• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
SweetCoconut, you can go on spelling the names how you like (for what it's worth, I agree and am doing the same), but if others prefer to use the official Funi/CR spellings, they're not wrong unless the mangaka comes along and says so. I think the intent is to make the names more Korean-sounding, but I don't know enough about the language to say how that works or if they've done it correctly (I was already confused about Korean romanization and pronunciation before this series). It's not really worth getting mad at other fans over though...

(still, Funi's script is clearly not flawless, since it refers to squirrel-Ao as "him" even though Kusanagi-sensei has stated she's a girl. like, duh guys. why aren't you stalking her twitter/manga sidebars for these random tidbits of information??? :) )
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
SweetCoconut wrote:
For the nth, its "Zeno" not "Jeno". "Ki-ja" not "Gija". Its pissing me off not only because I'm a manga reader but because I can hear the name properly but the subs. I don't know whats wrong.

Hahahaha I bet you had my face when they introduced Zeno:
Look it's Zeno!! Very Happy Wait they just called him..... "Jeno"? Confused Oh well I'm going to keep writing Zeno Rolling Eyes

I mostly don't like how they can't make up their mind on Soo-won, Su-won, Suu-won, and So-won. This week he was "Su-won" even though when you look him up on google he's Soo-won according to all the summaries
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
SweetCoconut wrote:
For the nth, its "Zeno" not "Jeno". "Ki-ja" not "Gija". Its pissing me off not only because I'm a manga reader but because I can hear the name properly but the subs. I don't know whats wrong.
that's actually a bit debatable. Kouka is based on Korea (yes, the mangaka confirmed that, the two neighboring countries are also confirmed to be based on China and Japan) and so many of the names are based on Korean names. if you plug in the kana used to spell Zeno into Google Translate and set it to translate to Korean you get the Korean characters that romanize into Jeno. when you do the same to the kana used to spell Kija it turns into the Korean characters that romanize to Gija.

you have to remember the English scanlations aren't official and the translators have to go with their best guess as to how to romanize names, they can't get any input from the mangaka on how to romanize the names unless the mangaka makes a public statement in a character guide or something. meanwhile official translations DO have a chance to ger the creator's input on how the names are intended to be romanized and sometimes the creator will actually say themselves that THIS is how they want a name romanized.

as to how it sounds compared to how it's romanized, well, the names aren't meant to be Japanese, they're names meant to fit in a Korean based fantasy setting, and sometimes it's hard for people who speak one language to properly pronounce names commonly used by those who speak other languages. and then think about how silly it would be if you applied the logic "it sounds like this so it should be spelled like it sounds" to every anime and how awkward it would be then to spell, say, Edward Elric's name based of the Japanese pronunciation of it.
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm only up to Episode 15 or so, but I've been loving the hell out of the series. Have we heard any word about when the show will be released on DVD/Blu? This is the first 'watch as its being released' show I've been up with, so I don't know what sort of lag time we usually get with these things.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
@Desslok

Currently 15 months seems to be a minimum. Longer if there are complications, sometimes a lot longer. Funimation seldom explains the reason for delays.
SweetCoconut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys for the clarification. Though I am still annoyed by the thought of the spellings *sighs*
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation, Weazul-chan. Before your explanation I assumed that was the reason for the names, and I have since started using them. Funi would have had to get approval from the committee and if these were the name spellings they approved, then I'm assuming there's a good reason. I prefer the accuracy based upon the setting and intention even if it does sound off a little in the Japanese due to the pronunciation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
As to the name 'Kija/Gija', as I have said in another thread, probably it is related to whether you transliterate a Korean letter in the McCune–Reischauer system or the Ministry of Culture 2000 system.

zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
This thing with the spellings of the names reminds me of the Spice and Wolf "Horo" vs. "Holo" thing. It is amazing how many people continue to use Horo, even though she signs her name as Holo in the 2nd season of the anime. (In the original Japanese version, mind you.)

In this case, I usually fall on the side of the official translation that has access to the creator and his or her agents when working on the project. There is a much higher probability that they have it the way the creator intended.

In any event, I was a bit late to the party on Yona, but I am so glad I picked it up and started watching it. I am sad that it is over and hope there will be more at some point in the future.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, one last thing I have to say in defense of my name spelling choices (I'm sorry to have become one of Those People; in my defense I too usually do follow the official word in these cases...).

I understand there's a difference in consonant pronunciation between Japanese and Korean, but the -ea spellings are just wrong, right?? Jea-ha, Geun-tea (with a tacky unintentional pun to boot on that one...), Tea-yeon, Heang-dea (ugh that one ugh ugh ugh) etc. There is no "ea" vowel in either Korean romanization system, as far as I can determine (while "ae" seems pretty common), and "ea" in English pronunciation suggests a more "eee" sound than the "ay/eh" JP pronunciation. So I do get upset every time I see that show up. Grrrr~~~
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

I understand there's a difference in consonant pronunciation between Japanese and Korean, but the -ea spellings are just wrong, right?? Jea-ha, Geun-tea (with a tacky unintentional pun to boot on that one...), Tea-yeon, Heang-dea (ugh that one ugh ugh ugh) etc. There is no "ea" vowel in either Korean romanization system, as far as I can determine (while "ae" seems pretty common), and "ea" in English pronunciation suggests a more "eee" sound than the "ay/eh" JP pronunciation. So I do get upset every time I see that show up. Grrrr~~~

I agreed with you, that's also going to be an issue if MBC (or any Korean network) were to adapt this show into a K-drama. How the name will be called you'll have to leave that to the Korean since the character's name are Koreans if ever in the future this was to be adapted into a live-action K-drama. So it looks like the name could be "tweak" to fit correct standard Korean letter and pronunciation if that was to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8