• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Centaur's Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm curious: people tailing their friend(s) on a date to see what happens is a stock anime premise, but has anyone ever actually done this?

Never done it in my life, but I do think that nowadays it is more feasible than ever. Let's not forget you do not have to be the size of a centaur to be easily spotted (unless you have some kind of CIA training); if there is a big crowd it would means you will lose line of sight pretty easily. But with drones it becomes feasible to see (and with microphone with shadped to concentrate sound) and hear someone from the skies. Also, you might mount a hidden bodycam with a microphone in their clothes and with a 3g connection it would be like being right there until the battery runs out. Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but feasible (at a cost!) is very different from doing it. I can't even imagine wanting to do it unless you have some sort of voyeurism fetish. oO

It's true there are some weird situations where I wish I could've been a fly on the wall to hear how it went down, but none of those have ever involved the romantic life of my friends, or anyone else.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one that laughed when big-sis said their father was an important person and the triplets were like "really?"? This guy is going to be thrown into a nursing home like homer's dad asap when he reaches the right age.

Also, Sue is supercute, who would not want to adpot a meek angel cat? Although she will probably will grow to conquer the world if her big sister is a clue of her personality later in life.

While visually this series could have been better, it has been a must watch each week; whereas a series with better graphics/animation but sub par plotline would not. Looking forward to next season Frankstein Family to see if another chinese cartoon can fill the hole this series will leave.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 was pretty adorable with the Chi-chans, Sue-chan and Shino-chan. Hopefully these cute kids don't get thrown in a gulag or something. Ya just never know with this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure which was my favorite scene - all the girls, including Sue-chan, covering their heads against getting smacked, or Shino-chan's accusatory tone when she said, "You saw us looking at the flowers yesterday, right. [and yet you still pulled them up just to spite us!]" Cuteness OD.

I guess I'm kinda surprised this world still has a "Prettiest Person" contest, even if it was supposedly originally about peace or whatever. Strikes me as discriminatory.

Btw, a 6-legged dog has 50% more legs than a 4-legged one, not 150%. It has a total of 150% of the legs that our dogs have. Smile
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hime (with her bow skills) the rogue

I will have to disagree, she is the ranger (aka archer from FS/N), rogues never go on the combat frontline and their signature move is the backstab, something I can't picture Hime ever doing. Yeah, an adventuring party without a rogue, no wonder they fell into a trap with ease.

I liked how Kyouko had to write glyphs on the ground while Nozomi desperately tried to keep the monster at bay. Would have liked the monsters to drop some armor, to make it more apparent how illogical the whole drop stuff thing is.

Quote:
then Hime – who doesn't even know why they're all arm wrestling –

My take is that Hime knows she will win hands down, but she does not like being called a gorilla girl (that is why she lost on purpose until sexually harrased threatened with some group skinship), so she is trying to discourage the group from doing the whole competition. Now that she has official won poor Hime will probably be pushed to enter professional armwrestling matches. No, seriously, a teenager just won the national torunament. bonus twitter photo.

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's just because she's a centaur or what, but archery seems like it'd do a lot to build your biceps and triceps too.

She did say it was due to lifting her cousin and it makes sense, back when I saw Hime lift Shino and one of the triplets I thought "wow, now that is some serious (back and) arm strength" since a pony weights about 200kg (even half or a quarter of that is a lot)..

Last edited by mangamuscle on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time we've been shown this world's "humans"? That opens a whole nother can of worms we'll never see examined further. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I was putting some theories in the series discussion thread that the topic of the last episode was kind of itself. The first half being about RPG stories, which probably have some credit to the raise of monster people (girls) stories, and is it hard to compare the skimpy outfits to say Monster Musume? For the second half, I thought that Hime asking why they were doing an arm wrestling contest to maybe be a part of how this show was pretty slice of life, and or trying to point out the what the purpose was. When really it kind of felt like the show rarely said what purpose it might have despite it must be having one, like why monster girls, and yet a test of the differences between them all could be reason enough, Hime made the main heroine even over Maname.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was putting some theories in the series discussion thread that the topic of the last episode was kind of itself. The first half being about RPG stories, which probably have some credit to the raise of monster people (girls) stories, and is it hard to compare the skimpy outfits to say Monster Musume? For the second half, I thought that Hime asking why they were doing an arm wrestling contest to maybe be a part of how this show was pretty slice of life, and or trying to point out the what the purpose was. When really it kind of felt like the show rarely said what purpose it might have despite it must be having one, like why monster girls, and yet a test of the differences between them all could be reason enough, Hime made the main heroine even over Maname.

Totally, the show had next to no reason to exist. The arm wrestling is a great statement of the entire series. It started with showing an ultra PC monster human society where the students were afraid to even be friends with one another lest they be taken to be re-educated. Then it just, flopped about like a Magicarp out of water bouncing yuri themes and nonsense plot till this episode.

Won't miss this series. It's one of the ones like Shiwase no Pan where I question the sanity of why it was greenlit for an anime.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is this the first time we've been shown this world's "humans"? That opens a whole nother can of worms we'll never see examined further. Smile
I recall the characters referring to themselves as "humans" in an earlier episode, when contrasting themselves to the Antarcticans. I'm assuming that in this universe the word just means "sentient mammals".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
It seemed weird that they'd say it was ok to kill the monster because it was a human (i.e., had only 4 limbs?), especially so if they include themselves in the definition of human.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
^That seemed more like another joke about the political climate in the show's world, this time at the expense of animal welfare groups: "If we kill a (non-sentient) animal they'll kick up a fuss, but if we kill a fellow human it's a-okay!"
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
At 19:26 in the 12 episode, ekiben in this context means "Having sex standing up". Found it out on urban dictionary. I thought it was something sexual so I looked it up. turns out I am right.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the last episode of this show is dreadful. Every episode so far has had something keeping me coming back, and several things that were offputting. But they saved the worst until last...very little redeemable about the last episode. Such a frustrating series in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8