• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
A bit of a note but the Xenosaga anime was ADV's dub, they also dubbed Devil May Cry as well where in that case, they only brought back Dante's VA (from Devil May Cry 3 & 4) but under an alias.

Oops, yeah you're right, thanks for the correction. Should have known that since I have the original 3 ADV dvds.

Dessa wrote:
I actually got a chance to ask Richard Epcar about the Xenosaga dub. He's apparently good friends with Chris Ayres (the ADR Director), and Chris apparently didn't know that there WAS a pre-existing cast, or he would have tried to get them back.

Aww, that's a shame. The first game had pretty good press coverage so it's a shame no one made him aware. Oh well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
Mitsudomoe is an Aniplex of Japan license, so the chances of it being picked up by anyone other than AoA is nigh improbable. Since AoA never bothered licensing it, I'd say it'll probably never happen as an NA license.

Poor Dog Days. I'd settle for streaming only for '', but we didn't get even that much Sad

Vannil wrote:
The first season of milky holmes was licensed and streamed on Crunchyroll at one point, but the licensed seemed to have lapsed. I remember watching the first two series and it being pretty meh.

Funimation themselves streamed at least one season for a time, as part of their deal with NicoNico.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Many of their collaboration titles with Crunchyroll will probably end up being sub-only it seems. It's unfortunate.

If you mean the titles that CR itself had already announced prior to the partnership, all of those were announced as having a dub.

If you are referring to any future titles, that remains to be seen. I would expect Funimation to concentrate on CR titles they consider "dub worthy".

I mean the scores of other CR titles that do not have confirmed dubs, and Omamori Himari's release indicates that they are not above just throwing out a cheapo sub only release for some of them instead of dubbing everything.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Key wrote:
Add me to the chorus of people who are happy to see Scrapped Princess get licensed-rescued. Although I have the DVDs, I've never liked the menus on them and the video quality isn't the greatest on 1080 HDTVs. It's a series well worth double-dipping for to get it on Blu-Ray; I'd easily rank it among the top 20 series of the 2000s.

Can you explain how spoiler[that ship exploded with everyone on board but nobody died but they were all separated when they...something; Escaped? Were ejected?... and the only solid negative result was that the main character ended up with amnesia as even the ship itself was ok?]

It's honestly been several years since I've watched it (gonna finally buy it and re-watch when this drops), so I'm not an expert, but I'll take a crack at this since it seems no one else has answered.

If you are talking about what I think you are, spoiler[ The two siblings you see die in the flashback are not the same characters as in the main plot. The Casull twins are basically clones of those two that died, though only genetically. So, they did not survive the ship and get amnesia. As for Zefiris, the other character in that flashback, she is an AI of sorts and did not "die" for other reasons.]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scrapped_Princess_characters

Scrapped Princess in somewhere in my top ten, so I felt compelled to answer. It would be a shame for someone to miss out on the show for a misunderstanding.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I mean the scores of other CR titles that do not have confirmed dubs, and Omamori Himari's release indicates that they are not above just throwing out a cheapo sub only release for some of them instead of dubbing everything.

You seem to be implying that Omamori Himari came via CR rather than directly from Kadokawa. The former is unlikely, given that it was announced as licensed by Funimation in over 3 weeks prior to the announcement of the partnership:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-12/funimation-licenses-sword-of-the-stranger-anime-film-omamori-himari-and-good-luck-ninomiya-kun-tv-anime/.105329
Duelist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

You seem to be implying that Omamori Himari came via CR rather than directly from Kadokawa. The former is unlikely, given that it was announced as licensed by Funimation in over 3 weeks prior to the announcement of the partnership:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-12/funimation-licenses-sword-of-the-stranger-anime-film-omamori-himari-and-good-luck-ninomiya-kun-tv-anime/.105329

Can anyone tell me what the history of Omamori Himari is with FUNimation? According to my friend they may have simulcast it back when it first aired but then like I remembered the series existed like a few weeks ago and then coincidentally a physical release was suddenly set to release this month. Frankly I'm surprised FUNi isn't dubbing it, it's a very FUNi fanservicey show from what I remember.

Last edited by Duelist on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Duelist wrote:

Can anyone tell me what that history of Omamori Himari is with FUNimation? According to my friend they may have simulcast it back when it first aired but then like I remembered the series existed like a few weeks ago and then coincidentally a physical release was suddenly set to release this month. Frankly I'm surprised FUNi isn't dubbing it, it's a very FUNi fanservicey show from what I remember.

I don't recall Funimation having anything to do with the series until their acquisition announcement in August.

The series was originally simulcast by CR:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-597045/winter-simulcasts-omamori-himari

Around the time the simulcast was ended, a notice was posted on the pages for Kadokawa titles that they would be removed 90 days after the simulcast ended, which as I recall did occur. The series returned soon thereafter, however, only to be gone again in 2014, along with a number of other Kadokawa titles:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-864201/marathon-time
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Duelist wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the history of Omamori Himari is with FUNimation? According to my friend they may have simulcast it back when it first aired

My recollection is that it was only streamed on Crunchyroll, but it was included in a poll of titles people wanted to see licensed that Funimation ran.
(although I should mention that for reasons unknown I keep mixing Omamori Himari up with Otome Youkai Zakuro)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
If Funi was not doing so many simulcasts and broadcast dubs (like limit each to 5 per debuting show each season), then they might be able to release some more of the sub-only with dubs. Though I mostly stream anime, there's the chance they might develop a sub-only catalog remotely comparable to Sentai.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
... (although I should mention that for reasons unknown I keep mixing Omamori Himari up with Otome Youkai Zakuro)

Shocked How? Aside from both featuring yokai/spirit, one is seinen in a historic setting, while the other is your typical harem.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
So glad to see Nichijou being released on B/D A/1 ..but yeh NO DUB AAAAAGH.
I've already tweeted to FUNI begging for a dub ...and ill be talking on their forum soon as new site launches .... I recommend anyone wanting one to do the same ....and talk about it on as many forum sites as possible.
I still pre-ordered SUB from rightstuf to show some love .
JUUUST bough anime legends set of Scrapped Princess 6 months ago and watched 3months ago ..so ill wait on that and Wolfs Rain (watched a year ago ) till the price drop .

i would think if enough NOISE was made about a Nichijou Dub ...it would get Funi's attention
and Hopefully cause this great show to be dubbed .
~Let your voices be heard .... CONSUMER POWER
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8