• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Things were looking pretty bad there for a moment but Katia stepped up in a big way. Also LOL at Gretel's disguise skills.

The rest of the gang have it pretty rough but damn it if Lise's psycho faces aren't entertaining.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

While I do find Katia still a bit annoying, I do admire her spirit and strong will while even managing to get Theodor back to his feet again. Seemed more like a buildup episode. Lise's personality also took a huge change with her reveal.

I agree about the lack of focus on Beatrix so far in particular characterization. Not really expecting more about her character up to this point now (unless show is a 2-cour which I heard isn't). Either way, I'm pretty curious to see what Theodor will do when he meets Lise again because that's pretty inevitable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Things were looking pretty bad there for a moment but Katia stepped up in a big way. Also LOL at Gretel's disguise skills.

The rest of the gang have it pretty rough but damn it if Lise's psycho faces aren't entertaining.

It is strangely amusing when a show goes all out for "Yandere faces".
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Yandere Lise is freaking me out.

But my ship is so cute :3

Quote:
While I do find Katia still a bit annoying

How can anyone possibly find this precious cinnamon roll "annoying"?

She's perceptive, mature, brave, and kind-hearted. She has no annoying traits to speak of.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's anything worth saving about Lise anymore, not after what she's done anyways. That was just a selfish and cold murder. Poor Pham...she didn't deserve that at all.

And also, I wonder how Katia would feel after hearing the bad news. At least now, Theodor realizes what just happened. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to kill Lise in the future. The girl is insane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
She's so broken that putting her down is the most merciful thing they can do.

Well, at least she was able to get one night with the one she loved.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Lise is totally insane. By herself she is so caught up with what she has gone through to even get to where she is, that she denies turning on that to create a system where things like that won't happen in the first place.

Right after calling Pham his big sister, his little sister, Lise, goes and kills her after she only shows concern for her. Lise is not biologically his sister either, so she did one major betrayal right there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Pham, they showed enough of her big sisterly behaviour that we understood her role in general and her death is saddening, but we never really saw her interact with Theodor specifically. So him finally calling her big sis and being enraged by her death is a bit hollow.

The show does a good job of giving us a general sense of the characters, even with those that have minimal focus like Annette and Sylvia we get a good sense of them as people. It's just their relationships with each other that could use stronger development (apparently Sylvia/Walter is a thing but where did that come from?)

The relationship with the best development isn't Theodor with Katia or Irisdina, but him with Lise. Mecha shows love their rivalries and Theodore and Lise's is pretty solid.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
but we never really saw her interact with Theodor specifically. So him finally calling her big sis and being enraged by her death is a bit hollow.

It's just their relationships with each other that could use stronger development (apparently Sylvia/Walter is a thing but where did that come from?)

Yeah I almost thought that I missed an episode or something. Pham and Theodor never appeared to be that close and the thing with Sylvia and Walter came out of nowhere. Walter has gotten so little screentime too. Sometimes I forget that he even exists.

They could have easily spread this show over 2 cours, but that might have made this less exciting. The central characters are getting enough development and I don't particulary care about Sylvia or that bulky dude (who was he again?) so I guess it works out fine even if some side characters are left underdeveloped.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
For perspective, Total Eclipse had 26 episodes to cover 6 novels while Schwarzesmarken has 12 episodes to cover 7 novels. A typical LN adaptation usually uses 12 episodes to cover 3-4 novels at 3-4 episodes a piece.

Under these circumstances Schwarzesmarken is actually holding together exceptionally well. The story is coherent and doesn't feel rushed. It sacrifices character interaction and harem hijinks for plot which results in some issues but nothing that hurts it too much.

Maybe it's not that great as a stand alone work, but as an adaptation I'm quite impressed.

Though I wonder if they left in scenes like this:

Or this:

Would opinions go up or down?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Though I wonder if they left in scenes like this:

Whimsy is fine in the VN format as it is in between long segments of reading about the BETA or Stasi doing there business almost ad nauseum and it becomes numbing without something breaking between the scenes.

This is how some VNs work, you give moments of light and dark and the audience assumedly enjoys the differing moments in place of simply jackhammering away with how horrible life in universe is.
It is fine to paint the anime adaptation of Scwhwarzmarken with mainly a grimdark scenario as the audience can come back to the content a week between episode releases.

I could be wrong on this, but Schwarzmarken the anime might not be a series that would work as well wholesale binge watching, at the very least the source material as an experience would more than likely be the more appropriate way to get your Muv Luv going.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Whimsy harem hijinks don't fit into this anime....I don't think. I'm sure it works for the game and novels....but combined with the tone of this show, nope. It's too dark and serious.

Lise is so gone. Theodor, just kill her. :/

But I wonder if he even can?

Maybe someone else should do it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Whimsy harem hijinks don't fit into this anime....I don't think. I'm sure it works for the game and novels....but combined with the tone of this show, nope. It's too dark and serious.

Perhaps. But scenes like the squad having a snowball fight or Irisdina, Theodor, and Katia spending a day off in town would have gone a long way towards strengthening the bond between the characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Called it!

A fitting end for Lise. Yes, I think she got what was coming to her after putting others through pain and suffering including Pham in the previous episode.

This is definitely something Theodor will never forget either though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lise did some bad things, but she was also another victim. The compassion she received at the end isn't unwarranted.

It's Axxman who deserves the slow and painful treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10