• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal ANNCast: Brotherhood

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bt-01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast. And thank you Mike for saying almost everything I was thinking.

As for my suggestion for an anime reboot that more closely follows the manga:

Battle Angel Alita
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Amazing thread, so glad to see people that recognize FMA 2003 as the superior version of FMA. I really liked Brotherhood, but its first 12 eps are wretched, just terribly paced overly chibi trash that do a piss poor job with establishing an origin for the Elric brothers. And the homunculi were more interesting in general in 2003 and had a far more interesting reason for existing. Brotherhood had a golden opportunity to be the definitive FMA, its a sshae but yeah, FMA 2003 all the way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Amazing thread, glad so many people recognize the original FMA is a mess of characters wandering around with nothing to do.

Spu, spu, spoilers.

Seven alchemist {sorry Al, number 8, you lose} create seven homunculi, each one patterned on their loved one they're trying to return {Gluttony not included, sorry big guy. If he was human, I'd hate to see the corpse} in a forbidden technique {by who?} where only those seven tried it in around four hundred years.

Each sin exclusively their own, how ... stupid.

Oh, there's more. Somehow, there's someone controlling these separate entities, one involved in a government conspiracy... only for the point of there being a conspiracy. Nothing like having an entire country in your pocket to do something you've been doing on your own for hundreds of years. How... more stupid? Stupider? Dumber.

And dumberer. His secretary is the face and body of the Elric Brothers {seeing how Al is the Luigi in this series, I should just call them the Edward Brothers. When I got to the end and I was wondering what Al would look like these days, they turned him into Ed. Yeah, I was disappointed too} Edward Brothers' mother, whom they don't bother to recognize. Good thing it didn't work in the first place, it could have been awkward.

And dumberest. {Sure, call the first one character driven because the plot's a stinking pile. It's not like I would call you out on it. Wait, I mean, it's totally me to call you out on it}. Nazis, that old glorious chestnut "Well, we don't have any good villains. Quick, think of something." What did they think was a good idea? Father of the Year became one of the Master Race. You can not calculate how many puppies and kittens died from that "idea".

This wasn't my impression of the first series after watching Brotherhood. This was my impression of the series even before I read the manga.

Thank god that story actually made sense. And still, most people can't quite fathom the reason we don't have the perfect FMA is because the first series ruined the chance of a 75 plus episode adaptation {Main reason? Money. That part of the story is already there, just reference it lightly and move along}. Of course, I didn't hate it for that reason, I hated it because it was a story that wasted my time by going nowhere slow. Wait, that was Tsubasa. FMA was the confusing mess. I think...

I'd love to see it buried in that fabled hole where they have all those old Atari ET cartridges.

Oh sure, there are bright spots in the first series. But they really should have been in the second one first to get that one the structure it was supposed to have.

Was the point of having that outsider attack the Edward Brothers during their training? Why would Amestris Law allow people to pose as State Alchemists if the country is both military and fascist? Why have a flashback episode having a living Barry the Chopper menacing a very surviving Winry? Why did Ed have to fight Greed and why didn't Greed just run? Pride... did he have any kind of training at all? Wrath, ok, aging was stupid because he should have been an infant but didn't someone think that making him age would just raise questions of why the others didn't? Why did they just make Alchemy into a super power rather than keep it as a magical art? "Everyone just has a technique they're really good at. That's it. If they know the tricks, the rest can do it, kind of." Al, Al, Al, Al....

Ugh, damn this series.
[edited profusely during a blizzard]

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Well that's false, because Brotherhood got a movie and a bunch of OVAs as well. And I doubt you could prove how "most fans" felt about the franchise.
Were you alive in 2004? Keep runnin your mouth. This series was everywhere, you had to be there.
scriver058

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

An insane amount of nitpicking combined with a lack of imagination.

I can imagine your next point would be something like "why didn't Ed use his alchemy to manifest psychic powers to know how everything would go down?" I will address one point that is annoying me.

Quote:
a forbidden technique {by who?} where only those seven tried it in around four hundred years.

You have to know the exact first person to try it and tell his/her friends that its a bad idea? You how how gossip and hearsay works? And its painfully obvious from the characters that have done it that only top flight alchemists can even attempt human transmutation (open the gate) and get far enough along in the process to create homunculi. Maybe there were more than 7 alchemists that tried it and got homunculi, but not many more, and none important to the story.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the podcast, and was pleasantly surprised at how fair the criticisms against Brotherhood were, but I don’t think it was right to dismiss the manga/Brotherhood as something for those who want non-stop action and adventure. I feel the philosophical elements of the source material are more intriguing and better thought out than in the 2003 show. As well-executed as it might have been, cross-dimensional necromancy with “our world” just seems silly to me, and kind of takes away from the FMA world as a fully-realized setting in its own right.

I also felt the Homonculi were much better in the manga/Brotherhood if only due to their cohesion. The new concept behind their origin developed for the 2003 anime was shoe-horned into the original ideas from the manga in a way that just didn't fit. In the manga/Brotherhood story, everything falls into place the way it’s supposed to, and that made it more engaging and satisfying for me.

Still enjoy both shows, though. I hope 2003 gets a Blu-ray release here soon.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Intriguing ideas presented. I saw FMA:B a few years ago and marathoned it in a week. I loved it. Earlier this year I saw the original and loved it as well, but for very different reasons. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and they are very different shows with different themes and focusses. I think I'm going to go back to rewatch FMA:B soon to have a more well-rounded view on the franchise.
My main issue with FMA is the ending, and whether or not to count Conqueror of Shambala. Unlike most people (it seems), if I were to include the movie, I would think more highly of the series. Food for thought; I greatly enjoyed this podcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8