu that while I do want consistency, I also love seeing different styles and methods. I just want the differences to be from show to show instead of episode to episode (unless it is a comedy show purposefully doing that like FLCL).

Galap wrote:
I don't think a lot of fans have a good visual vocabulary, and don't really like to think much about the visuals, which is weird to me because I'd think that a medium that is visual art would draw people that like to think about visuals in a serious way.

Most fans love to talk about the visuals and animation - just look at what happened with Flowers of Evil, or Seitokai Yakuindomo* - but they just aren't experts at it. Ask a thousand fans what an inbetween frame is and many would have no clue at all.

Anime may indeed draw those who like visuals, perhaps even lots of them. But remember, anime is a medium, attracting many people from different ages and backgrounds, so as a percentage of the overall population there is even more people who don't .
uguu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I already stated to uguu that while I do want consistency, I also love seeing different styles and methods. I just want the differences to be from show to show instead of episode to episode (unless it is a comedy show purposefully doing that like FLCL).

So style shifts only work if it's a comedy? I dunno how that works. You can use the emotional reaction created from art shifts to create laughter, but not any other emotion? I think that's a close-minded way of viewing things.

FLCL isn't even as purely "comedic" as people say. I rewatched episode 1 recently and the melancholic teenage angst scenes actually outweighed the comedy. There was drama and seriousness in FLCL, along with understated slice-of-life scenes with hazily-drawn backgrounds.

And it's not like the aforementioned SOL scenes were never drawn 'weirdly' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3v2Z7nlk7s
Quote:
Anime may indeed draw those who like visuals, perhaps even lots of them. But remember, anime is a medium, attracting many people from different ages and backgrounds, so as a percentage of the overall population there is even more people who don't .

There's absolutely no way the people who don't care about visuals outweigh those who do. The artwork is one of the things that instantly reels people in. As for the main audience that watches anime in Japan, children? Kids are very visually-driven.
Quote:
Why is it weird that fewer people than you thought are animation fans? The animation process is tricky, complicated, tedious, and often classed as behind-the-scenes wizardry that most audiences don't want or need to know about. It is no different than film-goers knowing little if anything about a live-action movie is made; they appreciate great cinematography without knowing anything of how that effect was achieved or what sort of effort would have gone into to making it.

"Animation fan" doesn't mean necessarily knowing the technical aspects. Just CARING ABOUT ANIMATION AS A MEDIUM.

When you say "I take it you don't watch much old anime" to make your point about scripts being the most important part, you do come across as the anime fan equivalent of a film viewer who doesn't care about cinematography. Because there's loads of old anime that looks fantastic.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

To be fair, there are many people (myself included) who fully appreciate what's going on in your second example, but feel that this one is in fact an example of garbage, at least in the finished form presented there. (Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so either. Razz) There comes a point where one needs to be able to call a spade a spade, and recognize that sometimes, something really is just QUALITY.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Zac wrote:

To be fair, there are many people (myself included) who fully appreciate what's going on in your second example, but feel that this one is in fact an example of garbage, at least in the finished form presented there. (Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so either. Razz) There comes a point where one needs to be able to call a spade a spade, and recognize that sometimes, something really is just QUALITY.

"I don't like Jackson Pollock and these other people don't so this is a bad example of something that objectively sucks"

Great argument. Really sound logic.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
My thought on this is that while I very rarely have stopped watching a show because I thought the animation wasn't very good, I have frequently stopped watching a show because the story or characters were terrible and/or pissed me off.

Similarly, I'm not going to watch a show just because its amazingly animated, if I hate the story.

This is a difference in priorities. Animation matters, but so does story, and so does characters. The amount of weight each aspect is given will vary from person to person.

Also FYI picking out tween frames from well or even just averagely animated sequences and calling them "QUALITY" is really obnoxious. The stuff you should be looking at are things like the Samumenco screens Mike posted, or stuff from Wake Up, Girls. Scenes that aren't animated AND look terrible.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I can't imagine anyone looking at those scenes Kameda did for the Herschel fight scene or the Wolf Chimera fight scene and come to the conclusion that the movie was somehow rushed or that it looked bad. I mean the only excuse is to flat out admit that you were not paying attention to the movie so you didn't understand what the animators were actually accomplishing.

I am looking at just the way the wolf Chimera moves in this movie and the speed and grace is simply amazing.

A big part of the problem is that people have been conditioned to think 'loose' or 'off-model' is bad. It's not. The character model is a tool, the intentions of the staff for each specific cut is what is important. Kameda's work here is especially strong. He does a better job of telling a story then the actual dialogue of the film does. An actor or use of music in film will often tell you more about the character and story then dialogue will. Great animators like Kameda do just that with their own slice of the artistic spectrum.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
So the way Naruto Shippuden episode 167 was animated was intentional? Interesting...

Even 3-4 years later and after reading this article I'm still not a fan of how that one was animated, most notably the Pain sequence mentioned in the article which can be seen in full below.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/116/992/Naruto-quality-3.gif

Call me shallow, but one of my biggest problems with that specific sequence is it's too off-model for my liking.

Those three seconds is the only cut in the entire episode that looks that way. It's a part of a six and a half minute segment drawn entirely by Yamashita Shingo using flash (he even did the in-between animation for a total of 5,500 or so drawings, more the most TV episodes use across an entire twenty minutes). Yamashita animated his segment in two or three different styles. Think about the combination of the animation, dialogue, and performance. "My pain is greater than yours!" Pain is expressing disgust with Naruto's reaction because he believes Naruto is being naïve for attacking him in rage.

Quote:
One instance of QUALITY I'd like to mention is the entire second half of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple episode 38. The first half of the episode looked fine, but then come the second half you had stuff like this.
http://i.imgur.com/Ps33ntS.png
http://i.imgur.com/vTbA0SC.png
http://i.imgur.com/3VBhCxk.png

Another which has been pointed out is Birdy the Mighty: Decode. One that's really interesting is near the end of season 2 during the fight between spoiler[Birdy and Nataru]. However I'm now thinking that one might have been intentional.

It was. Series Director Akane Kazuki spoke about the episode here.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But I rarely see people ever talk specifically about the visual aspects of the animation. I almost never see comments like, for a made-up example: "The box slides at the camera, and you can see the amount of mass in it by the way the character pushing it moves their legs. Their whole body gives effort and it makes you able to feel the effort they are exerting. When the box gets really close I think the shot composition of it taking up a full half of the screen with another box in the distance between the character's legs is really cool."

You don't really need to know about the production methods to be able to talk about things that way (though it definitely does give a heightened appreciation)

Quote:

You can't honestly tell me that Gundoh Musashi's infamous animation is not of poor quality, or that PMMM's trippy Witch sequences aren't breathtaking in their design.

Sure. I agree that Gundoh Musashi looks bad and the witch sequences look great, but I don't always agree with everyone on those points, and even when I do, I don't just stop and say "this looks good" or "this looks bad." That's not interesting. What's interesting is talking about the material, and why and how it makes the impressions it does on you, rather than just saying that you liked it or didn't..

Quote:

Wrong. Given your quotes and choice of words this is obviously aimed at me

No, it wasn't aimed at you and I didn't intend to give that impression.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"I don't like Jackson Pollock and these other people don't so this is a bad example of something that objectively sucks"

Great argument. Really sound logic.

...except that wasn't my argument at all. You were the one who forwarded the analogy of those particular styles of art, which I honestly agree with to some extent: certainly the works of Masaki Yuasa are far more akin to impressionistic paintings in terms of animation style than, say, Kyoto Animation's offerings. But I think if you run that analogy to the extreme case, such as with the Pollock example, that's where you run into problems. There comes a point where your "experimental" animation style becomes so janky and distorted that it becomes nothing short of a distraction to the overall intent, and indeed can become indistinguishable from the work of some low-budget hack studio. (I think the neck-twisting Sasuke scene posted earlier is a great example of this: even in motion, my visceral reaction to it was, "Man that's just not right.") Context is also a big part of it, which is why I don't think FLCL holds up as a counter-example: from the very beginning, that show was intended to be Gainax going crazy with a 26-episode budget crammed into a short OVA, and the off-the-wall variations in style are very much part of that. Counter that with a long-running shounen like Naruto, or even a fairly-consistent shorter series like Gurren-Lagann, that suddenly exhibits some wildly-divergent techniques in a single episode or two over its run, and the effect can be extremely jarring, even negatively so.

I guess my bottom line here is that a big part of the appeal (or lack thereof) of more stylistic animation comes from when it's being used, and that there are times when the result is just...bad. After all, I don't think any studio out there would want their work to be equated with the lovely Gundoh Musashi, even if there was decent money and talent behind it.

(As far as the Pollock thing goes, my understanding is that most of his acclaim in the art world comes from the process he employed while looking at art, instead of what the finished product looked like necessarily. For me personally, that might make him worth studying as a performance artist, but I don't feel like his finished works have much inherent value in and of themselves: the reason that so many people joke "a monkey with a paintbrush could make this" is that, in a certain sense, it's absolutely correct. I'll leave things at that though, because it'd be waaaaaaay off-topic for what's going on here.)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Great article. I find these type of images amusing, regardless of whether they are intentional or not. I still can't figure out if the faces in Higurashi are supposed to look the way they do. Also reminds me of episode 9 of Vividred Operation with images like these:
http://puu.sh/2enCK
http://puu.sh/2en8c
http://puu.sh/2enzS
Himawari looks pretty bad. I don't usually notice mistakes in anime the first time I watch them, but for some reason I noticed them all in this episode. I sure hope this isn't intentional, and that Aniplex fixed them on their home video release.
Roukanken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so either. Razz)

Thanks for the link, mate. This is awesome.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes had a ton of off-model issues in the first two seasons, which is why they did a crap-ton of cleanup and reanimation for the DVD releases. It's nice to have more consistent animation, though I'm not as much a fan of the later animation faces - too strong chins on a lot of characters. You could tell they were operating under a really tight budget on the original, but it does give the animation a certain character. Also, unlike a lot of newer shows where the cleanup between broadcast and DVD is a matter of months, the time between original first season release and DVD release was over a decade I believe. Having watched the originals over and over, there's little bit of a feeling of wrongness when I see the new animation.

Here's a derpy Yang cel from an early season. Laughing

http://www.jcaliff.net/cels/logh/yng10cel.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd prefer to just take the original animation, crappy art and all. That way, a proper HD transfer could be made instead of that upscale.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime sucks, just read manga instead, art is usually less crappy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Anime sucks, just read manga instead, art is usually less crappy.

Why, thank you for that absolutely life-changing piece of advice. Because of your superb insight I have seen the light, and I now realise that I've wasted the past nine years of my life being a fan of a crappy medium. I will now meditate under a waterfall deep in the mountains and reflect further on how anime sucks and is no good for anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9