• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria the Virgin Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, this episode made it very clear that the organised religion being portrayed is spoiler[close if not the same as the real world Roman Catholic Church. ]

Bernard's intentions are also much clearer now, spoiler[typical behaviour and motivations of a noble with religious credentials but paying close attention to the secular card and with a holier-than-thou attitude towards the supernatural and heretics. Interesting...reaction to hearing Galfa's confession. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a spoiler[good opportunity to see Maria's true potentials. Hopefully she can get the job done although stopping a war will be quite a difficult task with someone her skill.]

We'll see though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting some creepy vibes from Galfa this episode. And Bernard's just gone completely round the bend now.

So I appreciated the hilarious demonstration of how closely in tune with Maria her familiars are. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm getting some creepy vibes from Galfa this episode. And Bernard's just gone completely round the bend now.

And at the same time Ezekiel seems to have developed some sympathy or perhaps empathy with Maria. I wonder how she is supposed to carry out Michael's instructions. She can't even stand up to Maria's familiars.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Well... so far nothing special.
The middle ages setting is something slightly different.
Going to war by force was not fun at all.
The battlefield part was interesting though.
Having mixed feelings about this anime..
Gonna give it a few more episodes before I decide.

same here.

I didn't know what i got myself into. a bunch of religion crap (heretics fighting each other) + a virgin witch + angels + other crapsspoiler[ (2nd succubus)

there are MALE succubus?]

Not my type of series.

I saw 3 episodes and it's a dropped series for me
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
there are MALE succubus?

Well if you want to use the plural for "succubus" it is "succubi", and the male version is called an incubus. Sorry, I spent a few years of my high school lunch hours going over books about these sort of things.

Interesting trivia, the often cases of succubi and incubi seemed to be linked to sleep paralysis, where one wakes up suddenly but their body does not move, and many people recall experiencing what feels like a weight on their chest, which is where imagery like this come from. Apparently common from sleep paralysis to have almost dream like hallucinations, and rather than being a sex demon like the past, in the modern era it seems to have become the reported cases of alien abductions.

As a teenager I was fascinated with that stuff, but enough of being a nerd, onto Episode 6.

I was getting worried that some spoiler[questionable people are considering to rape Maria], although considering that Maria was spoiler[not even in the preview, I think she might just end up in heaven]. Nott in the good way, and I guess not quite the bad way either.

Ezekiel is really shaping up as an interesting character. She seems to be stuck between such thoughts of what she believes, what her duty is, what makes people happy, what is right, and that she actually likes Maria.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
there are MALE succubus?

Well if you want to use the plural for "succubus" it is "succubi", and the male version is called an incubus. Sorry, I spent a few years of my high school lunch hours going over books about these sort of things.

Interesting trivia, the often cases of succubi and incubi seemed to be linked to sleep paralysis, where one wakes up suddenly but their body does not move, and many people recall experiencing what feels like a weight on their chest, which is where imagery like this come from. Apparently common from sleep paralysis to have almost dream like hallucinations, and rather than being a sex demon like the past, in the modern era it seems to have become the reported cases of alien abductions.

As a teenager I was fascinated with that stuff, but enough of being a nerd, onto Episode 6.

I was getting worried that some spoiler[questionable people are considering to rape Maria], although considering that Maria was spoiler[not even in the preview, I think she might just end up in heaven]. Nott in the good way, and I guess not quite the bad way either.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Incubus-- added to personal dictionary. Smile

I checked Google, if it's Succubus then there are plenty of pictures but if it's incubus-- just a lot of pictures of a band. :/

Anyway, Maria The virgin Witch is not my type of series. I don't mind lolita or shota characters-- but adding in sexual suggestive theme in it as well--- will be a dropped series for me.

btw, Junketsu--purity

isn't it the main character's older sister's Kamui in Kill la Kill?
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
There may have been a discussion about this that got burned in the Great Fire last weekend, but in episode 5, that Japanese song felt really out of place, since there were these French soldiers singing while drinking, but the words were Japanese, as was the melodic progression. Nice song, but yeah it made me laugh.

It's one thing to have the show in Japanese since it's just being made so that viewers in the country it's made can understand it, but I think we're supposed to assume that these people are actually speaking French, so when we get them singing a song that has a very traditional Japanese melody, it's pretty weird.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Good episode overall and I'm glad to see spoiler[Maria and Ezekiel make up. I have to say though...she needs serious help to control the war as this episode proved that it's a lot harder said than done.]

I wonder if spoiler[Michael still plan on going after her though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that Michael says that spoiler[his spear doesn't need to think, when, presumably, he (or God) was the one who gave Ezekiel the power to think. It's a small mirror of the "why does God let people do bad things?" issue, except here she's doing a good thing. ("good" in the same sense that war is "bad," that is)]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, things turned dark really quickly. I think I'm not clear on what the other witches get out of the war. What do they do to get their "coin"? It seems like they just hang around battlefields and watch and then go away. Confused
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I'm not clear on what the other witches get out of the war. What do they do to get their "coin"? It seems like they just hang around battlefields and watch and then go away. Confused

This is actually something I was also going to raise after watching this episode.

On the plus side, I think Ezekiel's development in this episode was pretty good. It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely an improvement. We got to see spoiler[her struggle with obeying God even if it meant hurting someone she cares about. The one major hangup I have with Ezekiel's arc though is that there hasn't been enough development between her and Maria for it to be all that believable that she cares as deeply about Maria as she appears to now.] That was sort of sudden. Maybe it's just a problem of the episode count not allowing for her transition to be more fleshed out.

That being said, I agree that the role and significance of the other witches has thus far bordered on total irrelevance. They don't seem to do anything other than float around above battles, chatting with each other. spoiler[Viv defending Maria from the soldiers] was pretty much the first time I can recall any of those other witches using their powers in any significant way. They feel like props right now - props who are there primarily as scenery rather than agents who have a purpose in this story.

Joseph was his usual friendly, "too good for her" self. I like him as a character, but he's also been fairly passive in this story. He seems to fill in as an audience stand in for our "worry" about Maria, as most scenes with him tend to have him worrying about her.

I'm not totally sure what to think about this episode overall. There was some decent emotional stuff with Ezekiel, but this was just another in the series of episodes where (1) men enter the field to battle, (2) Maria charges in to stop the fight, and (3) nothing is really resolved. The men don't change their desires to kill each other, and Maria continues to say she will do whatever she has to to stop them from fighting. It feels like the only significant change here was that spoiler[Galfa lost his arm and seems determined to do "something" to Maria. Given that the evil monk guy has been talking about using Galfa as a weapon for some time now, we have to assume that Galfa intends to either kill or rape Maria.] I truly hope it is not the latter, but either way, spoiler[the Galfa character seems to have gone on his "heel turn."] It almost feels like a waste of a character.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think it's something like the witches are getting paid for favors that will make the soldiers stronger or more successful or some such, so they're invested in the war as arms dealers might be. None of them are particularly flashy about it because if they were, they'd get the attention of the heavens (like Maria has).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think it's something like the witches are getting paid for favors that will make the soldiers stronger or more successful or some such, so they're invested in the war as arms dealers might be. None of them are particularly flashy about it because if they were, they'd get the attention of the heavens (like Maria has).

This would make sense. I do wish they would indicate something like this if it was the case, as it would help to flesh out the other witch characters so they wouldn't seem like just props.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The series has implied almost since the beginning that most of the other witches are more directly and personally involved in the kinds of activities that Maria uses Artemis for - i.e., information-gathering, raising morale, thwarting individual commanders' ability to fight, and so forth. Given Viv's comments over time, it's virtually certain that sex is a big part of that. Since they operate entirely behind-the-scenes, their role is done once the actual fighting starts, as far as they're concerned. They are unhappy with Maria because her interference is taking away their "agency," but so far they have existed to serve mostly as a contrast to Maria.

And the fact that Maria isn't making any headway in her efforts to stop the war is actually the point. It is too big and complex an issue even for someone as powerful as her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 28