• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the sister was pretty off-putting. I give this show a score of Decent, or 6/10 if folks want to look at it that way. That's not a bad score to have, all things considered. The ingredients for this show made it tough for it to get much better than that.

I don't regret watching the show, but I also don't regret that it's over now. This show is pretty much the definition of "I didn't lose my time."
partially

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I liked the fact that the sister was a bit of a more serious take on the situation of incestous love though. And wasn't solely there for hurhur I love my brother drool.

That said the fact she was barely better than one of those types of characters dragged the show down. Rolling Eyes
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Overall I think the show deserves about a 6 or 7 out of 10. Didn't have any problems with the sister. They did a relatively decent job of showing her as actually caring about her brother, rather than some random bit of loli fanserivce thrown in for giggles and sighs. Her antagonism of Stella also played fairly well in a story whose setup meant pretty much only Ikki's sibling or rival love interest could play. They took both ideas, combined them, and the result was decent - not great, but decent.

I don't like the last two episodes. The base shounen-ness of the match with Toka is purely annoying. It is such a screaming "MC cloak of invincibility" stunt I don't even want to get into it. Don't care about the proposal. It changes absolutely nothing. They were boyfriend and girlfriend since about episode 3, and the other "love interests" are entirely unlikely to change the way they engage him, so the proposal is just a few words with no impact on anything story wise.

Finally, the art direction is far too gimmicky. Maybe if they were used throughout the series I could brush them off as just artistic choice of the show and begrudgingly move on from them (like the ever-increasingly annoying Shaft style). But the art-noir selective coloring from episode 11, and the "strange" sort of grunge 80's style fight scenes in this final episode, were terrible ideas. It's like when a Hollywood movie goes for a certain scene or a certain trope just to play up Oscar nomination talk, when the move on a whole shouldn't be in the discussion - like they forced it in to hit some check-mark even though it didn't really fit. They seemed to be pretending this was supposed to be an art-house masterpiece, when it was anything but. Unnecessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8