• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Erica Mendez, Carrie Keranen Star in Kill la Kill's English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Actar wrote:
Putting aside all the complaining, as a matter of curiosity, how did this different pricing model even come about in the first place? Why are American releases so cheap to begin with?

Very good question. I think it has to do with consumers being spoiled by the unsustainable pricing of the "bubble burst". Aniplex is reverting back to a proven profit turning method and people are just not having it.

Um...the domestic distributors moved to the cheaper half-season/season release model primarily AFTER the bubble burst. In the mid-2000s, the standard release model was 4 or 5-episode singles with an MSRP around $30, with the option of an artbox at a higher cost. (Note that these prices were still cheaper than Aniplex's current offerings.) More affordable thinpacks, like Bandai's venerable Anime Legends line, were only released a couple of years after those initial singles, if at all; Geneon never really adopted a similar model themselves. It's only within the past five or six years, during or after the semi-collapse of the domestic industry, that companies like FUNimation began adopting the current half-season set model. And given that the companies that did so are the ones currently surviving to this day, I'll leave it to you to determine whether or not that model is profitable.

Look, at the end of the day, if Aniplex wants to release crazy-overpriced sets up front for the "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW!" crowd, I don't have any fundamental problem with it: that attitude's just not me anyway, and it never will be. But there's absolutely nothing preventing them from releasing more affordable full-series sets a few years down the line, like every other domestic distributor does, to capture that "long tail" of sales from more bargain-conscious shoppers. But they flat-out don't: it's the overpriced initial sets, or nothing at all. And that's what makes me so upset with them.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Another series that I liked and wouldn't mind owning, but won't -- not at that price. And considering PMMM's pricing hasn't budged since it was released, it looks like I'll never own it.

Which version of PMMM are you talking about the standard Blu Ray edition of the Limited Edition version? Because here in the good old UK you can get the complete series on Blu Ray for £23 plus, free shipping.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Actar wrote:
Putting aside all the complaining, as a matter of curiosity, how did this different pricing model even come about in the first place? Why are American releases so cheap to begin with?

Very good question. I think it has to do with consumers being spoiled by the unsustainable pricing of the "bubble burst". Aniplex is reverting back to a proven profit turning method and people are just not having it.

People are having it to a good extent, otherwise Aniplex wouldn't keep pricing it this way.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Which version of PMMM are you talking about the standard Blu Ray edition of the Limited Edition version? Because here in the good old UK you can get the complete series on Blu Ray for £23 plus, free shipping.

The UK version has always been vastly cheaper than the AoA release. If I had a region-free BD player, I'd already have bought PMMM from the UK and had it shipped here. But, I'm talking about the AoA BD release, which hasn't dropped in price since it came out... making the point that AoA never drops its prices, nor do they come out with a cheaper release. It's annoying.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Thu May 29, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It's fine to be upset but thank you for understanding that people do want a method like this. Their limited edition sets are in line price wise with the limited editors of past years (Bandai Ent's Lucky Star LEs for example) listen to the old ANN Cast with Jerry Chu. Releasing anime series in three or more parts is the way that they made profit. He even said that he doesn't get how the others stay afloat charging the prices they do and we will honestly never know. The companies aren't publicly traded so its all a mystery.

edit: @scriver yes the fans are buying them up that is true but it angers the rest. No one likes the feeling of being "priced out" of a medium they are enthusiasts of. Even if they had no intent on buying it its still angering.

Last edited by luffypirate on Thu May 29, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

The UK version has always been vastly cheaper than the AoA release. If I had a region-free BD player, I'd already have bought PMMM from the UK and had it shipped here. But, I'm talking about the AoA BD release, which hasn't dropped in price since it came out... making the point that AoA never drops its prices, nor do they come out with a cheaper release. It's annoying.

Don't PlayStation 3's have a region free BD player built in by default? I'm sure you could play the UK version of PMMM on that Wink

Probably the main reason that top qaulity anime is cheap as chips here in the UK is because licencors and retailers know that charging outrageous price for them would be stupid knowing the anime market is so small.

Another example, Attack On Titan Collectors Edition:
USA - $97
UK - £30 (Although we get it a few months later but still)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't PlayStation 3's have a region free BD player built in by default? I'm sure you could play the UK version of PMMM on that Wink

Probably the main reason that top qaulity anime is cheap as chips here in the UK is because licencors and retailers know that charging outrageous price for them would be stupid knowing the anime market is so small.

Another example, Attack On Titan Collectors Edition:
USA - $97
UK - £30 (Although we get it a few months later but still)

I'm pretty sure PS3's BD player is region-matched to where it is being sold.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
As popular as Kill la Kill is, it was a pretty done deal that it would be overpriced by Aniplex, and subdivided like SAO and Madoka Magica.

Since I really love the series, it is nice that the pain is spread out, but not so nice that I have to wait several months to complete the set, but also imagining how much space five LE's are going to take up.

Whether you like the term or not, 'Hard Core' fans will pay Aniplex's exorbitant prices. The danger is too great that there won't be another lower priced release.

I didn't want to pay Aniplex's prices for Madoka Magica's LE's. But I did, because I 'needed' them. Say what you will about that, but it is the truth as I saw it at the time. Now we will have to double dip for the dubbed movies, which appear to be in the same packaging as the original LE's, nothing new but the dubbing.

I have no problem with people complaining in every single thread that relates to Aniplex's products, because it is a very real problem for the consumers. But nor do I have a problem with people paying those prices, because I have done so and I understand the driving need.

Boycotts are not going to work for two reasons. Hard core fans will never go along with it, and Aniplex simply does not care. Aniplex is happy to 'milk' the hard core fans of their life blood, over and over until they are dried out husks. and if it ceases to be profitable, they simply won't do any business over here as has been said before in this thread.

I have no illusions that complaining in this thread or others, will effect any change. It won't. But if you really want a chance to effect change, then you have to hit Aniplex where it is personal. That is, at the conventions. Here on the forums and the internet, you are just a faceless minion, but at a convention, you are a real person, with a real face staring them in the eyes.

At a convention, they will have a real up close gauge on how the public really feels about them, one they cannot dispute and one that is personal. If Aniplex leaves each individual convention feeling that their pricing model is at the forefront of discussion, instead of how nice their shows are, perhaps they will change.

Don't see much hope of this, because I don't see anime fans as a hotbed of protest action. Fans would need to complain about pricing, and hold them accountable for their answers (lies). You'll probably get one fan, maybe, that will broach the subject. That fan probably won't get any freebie either.

Sadly, I will probably get the Kill la Kill LE's, crying all the way.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Aniplex put the official English dub trailer on youtube guys if you're interested!

Like I said on the video already those voices fit wonderfully actually, but the acting (particularly Ryuuko's) isn't too moving in the trailer, but I'll save my judgement for when it's released. I love how Mendez's voice fits her though! Keranen's isn't strong enough for her character, but it's almost there. I bet she'd get there in time. And Seitz was so obvious to be Gamagoori I wasn't even surprised Anime hyper

I won't be buying this series though especially in this format. I'm not a huge fan of KLK in the first place so releasing it in 5 sets was a definite no for me. They should have at least gave a boxset option then maybe I'd think about it Confused

Yeah, I really like the voice choices, they're so much better fits than I expected actually the only one that seemed like I'm unsure of is perhaps Senketsu. I think Ryuuko's fits really well too (her roar during that first Senketsu powerup in the basement in the trailer was really pretty good) so I think she'll grow into it and I agree Satsuki's is "almost" there in the speech so hopefully her later ones will be even better. The others sounded quite well picked too.

Can already tell as usual Patrick Seitz is going to have so much fun lol.

v1cious wrote:
I'll give them one thing: Nonon's voice is actually BETTER in the dub. Other than that... Eh, have to wait and see more.

This. Wow that was perfect, she even replicated the same sound to her voice really well which I did not expect even to be tried let alone done so well.

insert name here wrote:
I gotta say that this sounds way better than I expected it to. I didn't think this would translate very well into English given the way that it was written, but it seems to match up pretty well.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to re-watching.

I agree it's just so bizarre they couldn't post this trailer in HD and ridiculous if they can't include HD-lossless (would even like surround) audio for the English dub on a Blu-ray with plenty of data space at these prices.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hard core fans will never go along with it, and Aniplex simply does not care. Aniplex is happy to 'milk' the hard core fans of their life blood, over and over until they are dried out husks.

I love how the anti-AOA crowd implies that hardcore fans who buy the releases and have the audacity to disagree with their logic (entitlement) are "dumb, hypnotized sheeple" that desperately need to "wake up and see the error of their behavior".

Talk about being totally full of it......
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The cast seems good, except for Erica. I hated her in Magi, and I dislike her here too. The elite four are spot on. But the audio in the scripting seems very subtitle sounding. At least Sentai does a good job on that with there dubs with them sounding great while being natural, unlike this. And Senketsu's voice is not what I had envision.

But I will still buy those great lookin LE's. And I will give the dub a chance.
TG72

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DangerMouse"]
KENZICHI wrote:
Aniplex put the official English dub trailer on youtube guys if you're interested!

v1cious wrote:
I'll give them one thing: Nonon's voice is actually BETTER in the dub. Other than that... Eh, have to wait and see more.

This. Wow that was perfect, she even replicated the same sound to her voice really well which I did not expect even to be tried let alone done so well.

Color me impressed, too. Nice casting there, Bang Zoom!

I don't think anyone but Seitz could've dubbed Gamagori.

Most interested in who'll play Nui; guessing Stephanie Sheh
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
lad I live in Ireland and don't have to put up with Aniplexs pricing, all the same if I was in the US I would just watch Kill La Kill on Netflix seeing as it went up on the US version last week subbed, and I am sure the dubbed version will be put up at a later date.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
I love how the anti-AOA crowd implies that hardcore fans who buy the releases and have the audacity to disagree with their logic (entitlement) are "dumb, hypnotized sheeple" that desperately need to "wake up and see the error of their behavior".

Talk about being totally full of it......

He never called anyone "dumb, hypnotized sheeple", so now who is doing the implying here?

It's obvious that AoA is setting the price points they are because they know they'll make a profit in doing so. That is their only concern: maximizing profit for themselves. Since their current pricing strategy is working for them, I assume they'll keep it. And if you're fine with paying that much, then you'll keep on doing so. And if others are *not* okay with paying that much, they'll continue not buying AoA's products.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The trailer was... iffy.

Mako, Nonon, and Mikisugi all sound good. Everybody else is full of NOPE, especially Satsuki and Sekentsu.

Also, yikes, those prices.

Hey, to be fair most of these actors are just starting out at BZ. Everybody has to start somewhere. Remember VA veterans such as Crispin Freeman, Yuri Lowenthall, and Michelle Ruff (known to BZ) weren't greats in the beginning. IMO, I think these new voice actors are doing a fine job. Erika Mendez I happen to know IRL and she has a god-like range. Same with Christine Marie, who unfortunately is type-cast in the same kind of role(s). That's the director's fault, not the actor's.

Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Nice to see them recycling the same voice actors.

And not to play the devil's advocate, but people constantly complain about how the same actors are recycled over and over...so shouldn't it be a good thing to see some new talent?

Despite the price-tags, super excited for the physical release of Kill la Kill!

that is the one thing i am not too fond of. sure i am grateful the series will get a dub version, but that price is definitely leaving something to be desired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10