• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Otaku On the Receiving End of GOP Strategist's Trump Supporter Insult

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm an Otaku who "sometimes" masturbates to Anime and I am also a Republican of course I'm not offend by this and will only Vote for Trump if he's the Republican presidential candidate in the 2016 election Yes I hate Democrats that much.

#Keep on Rocking in the Free World! Rolling Eyes
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Trump will be the man to bring MD Geist 3! Vote Trump 2016!

He'll get it done, he's a negotiator, that's what he does. Look he's got money, he doesn't need your money. He can make whatever he wants.

Foxaika wrote:
Dang I was hoping for more proper loli series. Rip dreams Crying or Very sad

This is why we lose to China. We have to be a country here. Our money's going out and the lolis are coming in. We need to build a wall here, they let the bad ones in and we pay for them.

Ali07 wrote:

Lili-Hime wrote:
WashuTakahashi wrote:

Amen! xD I was thinking the same thing while reading this xD But, you know, women don't masturbate. =P

We don't? O_o I never got that memo....

No, you don't!

Well damn I guess I must be wasting a ton of money on batteries then, silly me
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

You forgot the other nine people, they make laws just about as much as congress Wink

Supreme court doesn't make laws they do determine the constitutionality or fairness of laws or court cases.

You have heard of legislating from the bench, haven't you? @Wandering Samurai I did consider them as well but judging that they nominally only have the role BadNewsBlues, I did not include them.

Trump plays into a common urge in presidential democracies for one guy who will fix everything. Just as now, when there is divided government, usually gridlock ensues, which understandably pisses people off. Many people believe that if the president wills it enough or schmoozes enough, his opponents will do what he says, which was coined the Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency. This however is false. Say you are a congressman from a very Republican district and if you vote for this thing Obama wants, your constituents will vote you out of office. There is nothing the president can say or do to change those facts, especially with earmarks being cut down on and trust in institutions so low. Even a president known for bending congress to his will like LBJ only got most of his stuff through when he had big majorities. After they were gone, stuff stopped going through. So if there is divided government, in a presidential democracy nothing gets done aside from bipartisan, necessary, or pointless things (sorry post office naming). Since both parties can legitimately claim popular mandate, this presents a problem, namely who represents the people? Now in a lot of presidential democracies this issue has resulted in the president (or the military) seizing dictatorial power to resolve this, obviously an undesirable outcome. But there is a reason that the people let this happen. People want stuff to get done and to get fixed. But from the design of the system, with divided government this doesn't happen. Then you get someone who says I know how to fix things, so give me the power to do so. And they do that, the people and the dictator. As horrible as Hitler was, he did fix the German economy, albeit in the worst way possible and only temporarily but for let's say military reasons and not economic ones. And they frequently blame the problems on the others, usually foreigners. Kinda reminds you of Trump right? Well according to a recent poll, that's not far off. He was the only candidate that was supported by authoritarians, that is people who obey and value obedience. They frequently fear the others as well. What they like about Trump is he says he knows how to fix the country and you just have to vote for him and do what he says. He also says stuff about the others out loud (specifically Mexicans and Muslims) that other Republicans only dog whistle. I hope and believe he won't be president but if American democracy dies, this is how it will happen, freely given up to fix the country and probably to get rid of the others. Now I hope if he became president and went all dictatory that the Republicans would join Democrats to impeach him, so I don't think he'll succeed, but people will be tempted. Personally I don't want someone who says "I know what to do to fix the country. Believe me". I would prefer someone who gives us their plan to fix the country in detail so we can see if it is realistic. Trust but verify. I also prefer them to be more Hanekawa than Gaen, that is "I don't know everything. I only know what I know" versus I know everything, but such intellectual modesty is not generally valued in politicians.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
Problem there is that if a candidate tells you their exact plan for fixing the country, they're going to run into opposition who will want to stop it before they gain the power to actually try it. Hence, I think that most candidates, from the primary phase and onwards, will talk about what they want to do but keep it nebulous to keep their opponents guessing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
Otaku On the Receiving End of GOP Strategist's Trump Supporter Insult

ANN: "Hey! We resemble that remark!"

Some friends: "Hey! But we're not Trump supporters!"
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Lili-Hime wrote:
WashuTakahashi wrote:

Amen! xD I was thinking the same thing while reading this xD But, you know, women don't masturbate. =P

We don't? O_o I never got that memo....

No, you don't!

Well damn I guess I must be wasting a ton of money on batteries then, silly me

I just assume you have a lot of TVs, BD players, and the like...and no universal control. So, you've got a lot of controls that need their batteries! Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Problem there is that if a candidate tells you their exact plan for fixing the country, they're going to run into opposition who will want to stop it before they gain the power to actually try it. Hence, I think that most candidates, from the primary phase and onwards, will talk about what they want to do but keep it nebulous to keep their opponents guessing.

They'll face opposition from the other party's candidates and press even for their nebulous plans or more likely the version of their plan in their opponents' heads. Now obviously strategic and tactical plans will be kept to themselves, but on specific policy areas they will get more specific. They have put out plans in different areas. It hasn't always helped them (see every Republicans tax plan) but for the sake of informing the public, it is necessary. There is one area I expect for them to remain nebulous though, which is foreign policy, especially on ISIS. That's because all of them, Republican and Democrat, even Trump have the same plan, which is do pretty much what Obama is already doing but better in some vague way. None of them frame it that way and there are rhetorical differences, but the plan is bomb them and use special forces (check) and develop local forces to fight them on the ground (not going very well, and could take quite some time). Now this could likely change when they get into office (various steps short of a ground war, likely sliding into a ground war when those don't work [sarcasm]Yey[/sarcasm]). This is easier for Republicans since they can just blame Obama, even while they cop his plan. The Democratic candidates are left awkwardly trying to frame the status quo as something else but without blaming Obama. Well no one votes on foreign policy anyways, so it shouldn't be too huge a problem for the voters who were going to vote for them.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
As an otaku Trump supporter, this comment amuses me. Though, I don't masturbate as my hands don't feel good.

Anyways, there may be some overlap for those who are anti-PC, but it's not like all otaku are such or enough so to support Trump.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Careful, GOP, I think Trump's looniness is rubbing off on you (innuendo not intended).

In all seriousness, though, Trump is the only person on the planet for whom comparisons to Hitler actually make sense. Anyone who plans to vote for him needs to think very carefully about that decision, before it's too late. Those who do not learn history...
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm an Republican Otaku who is not voting for trump. I don't think he make a great president but better then obama or Hillary or barney sanders.
All in seriousness you do realize this guy was on MSNBC the channel where journalism ethics and the truth are 99% of the time left at home.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
I'm an Republican Otaku who is not voting for trump. I don't think he make a great president but better then obama or Hillary or barney sanders.
All in seriousness you do realize this guy was on MSNBC the channel where journalism ethics and the truth are 99% of the time left at home.

The guy was a Republican political operative, so if anything they put him on to make them look bad, not to misinform people that it is the truth. Speaking of cable news, there was a study done and not only were Fox News viewers less informed than those who watched CNN or MSNBC, they were also less informed than those who didn't even watch the news. They are actively misinforming their viewers. Not saying MSNBC is good but they are not equivalent to Fox News. This sort of thing is why I get my news from the internet. Cable news is crap.

Oh if he becomes the president or the nominee, he would actively destroy the Republican brand, so I wouldn't be so hasty to say he would be better than any of the Democrats.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

The guy was a Republican political operative, so if anything they put him on to make them look bad, not to misinform people that it is the truth. Speaking of cable news, there was a study done and not only were Fox News viewers less informed than those who watched CNN or MSNBC, they were also less informed than those who didn't even watch the news.

I would take a study like that with less than a grain of salt. Not trying to really defend Fox News, but there is no way that study wasn't full of all kinds of bias.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Careful, GOP, I think Trump's looniness is rubbing off on you (innuendo not intended).

In all seriousness, though, Trump is the only person on the planet for whom comparisons to Hitler actually make sense. Anyone who plans to vote for him needs to think very carefully about that decision, before it's too late. Those who do not learn history...

While I can see why you think that (such as with his anti-Islam rhetoric), I don't see America going out of its way to send US citizen Muslims to interment camps a la WWII, much less death camps. It's perfectly constitutional to prevent people from entering America for any given reason, as the Bill of Rights only fully applies to citizens. I don't completely agree, but that's the way it is. I'm personally more worried with how one of the first things Hitler did was increased gun control and the increased push for gun control because of the serial killings, but that's an argument for a different time and place.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Look like after someone from the New York Magazine declare that anime avatars should be blocked, the Rick Wilson statement finally convince the New Republic to analyze the connection between anime and totalitarianism.

Last edited by Nacirema on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

While I can see why you think that (such as with his anti-Islam rhetoric), I don't see America going out of its way to send US citizen Muslims to interment camps a la WWII, much less death camps. It's perfectly constitutional to prevent people from entering America for any given reason, as the Bill of Rights only fully applies to citizens. I don't completely agree, but that's the way it is. I'm personally more worried with how one of the first things Hitler did was increased gun control and the increased push for gun control because of the serial killings, but that's an argument for a different time and place.

Actually the treaty of Versailles is what increased gun control in Germany after WWI. Hitler actually decreased gun control as a way to rearm Germany. Whatever you believe, I think gun rights supporters vastly overestimate the ability of citizens with light firearms to take down countries. Specifically for the Nazis, they defeated several countries' armies so I think a couple of armed citizens would be as dead as the ones who went to the camps. It just would have happened quicker. There were armed Jewish bands in Nazi controlled areas trying to fight back, but needless to say, they didn't defeat them. I mean even back then armies had tanks, bombers, warships and nowadays have drones and cruise missiles. You think a bunch of guys with hand guns and assault rifles will take down the military? No way. Even a weaker military like Assad's had held out against armed rebels for years and probably will for years to come, perhaps controlling Alawite enclaves for a quite a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10